Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Breastmilk and Kombucha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry hardly at all about what you eat while nursing. Your body takes what you eat, filters it like whoa, nutrients go into your bloodstream and then get cherrypicked to make your milk. (Eg. if you drink a glass of wine that's 10% alcohol and it brings your BAC to .015%, then your milk can't be any higher than that. It just can't!) So just because the sugar in broccoli makes you fart when you *can't digest it* and it hits your gut bacteria, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your babies potentially farting slightly more or less when you eat broccoli, you know? Now, there's a small chance that the flavors in your food do come through a little, just like you sweat a bit of garlic if you overdo it? Well...so eat ALL THE THINGS and make those babies love all the flavors.

I was pretty paranoid with my firstborn about dairy this and gluten that, trying so hard to figure out what might make him sleep more or fuss less, being so sure of the connection when I'd have a sprinkle of cheese on my food and then he'd fuss a little more that day...but honestly, food sensitivity is such a huge thing and doing a casual trial run of cutting something out here and there is just not likely to be relevant. Babies fuss. For a bazillion reasons. Even if you could do trial and error perfectly and isolate the one culprit...they grow so fast that today's sensitivities (or trouble coordinating their wiggling well enough to get the farts out, or the amount of time spent upright vs. prone, etc.) could be history by tomorrow. The one constant is that mother's milk is the best thing going for a baby human. Unless you have a real compelling reason to change something, just feed those babies! If they need more hindmilk they nurse longer. If they need more hydration they snack in short bursts. If they're growing and your milk is playing catch-up, they nurse longer (milk production is continual, they're always getting something.) If it's evening and they're preparing for a longer sleep, they snack and stretch their little tummies bit-by-bit. Babies know, and milk adapts! It's a pretty sweet system.

That said, it can be nice to have some tools in your toolbox for helping them out of a negative feedback loop (when they are fussing and then getting upset because they are fussing, something like the Harvey Karp 5 S routine can be a lifesaver!) but otherwise I'd say just go with the flow, meet today and today's fusses as they come, because tomorrow will be another day with babies who are a whole other day older. And before you know it, they aren't babies any more...the days are long, but the years are scary short. (Freaking out that my little firstborn is just days away from being nine. NINE!)
    Alison

Comment

Yes, yes, yes to everything [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] said.

Comment

Thanks guys! Babies fine. Kale kombucha and all... They are gassy, but that's nothing new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you're fine. Also, this is good practice for ignoring unsolicited advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X