Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

toddler speech update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alison View Post
    It's finally starting to pick up for C!
    All of a sudden, I asked her if her socks had gotten wet, and she said "not wet!" And she will go up to her sister and say "you ok?" Finally!!!
    Fantastic! In the last week E has been trying to say three syllable words. I feel like I'm playing a horrible game of mad gab but it's hilariously cute.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by L.Jane; 07-31-2016, 09:34 AM.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

That is great! 3-syllable words are hard. Do you have any examples of what he's saying?
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

That is great! 3-syllable words are hard. Do you have any examples of what he's saying?
        He is obsessed with vehicles, so one of them is helicoptor. Which I now realize is more than three syllables. He is copying everything now! We were at the dinner table and DH says something like, oh well, and sighs and E next to him copies him exactly. Its hilarious. His pronunciation is still awful. I try and correct (banana, not mananah, sock, not hock) but he tries it once and is like, nope, prefer it my way. Stubborn little guy. He just doesn't like to say certain letters, even though I know he can (B, S, P)
        -L.Jane

Comment

We have more words all the time, but still very poor articulation. I can't tell the difference (except using cues) between hot, hop, and hat, because they're all "ha". Chalk is "cha", bear is "bea", mine is "my", more is "mo", etc. etc. I'm gradually leaning to distinguish more words but it's partly my own understanding developing, and only partly her speech improving. I have a feeling there are a lot more words just under the surface that she's just not articulating well enough for me to understand yet. She babbles a lot, and then looks at me like I should know what she's saying. She has more that 10 words total, but only 4 that are articulated well. But that's a huge change from even a month ago, so I guess I'll take it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
            We have more words all the time, but still very poor articulation. I can't tell the difference (except using cues) between hot, hop, and hat, because they're all "ha". Chalk is "cha", bear is "bea", mine is "my", more is "mo", etc. etc. I'm gradually leaning to distinguish more words but it's partly my own understanding developing, and only partly her speech improving. I have a feeling there are a lot more words just under the surface that she's just not articulating well enough for me to understand yet. She babbles a lot, and then looks at me like I should know what she's saying. She has more that 10 words total, but only 4 that are articulated well. But that's a huge change from even a month ago, so I guess I'll take it.
            Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thats great! E also is hard to distinguish between hot, hop, and hat, but its getting better. It sounds like she is going to get a lot of new words soon!
            -L.Jane

Comment

I just got C evaluated. A woman from the clinic came to evaluate motor skills, cognition, and speech. So, C is a few months behind in what she is able to express, but her receptive knowledge is above average (as in, she's able to follow pretty complicated directions). They aren't recommending therapy for her, because she was able to say things like "where'd it go?" during the evaluation. Go figure. All this time, she has only had a vocabulary of 10 words, most of which no one can understand, and today she puts together a 3 word sentence with a contraction.

Motor skills wise, she's where a 4 year old is, because she demonstrated multiple hops on one foot, and holding a pencil correctly. We sort of figured this, because she's more coordinated in certain areas than her older sister.

This child!!! It is definitely a relief and good to have gotten an outside opinion. I feel like an idiot, but I swear to you, it just seemed like C wasn't making much progress.
              Last edited by alison; 10-04-2016, 02:47 PM.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

This child!!! It is definitely a relief and good to have gotten an outside opinion. I feel like an idiot, but I swear to you, it just seemed like C wasn't making much progress.
                It sounds like things are coming along and she is just going to do everything at her own pace! I'm glad you feel relieved.
                -L.Jane

Comment

Working...
                X