Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Rock n Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
    I *just* bought one used for this next kid and was telling DH about this today. I'm torn, because I read reports elsewhere about younger babies dying due to airway cutoff in the incline position, but then again that same risk is present in a swing or carseat. Actually, I've never heard of a death this way in a carseat and you'd think them being rear facing away from you for an extended period of time would be a huge risk!

I think I'm disinclined to actually let the kid sleep the whole night in it, but let's be honest--he's going to sleep in my arm attached to my boob the whole night anyway, just like the rest of them.
    The carseat deaths are when the carseat is out of the car and not properly leveled. That said, k1 slept in his carseat all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

That makes sense. The swing, rockaroo, and bouncer we have are all about the same incline though. I guess the difference is they aren't marketed as sleepers, but that sure is how they are used!

Honestly, if infant carriers have the same risk, they are in the same boat. They aren't marketed as sleepers, but the design itself implies use outside of the car.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

That's what gets me. The president of the AAP said something like " Just because it's marketed as a sleeper, that doesn't mean it's a safe option." That's pretty messed up. It's like selling a car seat that may not protect your child in an accident.
        I'm annoyed that it was up to Consumer Reports to bring this to light and then the AAP piggy backs on that and says "ok, we just realized it's probably not safe for any infant." Seems like there should be a little more oversight before these things are marketed, especially when it comes to baby gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I just read that Fisher Price officially recalled it. Now I feel like I can't use it. Does that change things for everyone who planned on using it? I'm probably more disappointed than I should be about this but we have so much going on. I need something portable for the upcoming move.
          Last edited by MrsC; 04-13-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I wont use it now. I sort of wonder if it is overblown (I'm looking at my rockaroo and wondering how the two are really all that different), but mentally the guilt would get to me every time.

Of course, I'm not going to get anything for the one I have since I bought it used. Figures.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Same here. I think it's overblown because of the media attention but I couldn't on good conscience use it.

Apparently if it's more than 6 months old, you send them a part and they'll send a voucher for Fisher Price. Mine is a couple of years old but it's worth a try.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

You have to have the original purchase/receipt date. Since I bought it secondhand, I assume I out of luck

Comment

Can someone explain the doc-a-tot trend to me? Technically you’re not supposed to let baby sleep in it unsupervised, but among the moms I know it’s totally common to put the doc-a-tot in the crib overnight. If people are switching from the RNP to the doc-a-tot as the “safer” alternative, isn’t it just a matter of time until these are recalled too? Or am I missing something, and they’re actually safe?

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                    Can someone explain the doc-a-tot trend to me? Technically you’re not supposed to let baby sleep in it unsupervised, but among the moms I know it’s totally common to put the doc-a-tot in the crib overnight. If people are switching from the RNP to the doc-a-tot as the “safer” alternative, isn’t it just a matter of time until these are recalled too? Or am I missing something, and they’re actually safe?
                    It makes absolutely zero sense to me, too. I can't understand the appeal or how people are convincing themselves it's safe.
                    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Also never quite understood them. Especially for the price.

Comment

Working...
                      X