Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nursing Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing Strike

#4 is 10 months old and has been backing off nursing, which is pretty normal for my kids. 3 days ago, he quit entirely very suddenly. He is cutting his top three teeth and started biting every time I tried to nurse him. I told him no, he cried, and now he gets pissed if I even offer anymore. He happily goes for a water cup instead. It's been 72 hours since he nursed, save for one time in the middle of the night 2 days ago I got him to eat. No luck since.

This is totally new for me. I've never had a kid do this or wean before my supply was pretty much gone on its own. 12-14 months for the other kids. It is definitely NOT gone because jeez my boobs are feeling it!

Should I keep offering? Honestly, I don't mind if he weans but I wonder if I'm being too hasty because he's teething. And what do I need to do as far as formula or cow/goats milk til he is 1?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I'd keep offering just in case, and switch to formula until 1 (or whatever you express--your poor boobs!). This happened to my BFF recently, around some age. Baby started nursing again after a few days but was ready to be done and self weaned right before 1.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Little lady did the same thing right around 11 months. She was teething and I think sucking was painful for her. I pumped a little for relief and kept offering. She started nursing again on the third day. I found she was more willing when not in the usual position. Sitting up was a novelty and that got her to latch on again. I altered Tylenol/ibuprofen for teething pain too. She's showing no signs of weaning now at 14 months!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        #4 is 10 months old and has been backing off nursing, which is pretty normal for my kids. 3 days ago, he quit entirely very suddenly. He is cutting his top three teeth and started biting every time I tried to nurse him. I told him no, he cried, and now he gets pissed if I even offer anymore. He happily goes for a water cup instead. It's been 72 hours since he nursed, save for one time in the middle of the night 2 days ago I got him to eat. No luck since.

This is totally new for me. I've never had a kid do this or wean before my supply was pretty much gone on its own. 12-14 months for the other kids. It is definitely NOT gone because jeez my boobs are feeling it!

Should I keep offering? Honestly, I don't mind if he weans but I wonder if I'm being too hasty because he's teething. And what do I need to do as far as formula or cow/goats milk til he is 1?
        Could you be pregnant? K1 abruptly stopped nursing at 11 months, when I was about 2 months along with K2. I think my milk tasted different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
          Could you be pregnant? K1 abruptly stopped nursing at 11 months, when I was about 2 months along with K2. I think my milk tasted different.

Same with our nanny. Immediate nursing strike at 8 weeks pregnant with #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
            Same with our nanny. Immediate nursing strike at 8 weeks pregnant with #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            And SoonerTexan just had an heart attack. We have frightened her to death and she will never be heard from again.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

And SoonerTexan just had an heart attack. We have frightened her to death and she will never be heard from again.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Buhahahaha!
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Lol well it should be biologically impossible (I haven't ovulated yet this cycle), but I took a test anyway and it was negative. That would be quite the birthday surprise.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Hahaha. There's so gonna be a post COVID baby boom.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                    X