Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone had a serious sports injury in a child?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had a serious sports injury in a child?

So.....DS has a torn ACL. Great news.

We are off to the ortho tomorrow to discuss options. The ortho wouldn't even talk about it before the MRI because he didn't want to "cross that bridge unless we have to". He did tell me it was a complex issue. From what I gather, since DS is 11, surgery is not recommended. It can cause issues with the growth plate and it is usually safer to delay until after he's done growing. So, he will have an unstable knee for all of middle school and high school? No high risk sports? Like football, basketball and *gasp* soccer? Egad. That's a blow. I feel bad that he's been playing since age 5 and is on all these competitive teams -- and now -- that may be off the table for high school. We live in a town that worships high school/rec sports. He's always played rec sports and all the social life around here centers on that. DS is not that athletic but he's managed to do well with soccer all along. (Travel teams and what have you.) I hope I'm just in mommy panic mode.

:badday:

Damn internet. I know I should wait for the appointment tomorrow before I think about what's off the table and what he can do from now on. I know we can't do basketball, skiing or indoor soccer. Baseball? Fencing? I wish the kid liked swimming. I never pushed that. I've never been an overscheduling mom so soccer has been his one big focus. We've just lost his only activity outside of school. I'm glad I signed him up for guitar this winter.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Re: Anyone had a serious sports injury in a child?

We have a former Army friend who tore her ACL in highschool but went through therapy etc and ended up playing in college. She finally had it replaced when the Army paid for it.

jenn

Comment

Just a big hug for you, Angie. That stinks! Poor kid! And poor mom!

Swimming? :huh: I hope you get some good information tomorrow.

Comment

Oh, Angie, how awful for you both. I hope the doc has some better news tomorrow. How did her tear it?

Kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I have no advice. Just sympathy. Keep us posted!

Comment

Soccer game injury. Actually, he probably initially did it in a collision at the end of last spring. We kept him off it and he seemed better. This fall, he went down in a game and couldn't stand on the field. He had to get helped off. We've had him out for the last three games of the season. I was hoping the MRI would show nothing and we could get back to giving him crap for malingering . Turns out, he's really hurt! DH and I are going to parenting hell.

I'll post what the ortho tells us tomorrow.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Turns out, he's really hurt! DH and I are going to parenting hell.
              Ah....parent guilt.

I could so hijack on this.

Comment

Big hugs to you guys.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Keep us posted on what the ortho says tomorrow, Angie. What a total bummer.... :bummer:

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

So sorry, let us know what happens.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Let us know, and let me know if you need a computer ortho consult.

That sucks.
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Angie, sorry to hear about your son.

Soccer is a good sport for knee injury...as is basketball.
                        I can't imagine that they wouldn't do anything for him...although at 11, he does have lots of growing to do. I ruined mine at 15 and had surgery within a month, but in comparison that was the "dark ages" of knee injury (1988) and they have come a long way with surgery/PT and can get athletes back on the field within weeks/months.

If you need to know first hand accounts, just let me know... been there, done that x6

Comment

Thanks everyone. (And Matt-- thanks for letting me know that this isn't the end of the road for him in sports. Sorry about your knee! )

Here's the ortho update. He completely bisected the ACL. Bleh. Not what I wanted to hear. He is starting physical therapy next week. The ortho wants to see us back after he reviews the MRI films to discuss surgical options. They don't want to do a reconstruction yet because he has wide open growth plates and the surgery can damage the growth plates. What he's thinking now is that he will do some type of "brace" procedure to stabalize the knee for a few years and then reconstruct it when he is 16-ish and skeletal-ly mature.

So, for now, he is suggesting two surgeries. He did say that would allow him to get back on the field with his own age group. :huh: Right now, he's sidelined from anything with running, cutting, etc. He's mostly bummed about recess. (The teams apparently don't matter as much to him! ) He is at a risk of injuring other parts of his knee right now because of the ACL injury, so my biggest challenge is keeping him down. Last night, he and a friend were body slamming and wrestling each other on the living room floor and I kept saying "Stop -your knee! Your knee!" I'm hoping we can get him some level of recovery over the winter months so that when the weather turns good in the spring he can do something - soccer or baseball or at least skateboarding. Poor kid.
                          Angie

Comment

Oh Angie, what a bummer !

I am guessing, that trying to instill in him that he needs to extra careful because of his fragile knee, will be a major challenge . They just don't seem get it at this age...I hope it he understands and takes it easier

Comment

DH says that although there are special considerations, you can reconstruct an ACL in a kid. There are methods of reconstructing the ACL that don't require violation of the growth plate. DH says that you should go see a sports fellowship trained orthopaedist or a pediatric orthopaedist who does ACLs. I know you are seeing an ortho, and I don't know what his/her area of specialization is, but you can always get a second opinion.

I hope he gets to play sports this spring!
                              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X