Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Down with the goody bags!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down with the goody bags!!!

DS is turning 7 on Monday (what the...?!?!?!) and he finally wants a kid party. (I desperately tried to steer him to something else - taking a family trip to the Museum of Nat. History, visiting the Lego museum in OH...anything but a kid party, lol!) So this Saturday we're having a party at a gymnastics place. We invited the whole class (grr) but only 1/3 rsvp'd. Whatever, as long as non-rsvp'ers don't show.

Every fricking party my kids go to, they come home with a goody bag. They're filled with total crap and yucky (IMO) candy. It's basically junk that gets headed to the landfill in short order - yet the parents clearly spend a fair amount on these! I completely disagree with the notion that kids should get a gift from a birthday party. They get cake and ice cream and have fun. That is enough. Is this common practice everywhere? Screw it. I am rebelling. No goody bags!!!

I remember goody bags at some events, but I don't think we ever did it ourselves. I say GO you and don't do the goody bag. I am sure for the parents, its one less piece of junk they have to have around their house.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I will admit that we've done goody bags the past two years but try to make them fun and/or homemade. For E's second birthday, I made personalized coloring books fir the kiddies using Thomas pictures online. I printed them at home and gave that with a couple of crayons. I'm not a fan of the really cheap plastic toys but I think folks feel obligated to give something and they shouldn't have to. I felt the same way about our wedding and did not give any goodies other than free dinner and open bar
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

8 out of 10 birthday parties my DD's go to hand out goody bags. I hate them, although my DD's always enjoy getting them. The junk inside ends up scattered all over the car & house. I handed them out one year & decided afterward that it was a waste of money so never did it again. I do feel guilty sometimes when a random kid is obviously expecting one because they're used to it being a standard operating proceedure. I wish more parents would stop handing them out so the expectation would go away & save me from the useless junk.
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We just got one on Sunday as a matter of fact!

For our 'thank yous' I bought the least expensive lego car (5 bucks) and for the three girls, a mini purse. Same amount of money as the crap in the bag and at least it was 'useful' crap.

Jenn

Comment

I don't do them, either. I know some people think its weird, but I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
              I don't do them, either. I know some people think its weird, but I don't care.
              Ditto. The only positive about the goody bag is that you can use them to get the kids to leave, "here's you're goody bag, parties over, get out! Thanks for coming"

You will get LOTS of non-RSVPers. We always do, always. Your best bet is to call or email everyone to get a final head count. You will also get sibs, etc...
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Oh man. That's so true about the siblings. Drives me craaaazy.

I do give out goody bags. We don't have many parties tho lol. That's an understatement. Last year Steven had his first ever friend party (he turned 9) and the goody bag was some toys from the party favor part of target, and also a pack of pokemon cards each kid and an assortment if silly bands. The kids traded pokemon cards and silly bands for an activity...

I don't care if we go to a party and there is no goody bag, but it's def expected around here... But that does end after grade school.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

http://bedtimesareforsuckers.com/201...preschool-set/

"Generally those little goody bags are filled with useless items that your friend’s parents threw together at the last minute — an assortment of choking hazards and lead-based painted toys. Upon entering the car to go home, simply dump the contents of the bag on the floor. That way you’ll always know where they are."
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I've given them out in the past but decided that enough was enough. This year C's party was at a roller rink - it cost a pretty penny but was worth every cent to not have to deal with a bunch of hopped up kids tearing around the house in the winter.
                    Kris

Comment

Every fricking party my kids go to, they come home with a goody bag. They're filled with total crap and yucky (IMO) candy. It's basically junk that gets headed to the landfill in short order - yet the parents clearly spend a fair amount on these! I completely disagree with the notion that kids should get a gift from a birthday party. They get cake and ice cream and have fun. That is enough. Is this common practice everywhere? Screw it. I am rebelling. No goody bags!!!
                      Thank you! No seriously, we MUST form a commune.

I have yet to give out goody bags. The closest I have come is giving out plain plastic grocery bags for whatever uneaten candy falls out of the pinata. (Yeah, super classy to give a Kroger's bag with blo pops out, I know!) Every single party my kids go to give out goody bags. Girl scout meetings, community ed class, and Friday afternoon bus rides from school now result in a snacks and lollipops for my kids. Recently, my SILs started giving out holiday goody bags for extended family get togethers like Easter and Thanksgiving. Apparently every thing is worth a little treat and gift!

Watch out, I'm getting ready to rattle my cane and start stories that begin with, "Back in my day...".
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I must be in the minority, because I do goody bags for every one of my DD's birthday parties. However, I put a LOT of thought and effort into them, and none of the things inside are junk. Most are homemade and can be used; I rarely ever put candy in the bags. Shrug, I dunno. My mom always did goody bags for me growing up and I am just following her example in raising my DD.
                        Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Goody bags are also huge around here, and we generally give in to the expectation and give them out.

WGW, I think your goody bags sound really nice; it's the ones that are filled with plastic, useless crap that drive me nuts.

Tomorrow we're having a combined birthday party for both boys at the children's museum, and a big part of the reason that we decided to have it there is b/c the museum provides the goody bags and I don't have to do it.
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I don't do them either, but Aidan just went to a party and came home with a goody bag filled with 2 packets of hot chocolate(with marshmallows), à mini flashlight, a pencil and an eraser. He was thrilled beyond belief by it. We did two nights of hot chocolate, the flashlight is in his room and pencil with eraser are in his backpack. I thought the hot chocolate was weird, but he was so happy. It was his favorite part of the goody bag.
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I hate the junkie goodie bags. Lucy has a *small* birthday party at home tomorrow. I refuse to do the invite-the-whole-class-every-year for every kid thing. It's insanity. Anyhow, I did order these sticker sets and they were only $2 each. They came in the mail and are great quality. They are repositionable stickers so they can be changed and moved. I've order a couple of her fairy books (couple bucks) to stock as thank yous for people that pick Lucy up a lot knowing I have so many little ones to tow around.
                              http://www.mrsgrossmans.com/2-3_prod...s%20Activities

I'm going to keep my eye on the $1 stationary packs that I see at craft stores occasionally. I'm always looking for notecards for kids to write notes on. That would at least be helpful.

I like the hot coco idea!
                              Last edited by Ladybug; 01-21-2011, 04:51 AM.
                              -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                              X