Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Early onset of sassiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early onset of sassiness

I'm beginning to doubt if both DD and I make it to her actual teenage years. The drama and sassiness are already in full swing. She's almost 4. Are there any good books/blogs out there that offer helpful strategies as to how not to loose it on daily basis. I feel like taking deep breaths and walking away several times a day is not projecting the right message. How do I make her understand that I can love her while hating the current behavior? I don't want her to think that I favor her brother (because that seems to be a huge trigger for her). Since he's not walking yet, I often end up walking away while holding him. Makes her even madder. I'm feeling totally out of my depth. It also doesn't help that we have very different personalities. She's very similar to my mom with whom I've always had a somewhat difficult relationship (mostly build on not understanding each other). I'd like to learn on the mistakes of others and do a better job but just don't know how.

No advice but some hope. I thought I'd kill my daughter before she turned five but she's actually a lovely teenager. Very mature and no sass. Hope you find some coping mechanisms. I never did!!

Angie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Watching this tread closely. Hugs to you. I'm sure there are tons of resources out there once you start digging.
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

My just-turned 4 year old may not make it to see five. I think she has her own drama, and then it multiplies when she see how my very dramatic 8 year old behaves. The only way I make it through the day is by laughing. Her new word (since I won't let her say "darn it" every five seconds) is "Picklerats!" Works pretty well as a curse word.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Um, pretty sure DD4 has a lock on the Tonys, Emmys, & Oscars. And she is responsible for every grey hair on my head.

The other night when it was too late to read a book at bad time, her response? "This world has really changed!"
          Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
            Her new word (since I won't let her say "darn it" every five seconds) is "Picklerats!"
            Hahahahahaha. Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for commiserating, I'm currently on the second glass of wine. The new favorite around here is "I want what I want."

Comment

I've got nothing as I'm in my own personal parenting hell right now.
                DS almost 11 is a sassy back talking ass. DD almost 10 is going through puberty and is an emotional train wreck and DD 8.5 should be on ADHD meds.
                I. Can't. Take. It.
                I have my own emotional issues and with the onset of winter....hold me.
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                  Um, pretty sure DD4 has a lock on the Tonys, Emmys, & Oscars. And she is responsible for every grey hair on my head.

The other night when it was too late to read a book at bad time, her response? "This world has really changed!"
                  I'm sorry. that's really funny!

At this point I just get a long Noooooo with a big smile. Its like she's telling me no and saying to kiss off at the same time. so annoying.
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I guess it's time to buy into a winery and/or get shares of LVMH. DH is actively researching boarding schools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                      I guess it's time to buy into a winery and/or get shares of LVMH. DH is actively researching boarding schools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                      There is a convent 7 blocks from my house... I wonder if they still take minors as novices.

I am also seriously considering catholic high school for both of my kids because one will be eaten alive by the large school and S? She would be a ringleader. Nuns would be a very good thing for that child.
                      Kris

Comment

We've looked into private schools here, too. Shit...$42K a kid. No way. That's like, Ivy League education there.
                        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Oh my, I've already started seeing it in my almost 2-year old! Save me a share in the iMSN winery!
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Both of my boys mastered the multi-syllable Mooooommmm with the eye-roll by the time they were two. K1 in particular argues/talks back a lot. I don't think he understands that he's being rude or uncooperative. He thinks that he knows his mind and that we are equals having a conversation. I do a lot of pausing and asking him "Do you want to rephrase that?" in a cool tone when the sass gets out of hand.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Early onset of sassiness

I thought I'd kill DD2 when she was a toddler. The amount of sassy argumentative shit emanating from her pie hole drove me round the bend more than once. She's since mellowed into a wicked smart, articulate, quick-thinking, almost-14 y/o who will still occasionally argue with a brick wall if she thinks that wall is wrong or illogical.

I think it's a normal developmental stage.

Comment

Working...
                              X