Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Two Years of PreK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Years of PreK

DD, who will be 4 in December, is moving into the Prekindergarten room at her daycare. There are two rooms, both of which have the same age group and do roughly the same thing. DD won’t go to Kindy until closer to her 6th birthday, so in two years time. Since there is no movement between rooms, I am concerned that she is going to stagnate and become bored during year two. If they talk about colors, particular letters, fall and snakes every September, will she remember this time next year and be bored? I don’t yet know if the teacher mixes things up for kids who are staying another year.

I can’t send her to Kindy early in our school district - she would be incredibly young and she misses the 10/1 cutoff. DD is bright and has the makings of a “good student,” but can be a little emotional and needs emotional support from her teachers.

I could send her to a second year of pre-K or Kindy at another private school, before the Kindy year in district. But that might mean more $$, and they would have to have some flexible before and after school hours. Her current daycare goes until 630pm, which I need since I work 45 minutes away and get done at 5pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Talk with the teachers. This has to be an issue they’ve had before. Often they have a couple year loop where they teach different themes, etc.

Dd6 was in a similar position academically and her preK teacher was like...I just always make sure there’s enough for C and [another little girl who was also older/more academically inclined] to do. Or they get into trouble.” They know how to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

That's tough! E is going to end up doing 2 years of kindergarten, but it will be at different schools, so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal. Mostly though I've just decided to go with it this year, and I'll start worrying about next year when it gets closer.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Maybe ask what they have done in similar situations in the past? She cant be the first one.

That being said, I doubt it will be that big of a deal. I bet they can do things to keep her occupied if she is more capable than other children in her class. It's pretty common to have a very wide range of ability in one class in this age group (kids who don't know the alphabet all the way to kids that can read)

In general, I wouldn't get too hung up on the labels. They might call different levels different things, but in most cases I don't believe it is usually a substitute for "actual" Kindergarten, unless you are in a private K-12 school. It's just different flavors of Pre-K.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
        X