Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Food issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id also ask school admin to tell the family their kids really need to eat in order to learn. Hungry kids aren't able to participate well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
      Regardless of what type of food it is, it does sound extreme and I wouldn't be comfortable with it. I guess all you could say was something like you're concerned about reheating food so many times and the possibility that it could make them sick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      I think it seems gross from a bacteria standpoint too. And just excessive work for teachers. My kids school would never agree to that. I don’t know if I can even request that they heat anything.... they certainly would not heat snack.

I don’t reheat my kids food more than once. And if it’s been an extremely long dinner time, I honestly just throw it out. I hate vomit, the last thing I want is to force them to eat old food that makes them sick.

But my kids aren’t really awesome eaters right now. So I wouldn’t write this chapter of a parenting handbook! Don’t listen to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I talked with someone about this today. I think the policy of multiple reheats will stop. Yay!

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

So I figured out that the problem with the food is that it is full of oil that sits on the top and does not mix with the sauce. I asked mom to send it in a plastic container so I could microwave it longer as the glass gets too hot. She didn’t. So I’m basically bribing this child with her fruit to get her to eat. Three big bites, one apple slice. And so on. It’s working.

I’ve discovered that the smelliest food to reheat are shake’n bake chicken. Also baked potato with cheese on it.

Glass microwave safe bowls get too hot during cooking. Thermoses do not keep food warm. I never realized that. I sent a thermos with my kids until last year. Almost every child that brings a thermos asks to have food heated. Lunchable pizzas are terribly messy. Oops guilty of that too.

Kids are picky. One day they love raisins, the next day they refuse to eat them.

Comment

It never dawned on me about the glass containers getting too hot. I was thinking about switching to them, too.

Does the school have policies in place about lunch? Maybe you could work on creating some, or perhaps an informational handout about what’s good to bring/store lunch in and what’s bad.

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

We’ve never been allowed to send food that needed reheating. The guidelines are very clear that food must be open and go.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
                It never dawned on me about the glass containers getting too hot. I was thinking about switching to them, too.

Does the school have policies in place about lunch? Maybe you could work on creating some, or perhaps an informational handout about what’s good to bring/store lunch in and what’s bad.

The policies are clear about what can be brought and how kids are to eat. The year is almost over, but I’m going to talk to the school about the containers. Also, I’m concerned that foods are to be reheated to 160F and that’s not happening. I need a food thermometer.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                  We’ve never been allowed to send food that needed reheating. The guidelines are very clear that food must be open and go.

This was ours too. And the children have to be able to open it themselves. This was a Montessori program as well.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                    The policies are clear about what can be brought and how kids are to eat. The year is almost over, but I’m going to talk to the school about the containers. Also, I’m concerned that foods are to be reheated to 160F and that’s not happening. I need a food thermometer.

Sounds like you might be able to help with an overhaul or better rewording if the policies during the summer. Food safety is so important!

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                    X