Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gymnastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gymnastics

I can't remember how much I've posted in here about E's gymnastics, but we're at another decision point.

Backstory: Before we moved, she had been invited to move up to the pre-team. She loved it and was learning a lot. When we moved, I looked at 2 gyms. Gym B is closest to the house. Gym H is a little bit further, but still not far, and super close to her school for next year. Gym H said that she would have to be in the preschool class until she started kindergarten, so I didn't spend much time looking there. Gym B said she could tryout for their pre-team, but it meets T/Th from 4-5:30. I can't get here there at 4, and I don't want her doing gymnastics 3 hours/week at 5 years old. Plus her dance class has been on Tuesdays. So, they said she could do preschool until she turned 5, and then she could move up to the rec classes. We went with Gym B. When she turned 5, she moved up to the Intro 5-7 rec class. The first day was a disaster with epic crying, but then she loved it. A month later, they tested her and moved her up to the Gym 2.0 class, which is with kids mostly 8-12 years old. We had the same issue with the first day of class, but again, after that she loved it. She has a lot of fun and keeps up well with the big girls. I see the older girls practicing, including the teams, and it looks like they're being trained well, so I feel good with her there.

Yesterday I got an e-mail inviting her to tryout for the pre-team at Gym B. She's very talented and really enjoys it, and I think she would love a team. I haven't confirmed, but I think we're going to run into the same issue with the time of the class. Her dance class will be on Mondays starting in the fall, but the elementary school doesn't dismiss until 3:50, and even if I could get there to pick her up or hired a nanny to drive her and be first in line, it's still at best a 15 minute drive to the gym. So I called Gym H again and talked to them. They said she is welcome to come join their team. At her age, they meet for 1 hour a week, and there are 3 different class times we could choose. If she moved up to the second level, it's 3 hours/week, and there are still different options to choose from. In general, they are a very family oriented gym and don't want to over-commit the kids, which I love. But, I don't know much about how well they train the girls, and they don't generally compete other than small local competitions.

So right now my options are to keep her in the rec classes at her current gym, or consider switching her to the other gym so she could be on a team. What would you do?
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

We were in a similar boat with D. She was offered a spot on pre-team at the gym here and we were excited for her. Until we found out that it was a 4 hour per week commitment (4-6 PM Tues and Fri) year round. For a 5 yo. No flexibility to chose times or only participate in one day. We declined. And I am the parent who’s 7 year old does dance, swim, soccer and violin in the same season. I’m fine with busy but FOUR HOURS A WEEK year round on a single activity? No thanks. I don’t know how I could ask her siblings to sit there for that.

I’d go with the more family friendly option that doesn’t require you to hire a nanny to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

What about moving gyms for the team vs. staying at her current gym in the rec classes? I could do either way - I just can't do the team at her current gym.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Could you observe/do a trial class at the new gym?

I mean, I have no aspirations of D being an Olympic gymnast (though I'm fine if they want to be Olympians in other spots...I just had bad experiences as a gymnast) so I don't know how much the level of training matters to me. If she's super talented though and wants gymnastics to be her "thing", that might matter more.

If the level of training is adequate/similar, I'd let her be on the team at the new gym. You can always go back to a rec spot at the other gym.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Yes, I can, and that's probably what I'll do. I don't think she'll be an Olympic gymnast, but I do think she's very good and could do it through school, possibly college, if she wants to. But she enjoys dance too, which is also why I don't want to overcommit at this point, so maybe she'll do dance team/cheerleading or something. Then again, she's also very smart and doesn't NEED a sport, but I want her to find something she loves and stay active, because I regret not doing that.

Comment

I'd keep her at the lowest/most convenient level possible until she is ready to decide more on her own. It sounds like she has enough talent to make that jump in a few years. 5 is still so young.

ETA: Caveat that when it comes to kid activities, I lean very far towards the "keep it simple as long as possible" approach, but # of kids plays into that too
            Last edited by SoonerTexan; 04-16-2019, 01:49 PM.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
              I'd keep her at the lowest/most convenient level possible until she is ready to decide more on her own. It sounds like she has enough talent to make that jump in a few years. 5 is still so young.

ETA: Caveat that when it comes to kid activities, I lean very far towards the "keep it simple as long as possible" approach, but # of kids plays into that too
              I agree with ST. I’m also in the “simple as possible for as long as possible” camp. DD already has dance, swim, soccer and TLG (kinda like gymnastics). We already asked her which one she would drop in the fall, and she said TLG. She has an aptitude for dance, and I can see, in a couple of years, that becoming more than the current one day/week. Soccer is at school only, so NBD. I could see swim as a runner up to dance, as she really likes it and has shown major progress in just 2.5 months.

I also feel like this is the point where we should start asking them “hey, what do you think?” but that’s a lot of hours for someone who is 5. Plus, it’s not convenient for you. Do you think that it would ever fit into your schedule? Like maybe it’s something to revisit in another year?

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

My "keep it simple" preferences are two-fold. It's easiest on me and it's also healthiest on the kids. Early sports specialization usually hurts more than it helps, in terms of repetitive stress injuries and lack of other activity to fall back on.

On the other hand, I thought this was an interesting comment. "Then again, she's also very smart and doesn't NEED a sport..." In my (very limited!) experience, it's the smart kids who NEED sports most of all. When school is ridiculously easy, it's invaluable beyond compare to have an activity where things don't come as easily, where you have to work to achieve. Of course, that falls apart if your kiddo has an athletic talent too (and it sounds like yours does!) My kids are mediocre soccer players, but when they apply themselves they are solid team players. I feel like that experience gives them ten times the personal growth as does getting yet another 100% on a Pre-algebra test or accelerated spelling quiz. It's just another dimension to consider.

All said and done, I think mama's sanity rules! Also when I wonder if I should stretch more for kid activities, I think about my friends who have five kids including triplets. They've decided that each kid can do one sport for one season per year, so any given kid only has 3-4 months of extracurriculars. I don't think they are suffering in their development as human beings, so I don't feel like my own kids are suffering either if I stick with one sport at a time and one other activity, MAYBE two (which has been karate or music or school clubs.) You do what you can do, love your kid, and they will turn out great! When THEY have the motivation to do more (like my daughter who pushed me for months to take guitar lessons before I signed her up), they will get more out of it, which gives you better ROI!
                Alison

Comment

ooo one other thought...I'd wait til she transitions to Kindergarten first. She will probably do better than most because she is already used to a full day, but full day kinder with limited recess is a BIG adjustment. My oldest was overly ready and was just exhausted the first couple months. She got used to it by Halloween or so, but she still needs time just to decompress at home even now. I'm fully expecting #2 to lose it a bit/regress for a few months when he starts in August.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                    On the other hand, I thought this was an interesting comment. "Then again, she's also very smart and doesn't NEED a sport..." In my (very limited!) experience, it's the smart kids who NEED sports most of all. When school is ridiculously easy, it's invaluable beyond compare to have an activity where things don't come as easily, where you have to work to achieve. Of course, that falls apart if your kiddo has an athletic talent too (and it sounds like yours does!) My kids are mediocre soccer players, but when they apply themselves they are solid team players. I feel like that experience gives them ten times the personal growth as does getting yet another 100% on a Pre-algebra test or accelerated spelling quiz. It's just another dimension to consider.
                    I agree - when I said "need" I was thinking need like getting her a college scholarship. Yes, I realize that's silly at this point, but I do think she's really good at it and could potentially do it long term if she wants to. In the sense that she needs something to keep her active, I agree, she does need one. I quit dancing in high school because I was burnt out, and I regret it. I wish I had found a way to stay active but reduce the intensity. But I also wasn't great at it.

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
                      I agree with ST. I’m also in the “simple as possible for as long as possible” camp. DD already has dance, swim, soccer and TLG (kinda like gymnastics). We already asked her which one she would drop in the fall, and she said TLG. She has an aptitude for dance, and I can see, in a couple of years, that becoming more than the current one day/week. Soccer is at school only, so NBD. I could see swim as a runner up to dance, as she really likes it and has shown major progress in just 2.5 months.

I also feel like this is the point where we should start asking them “hey, what do you think?” but that’s a lot of hours for someone who is 5. Plus, it’s not convenient for you. Do you think that it would ever fit into your schedule? Like maybe it’s something to revisit in another year?

The team at the current gym won't fit into our schedule until she's in middle school (6th grade), because it will always start at 4, and the elementary school will always get out at 3:50, with the bus dropping off at our house around 4:30. She enjoys gymnastics, and I asked her what she though about going to a new gym and being on the team, and she seemed excited, but I also think she'd have fun staying in her current class too. She's in Gym 2.0 right now, and they also have 3.0-5.0 that she could move up to, each of which are 50 minute classes once a week offered on several different days/times that we could make work. The team at the new gym is one hour once a week, with a few different time options that we could make work as well.

Comment

You know my opinion 🤪 Seriously, give Harpeth a try. The kind and nurturing environment alone makes it worth a bit of a farther drive, I honestly have yet to meet a person that doesn’t love it there. Harpeth also has fun family nights and inexpensive weekend clinics for skills. If she eventually wants a bigger gym I know kids switch over to Let it Shine or another gym in Nolensville (don’t remember which one).
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                          You know my opinion 浪 Seriously, give Harpeth a try. The kind and nurturing environment alone makes it worth a bit of a farther drive, I honestly have yet to meet a person that doesn’t love it there. Harpeth also has fun family nights and inexpensive weekend clinics for skills. If she eventually wants a bigger gym I know kids switch over to Let it Shine or another gym in Nolensville (don’t remember which one).
                          I know - I don't know why it's so hard for me to make the switch! It's not like we can't switch back if we don't like it there. She isn't always super great with change, so I think that's part of why I'm hesitant. But I do think she'd love the team there.

Comment

So I talked to my friend today who has her 5yo in gymnastics at Gym H after having recently moved from another local gym (not the same one E is currently at, or the other one Pollyanna mentioned). She said they love it, but the training is definitely a step down from where they were, and most of the girls at that gym eventually go to E's current gym when they want serious training. So...I think we'll keep her in the rec class at her current gym and just not change anything at this point. Maybe eventually they'll have a team option for kids who can't get there that early (they're in the process of changing up their teams right now, from what I've heard, moving to the Excel program). So...we'll see.

Comment

We decided to just try out and see if she makes it. We could do the team over the summer and then go back to rec classes or switch gyms in the fall. Try-outs are today, and there's no commitment to just try out, so...we'll see. She's super excited. I also looked into another local gym that we could eventually switch to as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X