Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gymnastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She LOVED it. The time commitment is a pain, but it's such a better fit for her. The kids are the same age and skill level as her, and the coaches are amazing. They know how to keep them engaged and learning despite being young, and they do a great job correcting their form but remaining positive and constructive, all while having fun. Her current coaches are really good, but they're used to coaching 8-12yo kids, and they aren't always great at keeping the younger girls going.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Yay!!! I’m so happy for her!!!
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Her tryout was practicing with Preteam 1 (I think). She was invited to come back this week and practice today and Thursday with Preteam 2, and then next week they'll let us know which, if any, she is invited to join officially.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

She did great and loved it. Except apparently Preteam 2 meets 4 hours a week, not 3 like Preteam 1. Tues/Thurs from 4 to 6. We may still do it thru the summer but I'm going to look at another gym for the fall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

That was my problem with ours. Tues/Fri from 4-6. We just couldn’t commit to that for our barely 5yo at the time AND also 4-6 PM on Friday’s year round is when our neighbors almost always do cocktails in the cul de sac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                That was my problem with ours. Tues/Fri from 4-6. We just couldn’t commit to that for our barely 5yo at the time AND also 4-6 PM on Friday’s year round is when our neighbors almost always do cocktails in the cul de sac.

Oh Fridays are just stupid - I wouldn't do that either.

Comment

When I was in gymnastics it was 4-8 Monday - Thursday year around (plus meets on the weekends during competition season), and my gym was an hour from our house. I think back now and I don’t know how my parents made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                    When I was in gymnastics it was 4-8 Monday - Thursday year around (plus meets on the weekends during competition season), and my gym was an hour from our house. I think back now and I don’t know how my parents made it work.
                    This was me with dance as a kid - my mom didn't work though, and we carpooled with several other kids.

Comment

Thought you’d like to see this. Both of our eyes bugged out of our heads. I guess she’s good at gymnastics. 🤦🏼*♀️🤸*♀️

So now I feel badly that I totally shot down her chance for pre-team. I’m going to look around at other options that aren’t so many hours and at such bad times. Surely I can find something that is a happy medium.

My biggest takeaway is that I think the sport really helps with her ADHD. Because when you’re doing it, it requires total focus and there’s less group-focus required compared to dance/soccer.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Poor child has my super muscular legs.

Comment

She looks great! E is crazy muscular too. We should hear back this week if she made it. She practiced with Preteam 2 all week and kept up, so I would be surprised if she didn't at least make Preteam 1.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                            She looks great! E is crazy muscular too. We should hear back this week if she made it. She practiced with Preteam 2 all week and kept up, so I would be surprised if she didn't at least make Preteam 1.
                            Fingers crossed!

I’ve never seen her do it. So I have no idea if she keeps up or not. Although everyone in her class is a foot taller than her so...

Comment

Fingers crossed!

I’ve never seen her do it. So I have no idea if she keeps up or not. Although everyone in her class is a foot taller than her so...

We had this issue with E in the rec classes - I like the preteam because it's kids her age/size/skill level.

Comment

My biggest takeaway is that I think the sport really helps with her ADHD. Because when you’re doing it, it requires total focus and there’s less group-focus required compared to dance/soccer.

Yes! Gymnastics is like therapy for many ADHD kiddos! My friends son was so severely effected she didn’t know what to do with him. She ended up homeschooling and put him in the gym as much as he wanted. He just graduated from University of Nebraska where he went on a gymnastics scholarship and graduated with a 4.0. She said that gymnastics basically saved him.

Your girl is adorable!! And so strong!!
                                Tara
                                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                                X