Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

GAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAAAAAAAAAHHHH

DD is driving me nuts. The whole homework thing. She always says she doesn't "have any" and maybe just a few "projects that aren't due for a long time". We have these EdLine accounts this year, so I can see just what is up, but I haven't been following them every stinking day b/c I thought she was actually keeping track of her crap. So there on the edline, which is a total pain b/c I have to go through 7 classes, I find that she has "E's" (so stupid- the kid earns an F give her a freakin F) in several classes for not turning in homework. Just a big fat 0. And they give them an extra 5 days past the due date to accept homework. :tsk: Things are changing now! I can't wait for her to get home... :fight:

We have been through this before- and she's already grounded from the phone for some incredibly sassy comments made to moi. SIGH SIGH SIGH. I swear, I feel like we are in a good place and then BAM!!!

DD just called to INTERRUPT MY RANT!! I can not even RANT!!!!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: GAAAAAAAAAHHHH

I am soooo feelin ya sister! My DD's teacher emails me at least once a day to inform me of what DD forgot to do for homework. We have to sign agendas and I make sure she has the stuff done that is written down. Problem is,she is not writing everything down!! How do you get them to be responsible at this age with anything??

Comment

Yes- DD's lovely agenda is pristine.
      Peggy

Comment

:banghead: :banghead: hone: :waiting:

She missed the bus.

25 minutes in post school traffic.
        Peggy

Comment

Ugh. Sorry. Looks like you are going to have to follow her work online more closely until she can prove she is responsible.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Oh man, I can truly empathize...

...with your daughter.

I was exactly the same way. Great grades, gifted programs, everyone always praising me for being "smart."

It wasn't until years later in an Educational Psych class that we had a speaker talk about the difference in praising kids for being "smart" and for putting forth "effort". No one ever praised my effort in school, so I guess I grew up thinking that since I was smart, I didn't need effort. It worked, too. (Until college, anyway.) If I had been taught differently, maybe it wouldn't have worked out the way it did.

So, naturally, I raised my hand in this class and asked how you correct the problem after years of this incorrect praise. He said, "Hmmm... nothing I suppose." and that was that.

Good luck. I don't remember how old she is, but I try to explain to my brother (he's 16) that doing the work now will prepare him for the workload in college. I know he has no idea what I'm talking about, but I keep hoping that if I shape his study habits to those like a college students, maybe he'll do better?? :huh:

Comment

I'm back from picking her up. 1 hour in the car! :tsk: She asked, Mom- are you in such a bad mood because of me this week? yes, dear.

Back to school bump in the road. Anyone else out there feeling it?
              Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by Stella
                but I try to explain to my brother (he's 16) that doing the work now will prepare him for the workload in college. I know he has no idea what I'm talking about, but I keep hoping that if I shape his study habits to those like a college students, maybe he'll do better?? :huh:

Stella, it probably means more coming from you than it would from the parents anyway! You're a great big sis!
                Peggy

Comment

I absolutely feel your pain.

We battle with variations of this exact theme all year long...and it seems to bounce from kid to kid.

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Kris- I was totally thinking of you when I wrote that rant! Ha Ha! If I had to deal with your carpooling schedule, I would seriously crawl into a corner somewhere... You are an amazing woman!

Right now the whole addition of middle school crap to our schedule from just an elentary one is kicking my butt a little bit.
                    Peggy

Comment

Working...
                    X