Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Making teens "do" things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making teens "do" things.

This topic ONLY pertains to kids >13, not making the five year old brush the teeth, etc. Please keep it respectful because I'm already admitting that this is kind of a grey area and quit frankly this stuff is hard any way you slice it.

Have you ever "made" your teen do an activity? Last year, my husband, DS15, and I sat down and tentatively mapped out HS courses. We advised him that we would pay for 4 years in-state college tuition so he needed to remove any idea of a blow off senior year if he could get college credits for free. We also said our rule would be that if he was participating in a sport, we would support him taking a study hall that semester. He planned to play both soccer and lacrosse so he signed him up for a full year of study hall.

All summer long, he balked at the time and physical commitment of playing soccer with all of the summer conditioning, most of which is optional. After getting into the season, he ended up having a blast, developing some great skills, and now wants to play again next year. Guess who was plagued with inertia yet again this entire month about the impending lacrosse season? Yup. I'm not proud nor entirely confident that making him honor his agreement was the right choice, but we made him stick to his original agreement. We told him he should play his freshman year when it is easiest to make the team, when he had already made the study hall pact, and while his skills were still fresh from summer lacrosse. His first practice was today and he came out smiling and laughing with his friends. I'm torn because dammit, it's his life. He's fifteen, at some level he's got to want it. Mommy and Daddy can provide the best schools, tutors, and coaches, but he's going to have to grind to get somewhere. On the other hand, he already quit band and chess club. I'm pretty sure that his alternative would be t sitting around hanging out with his friends and on the xbox all the time. I'm 60% sure of my decision, but damn I hate feeling like a cross between a crazy sports mom and probation officer. I just want to keep him involved in *something* and help him work through that teenage boy inertia.

Tell me, what would a good mom do? I'm all out here. I got nothing.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

You are a great mom. My gosh he is so lucky to have you.!
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Exactly what you are doing!!!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I think the decision is different for each child. I think keeping kids busier is better than having too much time on his hands. Trust yourself!
        Needs

Comment

I got back up out of bed to say that the original post was a touch cranky, sorry. "Tell me what you think but I don't want to hear it!!!" LOL. <<<<Teenage temper tantrum???

The process of individuation is so hard...ON BOTH THE TEEN AND THE PARENTS! He is doing what he needs to do ....He is doing what he needs to do.....He is doing what he needs to do....

There is just an awful lot of arguing his case, which I read somewhere means that he feels more loved and accepted and trying out being their own person in a safe place so they have the skills of self advocacy in the real world. (or some such silly BS they write in those parenting primers)

OK. I'm calling it a day. He was happy with the decision today. Let's go with that, shall we?

Killing myself over here.

Comment

We make the kids honor commitments, but let them take the lead on which commitments they make. DD2 loves doing track during track season, but waffles before it. If she makes the decision to join the team, it's for the entire season. Quitting isn't allowed, but not doing it the next year is totally fine.

DD1 wanted to quit band class multiple times, but was made to stick out whatever commitment she'd already made. If she chose to change her schedule prior to making the commitment, that was fine.

I dunno if that helps, at all. It's what we do and it works for us. Every fam and kid is different. Do whatever works for what you want to teach your own kids.

Comment

I made my dd19 honor several commitments. It was like she was stuck. Didn't want to go, didn't want to practice, didn't want to get out of her room. Blah blah blah. If she said she would do something (like swim on the neighborhood team) even if it was ONLY to be able to write that down on a college app, then she was doing it. Sometimes I needed to use guilt, coercion, whatever. But she made the commitment.

Before my kids sign up for anything I have a 2-3 day waiting period to consider the commitment and longevity of the activity. Then if they want to, barring injuries or failing grades, quit, it's just not an option.

I've been known to say "you think life is fun? It's 95% work and maybe 5% fun."

Grumpy old lady, that's me!!!
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

You are doing a great job. Do you think it could be anxiety holding him back. As a teen I remember when things like sports were a ways away I thought it sounded fun. Leading up to the first practices though I would get worried about things like how I would fit on the team, if I would be good enough, what the new coach would be like, etc. It would be easier/safer to just not do it. I didn't want to talk about my fears but my mom always pushed me to do things and slowly I learned I usually enjoyed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I think you are absolutely right to have him honor commitments and that you are pushing him through the inertia, as you said.

I know how much my mood and motivation changes over the course of a month now as a grown adult woman. High school hormones? Forget it. The only reason I stuck with sports was because my social life depended on it. I joined every team and group for the social interactions first, activity second. If I had a group of friends to sit at home with and a mom that didn't annoy me, I'd have been all over that. Would it have benefited me? Not at all.

I think this is an instance where kids don't always make the best choices and it's OK for parents to strongly encourage and guide. He can be a lazy gamer in college or adulthood. We had plenty of time to game in college.
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Love the comment in this thread! Reread them all again. Yes, to the comments regarding insecurity about ability, inertia, hormones, and sports being a social life line.

So- Quick update. Guess who is "all in" now for lacrosse? He scored 2 of the 3 goals to win yesterday's scrimmage and is talking about "when he plays Varsity" in coming years. He just has this inertia and he can be a butt about things. Over Spring break, I told him we would be in my college's home town and we could do a campus tour. I quickly buffered this by stating that I knew he wasn't interested in my red neck alma mater, but this would just be a introductory experience. He was like, "No, I'm not anti-Kentucky, I just like giving you a hard time about it." OMFG.

He's turning out great guys. He's just breaking me down in the process. It's like he's trying out his antagonism and independence on me and then goes out into the world all nice and sweet. It's a lie, people. Don't believe it. He's the worlds greatest kid with a touch of evil lurking inside.

Comment

Haha! Mine do that. Guess they never grow out of testing Mommy...
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Well, now his secret is out You're doing great!
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                        X