Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vacuum Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Advice!

So since we are moving into our first home we need a vacuum. I need some help!

We don't have kids but will soon, no pets but probably in the future, most of our house is carpet...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Re: Vacuum Advice!

I know Dyson is still the hottest thing out there but based on my experience I'm not sure I would recommend it. Unless you have a repair shop across the street that will be nice enough to give you a loaner. I think my next one will be a Miele.

Comment

I'm still happy with my Dyson. I'm really fascinated with the next generation Dyson.

Jenn

Comment

I'm still very happy with my Dyson. I too just saw an ad for the new one, its very small.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm still quite happy with mine -- and I'm intrigued by the smaller hand-vac.

Comment

I *heart* my Miele. It is the best vacuum that I have had by far, easy to use, and ours came with a 7 year warranty. Also it is nice and quiet.

Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I have an Oreck. We got it because we have to carry that thing up and down 3 flights- and it is super light. We've had no problems, but it's only 5 years old and we don't have many carpets now. To us, the "canister vac" that Oreck throws in there as some type of bonus is not good, and the Oreck doesn't have "attachments" that other vacuums have, I think because of the canister vac. So if you use attachments a lot, that's something to consider.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Amiens
                I *heart* my Miele. It is the best vacuum that I have had by far, easy to use, and ours came with a 7 year warranty. Also it is nice and quiet.

Comment

I'm a Dyson freak. My MIL laughs because I talk about the vacuum like it's a person...
                  "Oh, don't worry, Dyson will get that."
                  "Looks like a job for Dyson."

It's expensive...DH still grumbles about the price, but well worth it IMO.
                  Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

I just have to re-affirm my love for my Dyson.

I had the house cleaned on Wednesday - cleaning lady uses her own vac. (don't know the brand). I've run the roomba every day since Saturday. Yet today when I hauled the Dyson downstairs for a good cleaning (the new couch is being delivered), it picked up a FULL CANISTER of stuff. And there is only carpeting on 1/2 of my first floor! Clearly it manages to suck up stuff I don't even want to think about.

I just wish I had somewhere to store it on the first floor. Then I'd return the roomba.

Comment

I saw Dysons at Costco this week. I'm not sure how the price compares to buying it elsewhere.

Comment

Jenn, you probably don't want to buy another one but they have a brand new one that is supposed to be MUCH smaller then maybe you could find somewhere to store it...
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've considered that. The roomba was $289 ... so if I were to get one of the tinier dysons, that might solve the problem. Fortunately I bought the roomba at costco, so I'm safe as far as returing it. I've really only got a front-hall closet on the first floor (even brooms/mops are stored on the wall in the garage!) - so it's got to be compact.

Comment

We were suckers and bought a Kirby from a door to door salesman. I've been happy with it. It picks up far better than our previous vacuum, and we've used the shampooer attachment quite a bit. You can order replacement parts (bags, shampoo) over the phone - pretty easy.

Comment

My parents have a Kirby... But the only vacuums they've used are the Orecks, and they are OLD. WIll those things ever die??? Seriously, they are like 25 years old. The 2 Oreck vacuums have outlasted their built in vacuum system which we hardly ever used. :huh:
                              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                              X