Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Paint Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Colors

I'm going to get wet samples tomorrow and hopefully start putting them up in the evening. I'll post pictures of the samples.

In the family room, kitchen and mudroom -- Sundial (1100), Annie if you are reading this it is sort of like the Golden Straw but a little more brown to it. I was looking at those again and the color in between (2153-something?) is Cork, one of my favorite colors (but not in this house).

Powder room, Hemlock 719

Dining room, At Seat (666) above the chair rail, a brown below the chair rail, probably Classic Brown (don't have the # with me). I'm looking for a brown that doesn't have shades of green or purple against the blue.

Living room, Glazed Green (499) which seems a little like the Camouflage that used to be in the family room but with a little more green in it.

Re: Paint Colors

Most of these are a bust. The paint chips looked good but I'm not so hot on the color on the wall. I like the bathroom color, though, and will post that when I have a second.

Back to the drawing board...

Comment

:huh: I know. It makes the samples SOOOOOO worthwhile even though I have an embarrassing number of them. I've just started putting up anything I think I might like (from other painting projects). I'll try to be more focused when picking them out today. Three of the four bulbs in one fixture have burned out. Think it is time to get lightbulbs? I keep looking at the swatches against the wall sample wondering if it is the right color! The Glazed Green went sort of minty-aqua bleh. The Sundial still has potential as a color but not against the tile in our kitchen, it went sort of fleshy orange but it is a nice warm yellow by the window (it's out though).

I'm also thinking that as much as I like the dark brown color and want it somewhere, doing the two tone thing in the dining room might not work. Or I could do brown on the bottom and wallpaper on the top but when I mentioned that, DH went .

I like the paint colors upstairs so now I'm trying to find colors that match those and have the same hazy but not washed out quality. I'm liking "Healing Aloe" and the colors on that swatch, down to Beach Glass.

Comment

I am now in possession of a fan deck as well . I'm ready to review any an all colors! DH is terrified I'll want to paint something else.

Comment

Take a look at Healing Aloe, 1562. I would do that in the LR, too light for the DR. I also love Yarmouth Blue (hc-150). Here it is in a kitchen:

I want to do a butter-y yellow in the family room and what little wall needs paint in the kitchen. Devine has a color called Butter, I might look at that but I should have plenty of choices from the BM fan deck. I could also go back to the Camouflage that is in there. It is a really nice color but the greenish counter, green trees outside, green walls...not a lot of contrast.

Comment

:thud:

Ok, first off, I need to drop the Yarmouth Blue obsession. It is just not going to happen in this house with our lighting.

Second, trying to take photos of these swatches is an exercise in frustration. If I don't have enough light, the photos are grainy and if I use the flash, the colors wash out.

Here is where things stand as of today. I wanted to do a yellow in the family room and kitchen but the colors are competing with colors in the kitchen and I'm ready to pass on the yellow and stick with the camouflage that we have up. A close second is Vale Mist (one shade lighter than October Mist if you are reading this Julie) or the next shade lighter. I still like the camo though. It is the greenish color around the yellow samples (precious ivory 185 above and golden straw 2152-50 below...I think, or vice versa).

Dining room will get the yellow paint with the butter yellow on top and the more gold/leaning to ochre on the bottom (2151-50 and 2152-40, bronzed beige and yellow sulfur). The chair rail will be painted white. This is the room where I wanted to do the chocolate brown on the bottom and brighter almost Tiffany blue on the top. I deleted that photo! It was too much, both the blue and the brown, and DH hated it.

I'm leaning to blue in the living room. IMO, blue is a really hard paint color to work with especially when it is a softer blue. It is Quiet Moments (gag) 1563. I also like Healing Aloe which is one shade lighter but a bit too light...maybe. I'm going to prime and then paint these last few blue colors in bigger squares. Or totally change gears and go with a latte brown. With the blues here the top one is Healing Aloe, then Quiet Moments, then Grey Cashmere.

A lot of the same colors on a different wall (favorite blue is in the middle):

DD says that she really likes one of the light green colors (bottom right of first photo). Good thing because it is the color of her room!

Comment

Yeah, it's bad. I'm glad that I didn't go with the swatches on two colors though because one went a little orange and another a bad minty-aqua. I'd like to blame gardenweb but in reality I know I a) over-analyze and b) don't have good "pick and go" color skills. All of this is made worse by having the fan decks.

Comment

Nellie - I'm with Tara I don't give myself that many choices because I know I'll never decide. I'm sure it will turn out great!

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think you have a lovely patchwork thing going, and should just carry that throughout the first floor of the house.

Comment

:>

Well, I'm glad I didn't go with the first colors I had picked out. Even with the 3x5 swatches looking perfect it looked like crap on the wall. A lot of those samples are ones that I pulled out from previous painting projects. I could do a quilt sort of look for the LR, what do you think? Also, the DR is visible from the family room and LR so I feel like those have to flow together.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                      :>

Well, I'm glad I didn't go with the first colors I had picked out. Even with the 3x5 swatches looking perfect it looked like crap on the wall. A lot of those samples are ones that I pulled out from previous painting projects. I could do a quilt sort of look for the LR, what do you think? Also, the DR is visible from the family room and LR so I feel like those have to flow together.
                      The DR is on the other side of the house from the LR, right? You have the foyer and stairs in between, no? I think they could be very different (but still complimentary). I've been trying to look up your colors in the deck, but could only find 'precious ivory' -- which seems kind of crayola-fleshy to me. The ones with the 4 digit numbers aren't in my fan deck, are they?

Comment

You must have the Classics and not the Color Preview. Most of my colors are classic but the camo and bronzed beige (and straw ones) are Color Preview.

I think I've settled on the yellows for the DR and the camo in the family room. Just about decided on the blue for the LR.

Comment

Nellie I am impressed...we have lived here 4 years now and we have only painted 3 rooms!

Holy cow Nellie! I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful. I'm not a sample girl, I just pick out the color have the paint mixed and go (I like to live on the edge ).
                          Tara we are paint twins. I go into ACE chose a color and I am out of there.

This week was an exception however...we realized before opening the cans that I had chosen too light of shades for the boys' room. DH & I both preferred a shade darker than I had picked. I went in the next AM and they were able to make the necessary recipe adjustments and voila...I had the right shades!

I did call Jenn P a week or so ago, while I was shopping @ ACE, for paint for the the girls' room. She advised me to be careful on yellows! My other friend echoed this and said to always go a shade lighter, because yellows can be so bright &/or intense. ITE the girls' room was painted w/ Ben M. potpourri green and lemon sorbet. The boys' room was done w/ Ace colors Galveston Dust, and Kettery Blue.

We will be getting their PB Kids furniture on Fri. (no more sleeping on the floor...visiting relatives are using their old beds in the guest rooms). The boys' furniture is Sun Valley Red ; they have a border, that I used, to pull the 2 colors from. I still need to find roman shades for their room. The girls' furniture is Rustic Sun Valley Blue. I plan on searching Etsy for replacement hardware to femme up the girls' furniture. For the girls, I chose the colors of both furniture & walls, based on a large canvas painting of yellow tulips, that will serve as the focal point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                            which seems kind of crayola-fleshy
                            Ugh, beware fleshy! I made that mistake with what I thought was going to be a beige in our bedroom, and the end result really kind of grossed me out. I thought I could learn to live with it, but instead I ended up repainting a year later. Blech.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Yes, yellows are tricky and I would put some blues in that category as well. They can also go too bright. The true blues like Jenn did in the nursery (bluebelle?) are more "you get what you see". That is part of the reason for the sample overkill. When we did the cork and peanut butter combination a while back, it was based on the chips and a success. DH also lucked out and got a great yellow (oh, I wish I could remember which one!) for the basement of our Denver house.

Since then...I tried to do Anna's room yellow and holy brightness. Even after starting with a lighter color it was too much. I used one wall of that yellow for Bryn to tone down the pink of her last room.

The Sundial went fleshy too. I know someone who has that in a store and I want to go see it. He has a good eye. It just doesn't work for the tile in our kitchen. It reminds me of the orangeness of those "suntan" pantyhose.

IMO, greens and browns are much easier to work with.

Suz, I like potpourri green! That is a great color for a kids room.

Comment

Working...
                              X