Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Radiator heat help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator heat help

Our new ( but 100year old) house uses cast iron radiators for heat. I have never had them before and am not sure how to even work them. Remember I am a Florida girl- I can tell you about AC but not about needing to use heat in September!!

The boiler/furnace is less than a year old. It is connected to a digital thermostat. I turned it on for the first time a day or so ago. I set it to 68 while the house temp was reading 65. They turned on, clanged a lot and heated things up. I have noticed they have come on once or twice after that, but really the temp in the house has been hovering around 68.

About 30 minutes ago I turned the thermostat up to 70 and the house temp reads 67. Nothing has happened, as in no heat. DH is out of town and I dont know how to make these babies put out. It sort of seems like they have a mind of their own.

Help!
    Mom to three wild women.

Don't forget to bleed your radiators! You just need a screwdriver (I think flathead), loosen the screw at the top slightly to let the air out, and then tighten it back up. If there is air trapped in the radiator, it won't work efficiently. I LOVE radiator heat! Old homes seem so much better in some ways than newer ones.

Comment

Sometimes they actually need to be turned on. There is sometimes a knob on them (I've seen them at the bottom or near the top) that is used to adjust the level of the heat.
      Kris

Comment

I just found a puddle of water under it, so I am guessing that is the root of the issue.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

You should bleed the radiators. Make sure you do it when the heating is off or you will get burned and put a pan under to catch any water that escapes.

The system will turn on and off intermittently, much like AC does but a decrease in temperature usually means there's too much air blocking it. I would bleed all the radiators, then check out that leak.

My parents have a big 125 year old house. We love it but it can get cold when the radiators are off.
          Last edited by MrsC; 10-01-2009, 08:35 AM.
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I'm with Cassy, have it checked.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Definitely bleed it, and definitely have it inspected.
              You'll want to do that to ensure it is working up to its maximum potential and also that it is up to safety standards!!
              Hope you get it fixed soon!

Comment

We had it checked, they fixed it. We have steam and the guy said steam does not need to be bled. We did have it inspected when we bought the place. Everyone keeps telling me that radiator heat is the best ever, but if that is the case, why do most people convert to forced heat.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland View Post
                  We had it checked, they fixed it. We have steam and the guy said steam does not need to be bled. We did have it inspected when we bought the place. Everyone keeps telling me that radiator heat is the best ever, but if that is the case, why do most people convert to forced heat.
                  AC - you can't have central air with radiators.
                  Kris

Comment

Amen to that- on the days you need AC you NEEEED AC.

When we get the spare cash we are going to install this system- http://unicosystem.com/

Its designed for old homes without ductwork like ours. It has a compressor in the attic and snakes small tubes through the walls, then the AC comes out through small opening that look like recessed lighting. You can also have heat as well. It is really pricey though.
                    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
                    X