Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Family Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooh - SETTTLE would be perfect for your family sign. I wish I had one "code word" like that!! I tend to scream KNOCK IT OFF!!! which isn't as endearing ...

"Write if you get work" was one my mom always used ... and dh has started using lately ... so perhaps I'll do that as an homage to her. Funny ... I was embarrassingly old (as in ... late teens?) when I realized it was WRITE if you get work, not RIGHT if you get work ... .

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      One of my law school classmates was a psychiatrist in his prior life. We used to all go to him for advise and he would always advise us to go home and "hug your mom." He was an international student and his mom was an ocean away. At graduation, my mom hugged him.

As for rules, there are tons of mommalies that would work. I'll think on it.

Our version of that is "Love them and hug them" b/c when Jacob was little, we used to say "I will love him and hug him and call him George" (stolen from some cartoon). When Quinn came along we added "Fred", so their nicknames are George and Fred. We've argued over it (all 4 of us) and now we say Mattie is "Franny", but it hasn't stuck yet. (I'm Betty and dh is Pedro ...). This is the long way of saying I was already considering adding "Love them and hug them" to it.

Comment

Here are a bunch of mommalies. http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/mom.html

I think I'd also revisit our thread about "questions you never want to ask" for some funny mom stuff.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I guess "smoke 'em if you've got 'em" is entirely inappropriate. That's what keeps coming to mind as I read all these sayings.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
            I guess "smoke 'em if you've got 'em" is entirely inappropriate.

It would be totally appropriate for my mom's side of the family.
            -Ladybug

Comment

It wasn't in our decor, but I almost bought a plaque one time which read "If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you."
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                I guess "smoke 'em if you've got 'em" is entirely inappropriate. That's what keeps coming to mind as I read all these sayings.
                I was thinking of "It's not what you've got; it's how you use it." But Mae West is probably equally inappropriate.

How about "There's no crying in baseball"? Or maybe that's the phrase that should be pasted in the neurosurgery call room. Wait, no--I think someone hung up the "I AM GOD" monologue given by Alec Baldwin's character in "Malice." Which is definitely not appropriate for a family sign.

How about "Parents don't want justice; they want QUIET." Bill Cosby is classic.

Comment

I just emailed my cousins so that we could compile all of my grandmother's funny sayings in one place, NONE of which would be appropriate for a family wall. Her most tame was "Just a cheeseglass" which is her way of asking for half a glass of beer. (You can still find cheeseglasses, Kraft makes them- smoked cheddar and pimento cheese spreads)

On the day she dies, I'm planning on posting my grandfather's joke that starts out "long and thin..." the funny part about that is that he told it at a huge family dinner after my grandmother said, "John, why don't you say grace." and he let that one fly. She was apoplectic and he nearly fell out of his chair laughing.

So, bottom line, I've spent 43 years w/ really socially inappropriate but extremely funny people and will be of no help whatsoever.

Jenn

Comment

Hussey - I totally remember cheese glasses, my grandma had lots of them, too.

Abigail - 'there's no crying in baseball' may actually make it on there. We say that all the time!

Comment

Hussey - I totally remember cheese glasses, my grandma had lots of them, too.

Abigail - 'there's no crying in baseball' may actually make it on there. We say that all the time!

Comment

Oh, and Hussey - since "never shake a baby" is also in the running, I'd not worry so much about socially inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                          Our version of that is "Love them and hug them" b/c when Jacob was little, we used to say "I will love him and hug him and call him George" (stolen from some cartoon). When Quinn came along we added "Fred", so their nicknames are George and Fred. We've argued over it (all 4 of us) and now we say Mattie is "Franny", but it hasn't stuck yet. (I'm Betty and dh is Pedro ...). This is the long way of saying I was already considering adding "Love them and hug them" to it.
                          We say that too!!! It was in one of the Looney Toons cartoons -- I think with Marvin the Martian?
                          Veronica
                          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                          X