Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bathroom reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom reno

We are in the middle of a master bed/bath reno. I'm at the point which requires me to order tile.....and I'm struggling with too many choices. We live in a 1918 house with lots of old house features. We want the bathroom to be classic but still have modern conveniences. We have built in a large (8 by 4!) custom steam shower with a standard door sized entrance. It is along the back wall of the room. We are planning to use this vanity images.jpg and medicine cabinet. Other than that, we just have a white toilet in the room. So, we are thinking we will so a white subway tile in the shower with a white accent strip at plate rail height -- and a white/black flooring in a hex tile with a greek key border. Like this in the shower 17995070_400.jpg and this on the floor Greenwood%20MS%20Viking-27.JPG .

So - if you are still with me what should we do for the top of the vanity? DH is pushing for carrara marble but I'm not sure the greys and the veins in that would go with the simple black white elsewhere. I think that black granite screams 80s. Our fixtures have been ordered and they are all chrome. We are planning on a steely blue for the walls with a beadboard wainscoting. Any and all input appreciated.

I've been told that the greek key is actually expensive (who would have thought) but I think we will spring for a border unless it is insane. Otherwise, I think we are going with something like this Bathroom_11.JPGwhich gives us the option of using two tones in the flooring pattern. We'd stay pretty neutral (grey/cream/black/whites) because tile is a pain to change.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I like your DH's idea. I think the white / grey with white & black tile would mean you could change the entire look just by changing accent colors with towls/rugs/curtains.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

First - I think the whole thing is going to be stunning, and I'm jealous. Next - I'm with you on the marble. I'm not a huge fan. Have you looked at quartz? Not as glossy as granite or marble, but still very sturdy and high end.

Comment

So - just so you have a frame of reference - we've considered white for the top (like the image), black granite, carerra marble which has lots of grey in it, and soapstone (which feels great so we may use it for the shower seat but doesn't seem like something that would look good on a black piece of furniture IMHO).
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! I have been to the tile shop three times now and left each time without ordering. I am determined to finalize this week. We'd like to order the top then too - or at least know that we are going with something standard. I had not considered quartz. I will have to look tomorrow at that. DH also offered the idea of slate. There are simply too many choices.

Luanne - we are hoping that we can change the look over time if we want with just paint, etc. We have a tile "accent" in our existing family bathroom and it is so out of date. We keep thinking that if they hadn't sprung for the fancy center medallion and just left it all off white the bathroom would look so much better now!
          Angie

Comment

Amy picked marble for her kitchen and bathroom and she is sorry now. Everything leaves spots, even water, and they are impossible to get rid of. The spots wouldn't bother me, but they do bother Amy & her DH.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Slate is a good idea, too. I've heard the same thing about marble, Luanne. In a bathroom you'd be fighting a losing battle!

Comment

Carrera marble is very classic 1920s subway. Honestly, I'd go simple white porcelain. Something all in one piece because the more there "is" the more there is to clean.

Jenn

Comment

I like the idea of white porcelain. Simple and will beautifully complement the white subway tile. While the marble and stone look spiffy at first, it seems like it would be hard to update a look because you will be tied to the colors in the stone.
                  Kris

Comment

I'm thinking a solid piece of carrera would look fabulous. Maybe honed so you wouldn't have to worry about the surface getting dulled? And yes, that Greek key tile will be expensive! Worth the splurge, IMO.

Black granite is 80s?? Don't laugh when you see my house then, because I have galaxy in the kitchen and butler's pantry. I love staring at the little copper flecks.

Comment

We have marble in our bathroom, and dh cleans it every single day. We have natural stone floors and he wipes them down, too, because you can see water droplets.

Every. Single. Day. The man is that crazy. We've been living here for two months and he's on his hands and knees for a good hour.

I can't wait to see what you do!!!!
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I am so clueless.

When I read this thread title, I clicked right away, wondering:"What weird story does someone have about a bathroom in Reno, Nevada?" I thought for sure it was some sordid story!

Comment

Loooove those cabinets! Our bathroom marble is hard to maintain. I like the look enough to think it's worth it, but I don't know if I'd choose it for a long-term place.

Sounds like lots of fun! I bet it will look very classy.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                            I am so clueless.

When I read this thread title, I clicked right away, wondering:"What weird story does someone have about a bathroom in Reno, Nevada?" I thought for sure it was some sordid story!
                            Being from Reno, I have "Reno antennae" and catch the word everywhere! (Also Nevada, actually.) But I have gotten used to it being short for renovation!

Angie, I think I would go with a plain white or black thing, but I don't really know anything about all the kinds of stone.
                            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I was just about to go with the marble despite the clean up BUT I'm going to order this afternoon and I think I'm sticking with plain vanilla white. DH will be disappointed - but we will have the classy mosaic floor he wants. We have an antique side table in the bedroom that I was handed down and the marble top on it has several yellow stains. I'm not even good at keeping EASY bathroom counters clean.

I can't wait to have it all done. Or even some of it done. Right now, it is still bare studs -- some with the insulation I'm installing in between bites of bon bons, of course.
                              Angie

Comment

Working...
                              X