Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Homeowner's Starter Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Homeowner's Starter Kit

I need help from all the DIY wizards. What kind of tools are essential for a homeowner? I'd like to be prepared for minor stuff that's easily done by a novice. We have a couple of screwdrivers, pliers and a really old hammer. I have a feeling we could use a drill but beyond that I'm lost. I don't even know how to start looking for a drill or what kind we'd need. I'd love something I could use myself. So please make a list of things that are essential to any household. thanks.

These are the things i use for regular home ownership. Not for any kind of renovation or replacing toilets or any of that.

One of those flat spatula things for patching holes in drywall
    Level
    Awl or other hole punch
    Stud finder or a good ear
    Drill (go to the store and hold them - much like a good knife it should fit your hand and feel balanced)
    Screwdrivers in all sizes (Darn kid toys with their mini screws!)
    Hex wrenches/allen wrenches
    Measuring tape
    Rubber mallet
    Hammer (also hold them and swing them - make sure it feels right)
    Pliers including needle nosed with a wire cutter
    Electrical tape
    Plumbing tape
    Duct tape

For fixing things, you'll probably want a full wrench set or at least two sizes of adjustable wrenches. The wrench sets usually come with adjustable wrenches and socket wrenches. I also think clamps and or vice grips can be helpful. We haven't done much home repair though....and when we did the kitchen remodel years ago we had help from someone who knew what they were doing (FIL).
    Last edited by Michele; 12-07-2010, 07:26 AM.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I forgot to add a saw. I rarely use it, but it's beens good to have.

We also have screws and nails and wall anchors in various sizes. Just in case.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

In addition to Michele's list, hubby uses his shovel quite a bit. And the ax has come in handy (break down fallen branches after storms). And the man lives his cordless drill. Get one of those spotlight things in case you have to make an outside repair at night (falling fences anyone?). Can't hold a drill and flashlight at the same time.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Depends on what you're comfortable working on. We have a metric ass load of tools because DH fancies himself a handyman. (To his credit, he IS pretty damn handy.) If he wasn't around, here's what I'd keep on hand:

-hammer
          -drill
          -full set of drill bits including varying sizes of screw driver bits
          -putty knives in a couple different sizes
          -good quality paint brushes (I prefer Purdy)
          -electrical tape
          -wire cutters/strippers
          -shop vac
          -plumbing snake
          -hemostats (I realize this is a weird one, but I use them all the time for various little projects. Those puppies are handy!)
          -sanding blocks and sandpaper in various grits

Comment

add:
            staple gun
            caulking gun
            pitchfork (for turning your compost, of course!)
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

A mid-weight cordless drill is a must. It should have a second battery pack and seperate recharger. As for a saw... if you are serious about home projects, a circular saw or miter saw is a must. I heart my dad's compound miter saw with an unholy lust. But then again, I grew up in a house on par with "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and the blond from Cheers, complete with my mom falling through the ceiling at one point.
              Kris

Comment

Thanks, I've checked in the basement and it seems that my dad has quite a bit of stuff here from when he was doing various things, so we already have about 2/3 of Michele's list.

What are hemostats and how is electrical tape different from duct tape and why do I need both? Any brand names for drills? How much do you use the staple gun and for what? It seems like a cool toy to have but I'm not sure what to do with one. Also is shop vac same as dry/wet vac (it was recommended we get one of these for the fireplace)?

Comment

Hemostats are the surgical clamps that look kinda like toothy scissors.

http://0.tqn.com/d/dentistry/1/0/O/6/hemostats.jpg
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

You need both electrical tape and duct tape.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5810421_el...duct-tape.html
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

staple gun is not used too much, but when you need one, you really need it.
                      I use it a ton when I'm putting in insulation. Not much otherwise.

duct tape - if you're actually using it for ducts (in my last house, our ducts were all held together with tape), get the good kind. Otherwise the cheap kind is probably good enough.
                      electrical tape - you need to have a roll of it around, just in case. When you repair a switch or outlet, it's needed to wrap wires and things.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Electric tape is designed with low tack adhesive (isn't super sticky) and insulates wires.

Hemostats work REALLY well for unplugging hair from drains (we have three females with longish hair) and various other instances when you need really long, strong, tweezer-like devices.

Comment

My DH and my dad swear by Craftsman, they have lifetime warranties on them (not the batteries) but the rest of it, even the drill bits. My DH has a set that was given to him for Christmas one year - its a drill, a flashlight and a saw all with the same interchangeable battery.

Otherwise I think everyone else has you covered.
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Craftsman makes pretty decent tools, but we have some Ryobi power tools (saws, drills, etc.) that are extremely durable. They've survived putting in 180' of privacy fencing, complete bathroom remodel including lots of tile, and my klutzy DH/kids.

Not all shop vacs are wet/dry, but I wouldn't buy one unless it was.

Comment

DH loves anything Craftsman or Ryobi.
                              Veronica
                              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                              X