Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Soda Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda Stream

Holy Moly this thing is great! If you drink soda or sparkling water, this is well worth the investment- you'll never have to buy the stuff again. I've been experimenting and have made a couple different flavored waters (non-calorie, non-artificially sweetened) and a diet soda. I've ordered tonic and diet tonic syrups and several other flavors as well.

I didn't get the top of the line version but the next one down. It's really compact, too compared to other kitchen appliances.

We got my parents one for Christmas because they only drink soda water and they were constantly running to the store and their recycling bin was nothing but seltzer bottles (and wine bottles) and they were so impressed that they bought my brother one for his birthday four days later. (they were going to buy me one but I bought mine first)

J.

I was looking at one of these a few weeks ago. I'm curious how long a carbonator lasts before you need a replacement. That's really the only negative I found, and I'd love to not have all those bottles and cans to recycle.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

The cartridges last a while (2-3 months) according to my parents- then you return them to Soda Stream or to a store- and then you buy another one- but you get a discount for bringing back the canister since they're reusable. My parents always have one in use and one back up, just in case. Just for comparison's sake, my parents would go through several 2 liter bottles of seltzer water a week- that's how much they're making w/ the Soda Stream now.

Jenn

Comment

Hole crap! That's awesome. I had considered this for DH, but was unsure about how long the CO2 lasts.

Comment

Could I use this to make a better diet coke?? Does it make caffeinated sodas? Hmmmm....
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
            Could I use this to make a better diet coke?? Does it make caffeinated sodas? Hmmmm....
            curious to know, too.
            Needs

Comment

Yes to diet cola and carbonated sodas. This is on my wish list, too! Everyone seems to love them.

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/store.a...FZFoKgodeh-fsg
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Expense-wise, does it end up being cheaper than buying soda after a while? Obviously there is the upfront intial cost of the machine, but I wasn't sure if the mixes ended up being more than soda from the store. DH's cousin LOVES his, but I don't think I'd just make carbonated water, I think I'd end up paying so much for all the mixes, and with the mixes it doesn't necessarily seem any healthier than store bought soda.
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Doesn't seem cheaper, no. Looks like if you have the 4-exchange package of carbonators and the $5 soda mixes it comes out to about $.66/liter. (If my math is right.)
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

It's cheaper than what I pay for cans of seltzer and I don't buy enough soda to compare but- .66/liter is cheaper than most sodas isn't it?

J.

Comment

I had one of these when I lived in Germany years ago. I always wondered why i could never find them here in the US. I think many people here aren't bothered by driving to the grocery store, while in Europe many people bike to the store, including old people! The thing that was nice was that you didn't have to carry drinks back and forth, and that decreased the weight that you carried on your back!

I didn't like the cola flavors, but did like the lemon-lime, orange (like Fanta), and just making my own seltzer water without flavor.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                        It's cheaper than what I pay for cans of seltzer and I don't buy enough soda to compare but- .66/liter is cheaper than most sodas isn't it?

J.
                        I may be wrong, but I think I reasonably often see 2-liter bottles of soda for around $1 on sale (don't usually buy much soda, so my info may be out of date).
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Sandy beat me to it. The 2-liter bottles of brand name soda go on sale for $0.88 on a regular basis here (sometimes as low as $0.69), so I'd say the soda stream is more expensive.
                          Cristina
                          IM PGY-2

Comment

Overall, it is probably more expensive...but I cant deny the novelty has me wanting it! I like to mix sparkling water with fruit juice. Delicious!.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Well, remember also having to go GET the soda and water, too.

Convenience factors alone- I love it.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X