Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cleaning Tips/Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a cleaner who comes every other week, which incidentally is when my stove and guest bath get done. I wish I could get away with mopping once a week but with self feeding toddler I have to do at least twice. I also use Method for hardwood but with disposable swifter clothes.

Comment

Just chucked my squeezed lemon in the micro while I drank my cocktail and...it.was.awesome. Totally worked! Thanks for the tip.
      -Ladybug

Comment

I'm glad it worked! The lemon-in-microwave totally makes my day!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Just the lemon, or do you put it in water?
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

What do you use to clean granite counter tops? I have been using disinfecting wipes, but it leaves streaks and does not look good. I am trying to convince my husband that we need a cleaner... There are several reputable Dallas house cleaning services that come to various houses in our neighborhood, but we are trying to save money now that he is going back to school. Its just so hard for me to get anything done during the day because my youngest requires a lot of attention.
            Last edited by poky; 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wash and a dry one to buff. Occasionally I'll use diluted Castile soap to wash it. No need to spend $$$ on wipes and such.

Eta: I buy microfiber cloths in 24 packs @ SAMs club and use them for everything. They're so so much cheaper there than say buying a pack of 3 at target.

Comment

We use microfiber cloths and Windex vinegar spray. The disinfection wipes tend to leave streaks that drive me insane. We've found great deals on microfiber cloths at Ross/TJ Maxx.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

What do you use on a stainless steel fridge? I used stainless steel wipes the other day and had massive streaks! I couldn't get them out until I used olive oil.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I use stainless steel cleaner and microfiber cloths for stainless steel. On granite, microfiber cloths and windex. Granite cleaners leave streaks.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

The house we are renting has granite and stainless...letting me know what I *don't* want in a future house.

On the counters I just wash them down with a warm, mildly soapy sponge. (blue dawn). I rinse the sponge and wipe up the bubbles, rinse PRN.

The stainless fridge gets wiped down with a wet rag. If I need to get rid of greasy finger prints I just use the soapy sponge.

I have the Method daily granite bc Russ likes using "sprays". But I don't really like it. I never notice streaks bc the granite has a very busy pattern. My beef with the granite is the grittiness. It *always* seems dirty ten minutes after I clean it. And the stainless fridge? Drip streaks from the kids getting water, fingerprints galore...ugh. I wipe it down a couple of times a day!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michele, that is funny that you say that because being in a rental in Roch and now here has also made me realize things I don't want in my someday house.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

The VERY best cleaner for stainless steel is WD-40. Trust me, spray some on a soft cloth, rub with the grain of the ss and you will have beautifully shiney ss. .
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Michele, they make faux stainless steel now that looks pretty good. Our current fridge is that material and is great. I hate how messy my parents ss fridge gets.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              Michele, they make faux stainless steel now that looks pretty good. Our current fridge is that material and is great. I hate how messy my parents ss fridge gets.
                              the problem w/the faux SS stuff is it really limits your options as to brand/style of the appliance. We just went through fridge and dishwasher shopping, and of the 10-15 styles of fridge we looked at, 2 were available in the faux SS, and didn't have the things we wanted on them.

Comment

I'm totally going to be "that doctors wife" because I'm thinking I want the fridge and dishwasher etc to be paneled like the cabinets. Or maybe I'll get one of those fancy schmancy frosted glass door fridges.
                                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                                X