Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Furniture Spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furniture Spacing

*Let me preface this with that it is probably the stupidest question ever, but I am going to blame hormones because I cannot freaking make a decision... so I come to you for advice.

We picked out our crib, and dresser.

They will be in our loft which has yet to be walled off... we used the measurements the contractor gave us, but not realizing that he was including drywall and what not, in order to fit both the crib and the dresser, and leave 2.5 feet to get into the closet both the dresser and crib would be only about ONE inch apart, and the dresser would be either flush to the corner or be an inch away from the wall.

[2.5 feet to access closet on other wall] [Crib] [1 inch] [Dresser] [Wall/corner].

They do have another dresser which is 11 inches shorter, but I just don't like it as much. It looks a little too much like baby furniture. I know I am being totally silly, and just need to get over it, but I am having trouble deciding what to do. The other three walls are pretty much out (I've tried other arrangements) because they include a window, a closet, and bookshelves the length of the wall. It also has to do with wanting to put the lazy boy in the corner so you don't trip over it as you walk in the room (I want an open flow).

I really want the larger dresser, but will it be 1) dangerous having the dresser so close to the crib (I do intend to use a crib tent later on, and the dresser is only 18 inches deep, but a climber will climb anything)? and/or 2) will it look rediculous to have the dresser and crib that close together?

This is stupid I know, but please humor a crazy pregnant lady and give me your thoughts. (DH has been on call so I haven't discussed it with him yet).
    Last edited by MarissaNicole; 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM.
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

It's not stupid and no I don't think it will matter. R's room is tight, he is now 2 and hasn't had any issues with his desk being within arms reach of his crib.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

B's (kid I nanny) changing table is right next to his bed. I just have to make sure things on the changing table like his wipes are not with in reach because he will play with those things, but he has yet to try climbing on it. Even so, you can always rearrange in 18 months when this becomes more of an issue.
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

How big is the closet? My kids had empty dressers until they were over a year old. I hung almost everything and put onesies in a basket on a shelf in the closet. I actually have no idea why I did this other than just post pregnancy crazy, but it might b a good option.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
          How big is the closet? My kids had empty dressers until they were over a year old. I hung almost everything and put onesies in a basket on a shelf in the closet. I actually have no idea why I did this other than just post pregnancy crazy, but it might b a good option.
          The closet is not yet built as it will be part of the wall to go up to make the loft a room. But based on the contractors estimate it will be about 2 feet deep by four feet long. The closet will be on the wall perpendicular to the crib, which is why I want 2.5 feet to open the closet doors and access whatever I store in the closet. I want the dresser because I want to use it as a changing table and as furniture in the future, rather than just a changing table which won't get as long of a use.

Comment

I think you should go with the dresser you really like (the big one). Maybe it would fit in the closet? I found myself using a changing table for only a short period of time. Within weeks, we used a changing pad on the floor and did so for 5 kids....don't know why...it was just easier that way. Either way, even if it's close to the dresser you should be ok. When the baby starts climbing (and the tent is no longer an effective detterent) then you'll convert to a twin bed anyway, right?

Congrats on finding furniture that you love! Not silly at all!

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree with putting the dresser in the closest for a while if you're worried but it will probably be fine. Other option would be to have the builder put in some shelves for you and scrap the dresser idea all together though I bet the set looks really nice. What did you decide to go with?

FWIW, we aren't even doing a dresser, we've just folded all the baby clothes into a waist high wicker cabinet and are making do with that. Since we don't have a dedicated changing pad on top of a dresser, we'll do changes on the floor or in the pack n' play changing area. I know some people like their baby clothes hung but we have limited closet space without a dedicated nursery so I didn't want to remove all of our clothes to hang baby clothes. Plus, baby clothes seem SO small, I don't know that I'd want to hang 1,000 onesies anyway (but I'm totally lazy).
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'd go with the bigger dresser. We have a similar setup - changing pad on the dresser - and I like the space. It gives me room to keep wipes and diaper cream out on top, and room to put pants and shoes during the diaper change.

I also hang everything, even pajamas for awhile, but I liked the storage space of the dresser for all the random stuff, like blankets, Boppy covers, extra diapers, etc. You can never have enough storage space, IMO!

Laurie
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Okay you guys are making me feel better about going with the bigger dresser. Just need to discuss with DH when he gets home.

I don't think the dresser will fit in the closet so that's not an option. I look at this furniture as an investment to be used with a full/twin as baby grows which is also why I like the bigger one.

I consider the room big, as its 11 feet 8 inches long. You also made me realize that the dresser can be moved along another wall when we no longer need the lazy boy. For the first six months I'll want to use the lazy boy to nurse/rest in the middle of the night.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a good plan!
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Another option is to put sliding doors on the closet, then opening them won't be an issue. We had the dresser (I use it for her sheets, blankets, etc.) right next to the crib for a bit over a year and it was fine. We actually had the camera on the dresser until she could reach and play with the cord.

Comment

Yeah I think I'll ask if we can do sliding doors on the closet. Makes me feel better that others have put the dresser next to the crib. I was afraid there might be some safety risk.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X