Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Seeping Walls??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeping Walls??

So we have a walk-out basement which means about 2/3 of it is buried. When we first moved here we had some water in the basement, we decided it was a malfunctioning buried drain spout, we had it sealed. No more issues in that area.

I have always noticed lines on the foundation walls (Old house, rock foundation, not concrete) like water ran down the walls but have never actually seen it and we haven't had any more water in the basement (that we know of).

Fast forward to yesterday. There was about 8-12 feet of wall where you could tell the floor under it had been wet recently and a box that had been pushed up under that section was still wet on the bottom. So I pushed everything away from the wall and drew a chalk line where the dark spots already were because its supposed to rain over the next few days.

Got home this morning about an hour ago and in a small area the water had seeped over the line, there was a VERY fine line of water running out of the wall, like the wall is seeping. So I went outside and raked all of the leaves back that had settled in the outside flower bed, the soil was dry. So now I'm really confused...so the water from the outside soil is seeping into the foundation walls...this can't be normal (or GOOD! ACK!) luckily only one room and one bathroom have walls (and only 3 small ones at that) that are finished but what is the fix??

Anyone have experience with this? Off to start calling companies off of Angies List...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

No advice, but we have basement issues of our own so I feel your pain.

Comment

My parents basement seeped - it eventually stopped on its own. I think it was due to settling, but it sounds like your problem is post-settling (their house was built in 1996, and the seeping stopped around 2001). Good luck!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

When we moved to this house the basement flooded. It took 6+months to find out what was causing it. They would do something, then the next rain it would leak. This went on for months. 3 new sets of carpet. The last time the drywall all had to be replaced. It was the grade in the yard that caused it. The yard was higher than the concrete and it would run over that and through the walls. It looked like it was always leaking from the floor until the 4th time when Ryan and I took a hammer to the walls and saw the waterfall.

I know how frustrating it can be. Big hugs!! I still check the downstairs when it rains. I have PTSD
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Given the age of the house, my guess is that there is no drain tile around the perimeter and that the landscaping isn't draining the water away. I don't envy you because it is a total pain to fix if that is the issue.
          Kris

Comment

Yeh, I don't know - I guess we'll see. The landscaping was all redone shortly before we moved in, including buried drainage...

I just went back and read our inspection and it says, "seepage is normal in a stone basement" so I guess I just need to find out how much is normal, maybe I just can't have anything up against the wall in cardboard, maybe I need to do all plastic tubs.

Comment

We had a bad winter with lots of freezing then thawing then freezing. I don't know of that had anything to do with it.
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Seems weird that I should reply considering I don't live there yet, but here is what I've learned recently (if you know all of this, feel free to ignore): the clay soil in the area is really messing w/foundations bc it contracts during big droughts if not kept moist. This contracting causes foundations to move and shift. Hence the "water your foundation" advice everywhere. However, maintaining good drainage is essential to avoid underground pooling. For our house that means building up the grade around the house to ensure adequate (even) drainage. Basements can flood if there is overflow from storm drains into basement drains (according to homeowners agent) but that doesn't sound like your issue.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Hydrostatic water pressure. You can seal it out with a product called Drylock. Works wonders.

Comment

In Columbus, everyone uses Drylock. It's SO worth it!
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

How does that work? Is it just painted on or injected into the cracks?

Comment

It's just a really smelly paint (I'm sure Wendy might know what it actually is). You basically roll it on.
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

There's a hydraulic caulk and crack filler putty for the larger cracks, but the rest of the wall is just painted with their paint.

Comment

Do you see any blushing on the concrete? Kind of looks like baby powder/talcum powder.

Comment

So I saw your link on fb, and I'm wondering if that is what is already on the walls. Its a stone foundation and on the outside of the house you can see the stone - on the inside of the house it is white, like its been painted...I'm sure its been more then 10 years though, maybe its just time to do it again.

However, it seems like it would be hard to roll on because of the surface, is it sprayed on?

IMAGE_76BF5F35-C9B4-46C2-A316-1A71A9E5A94B.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X