Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Did you use an interior decorator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just make sure whoever you hire doesn't work solely on commission. They can potentially do anything from rearranging what you currently have to completely changing everything. Make sure to ask for a breakdown of the fees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

So cute phoebe! That's exactly the help I need.
      -Ladybug

Comment

Awesome! I can probably afford your eight year old! She's hired! LOL.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

YES! And it was great! We love the guy we worked with. He and his husband work together and have two kids. That's something I recommend -- find someone who has kids and understands kid traffic and wear/tear. He always gives us options for a certain space ("I think you need a statement piece here. Let's see what you've got already.") And if we don't have anything that already works, he gives as an option from IKEA, Crate and Barrel, and then Room and Board/RH. So all the price ranges. It's great. And he's honest with us -- he tells us "if you aren't attached to this piece of furniture, then I think an XYZ would work well." Very diplomatic, and doesn't hurt our feelings. I am not attached to stuff other than old baby clothes apparently; we've moved so often.

Try it! I think we paid around $1000 for a consultation and ideas for each room (including finishes) for each room in our house. He helped us pick carpeting, and did a great job with finding a pattern that is modern and hides kids' stains.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

How do you go about finding someone that has an aesthetic you like?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post

Here is my 8 year old's design board
              Did you work with Honey & Fitz? I love her blog. She does the BEST kids rooms.

Comment

Yes OrionGrad! I am still trying to execute 4 rooms. She is as awesome as her blog.
                Needs

Comment

That is NOT in the budget...and I am a control freak, so having someone else pick out things would make me crazy. Also, I love shopping for decor, I'm just all out of space!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
                    That is NOT in the budget...and I am a control freak, so having someone else pick out things would make me crazy. Also, I love shopping for decor, I'm just all out of space!
                    I love it too! It would be a total waste of money because I'd want to pick out everything
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenclaw View Post
                      How do you go about finding someone that has an aesthetic you like?
                      Many have websites and/or are on Facebook with pictures of what they have done. I like super modern, Dh likes cosy, so....we found a modern guy.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                        Many have websites and/or are on Facebook with pictures of what they have done. I like super modern, Dh likes cosy, so....we found a modern guy.
                        I like modern too! Is yours an online decorator? The ones around us when I look on Houzz do not share my taste...

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenclaw View Post
                          I like modern too! Is yours an online decorator? The ones around us when I look on Houzz do not share my taste...
                          No, it's an actual interior decorator located in my city. Dh googled and found his portfolio. We really really liked his personality, and are going to ask him for help with our fireplace. I'd like to do an elongated or wrap-around, but need a second opinion, and I sort of trust him more than my dh.

I like modern. Like uncomfortable-don't-stay-in-my-house-modern. I don't like pictures of people and the lived-in look. I'm a little nuts that way.

Comment

Sigh...this is where I just don't fit the mold, I guess. I cannot imagine hiring one but my house isn't that spectacular. My husband's partners and a couple of our friends have houses and I don't know if they used one or not, but their houses look spectacular. However, it doesn't feel like anyone lives there either. I don't want gorgeous artwork on my walls or antiques. I want the pictures of my kids and husband that are all over the place. We've blown up several that my husband took. I have comfortable things that I like or my husband likes....kind of like our wedding, we are the only ones that count. I like my house. It will never be on HGTV, but it is the way I like it.. Is it as nice as my husband's partners....not even close. I don't really care.

Comment

Originally posted by spaz View Post
                              Sigh...this is where I just don't fit the mold, I guess.
                              There's a mold??
                              Alison

Comment

While in residency, DH gave me a GC for redesigners. These two ladies came in and used YOUR stuff to decorate your house. They did give me a few recommendations for additional items but for the most part, it was the stuff I loved. They wanted to know what things were a must, hated or just meh as well as how we used or wanted to use the rooms. It was the best $$ we have ever spent. The formal living (which was never used) all of of the sudden became our favorite hang out. My antique little chair that I found for nothing and was always afraid that my 300+lbs neighbor was going to break (he always chose it) got moved to a more prominent but less accessible spot. They basically put together all the things I loved in a way that made more sense in our home. Friends commented that the rooms seemed brighter. No paint was used just re-arranged furniture and frames on walls. Love those ladies!!

Fast forward to our last house. I went through 4 decorators...one had me in tears. First one thought since we were dawkters we needed a 10k couch with three large dogs. It was a constant battle to get her to understand that was not our lifestyle. Second one waschelpful but charged me for every minute. That's fine but do not sit and visit about your health issue and ask my husband for recommendations and later charge me for that hour we were talking about your issues instead of MY design concerns. The third one wanted me out of the house so she could do her reveal. Ummm, ok. When I returned, everything that I loved was in a room somewhere. My home was beautiful but it was not us.at.all. That is when I cried. The fourth was descent. She was very reasonable cost wise and had some great ideas BUT you could tell she was not comfortable with our eclectic style. DH and I bring stuff back from everywhere we travel. Yes, I know my little ceramic bulls are ugly...but they remind me of the houses in Peru that display them on the highest part of the roof. Hey, at least I do not have them attached to the outside of my house.

I would recommend a designer for sure but will add that you must tell them exactly what you DON'T want. When you only state what you want their interpretation can be different. Also, do not feel bad if you go through several. Sometimes they get you and sometimes they don't. The first ladies got me immediately.
                                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                                X