Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wall ovens. Kill me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall ovens. Kill me.

So... We are having to make decisions quickly. Very quickly. We have a strange under-stairs area to work with where we will stash the appliances. The ceiling slopes and we have about 3' depth to work with but a sloping ceiling that goes from 8' to 5' tall. We need to work around a support wall too. We are putting a fridge on the left of the wall and the oven to the right. We will use faux cabinets to mask the sloped ceiling. Anyway,

I can have:

1) one wall oven at counter height, with a counter above to put hot dishes on, and a microwave on a shelf above that. Not much verticals clearance.

2). One double wall oven, microwave on the opposite wall on a shelf. No counter space to put hot dishes that come out of the oven.

3). Microwave/oven built in combo. Same issue with no counter space for hot dishes.

4). Raise up the oven to about 1 ft above counter space, and small counter on that to put hot dishes. Microwave on opposite side of kitchen on a shelf.

????
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Pic?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Although my counters are Corian and butcher block maple, which should tolerate some heat, I don't trust them with oven-fresh dishes. I only ever really put stuff on the stove. How close will your cooktop be?
      Alison

Comment

I'd rather have the double oven. We don't use ours really often, but when we do, it is really awesome. We also lack counter space. Probably not a great idea, but we usually just set hot dishes over on an empty spot on the stove.

In the house we rented, there was an oven without a broiler or drawer underneath, but above the oven, there was a toaster oven built in, like all the same appliance. It was the same height as the counter, and the stove was also built in on top. It was a really great setup that *almost* gave us two ovens without taking up so much space. We used the toaster oven part a lot more than we use our double ovens, since it heated up faster than a full sized one.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

This is the wall as it is. I know, right?
          Peggy

Comment

Current pantry with sloping ceiling next to a divider wall that is a support for the stairs.
            Peggy

Comment

This is the sloping ceiling in the little under stairs space that would fit the oven.
              Peggy

Comment

This is the shortest part under the stairs- 62"
                Peggy

Comment

Wall ovens. Kill me.

So we can put either double oven in the space of the little short doorway, or a oven/microwave combo, or the micro/countertop/single oven.

The counters will be granite.

Hawaii is weird. Granite is probably cheaper than corian and definitely less than Quartz. So anyway we would definitely put hot dishes on the counter, or food waiting to go into the oven or the microwave.

ETA: obvious but please excuse the mess... And MrsK if you look at this- I'm sorry!!! We have plans for a pantry we can organize.
                  Peggy

Comment

I'd want a counter immediately next to the oven for sure. To hold tools, oven mitts, and be able to place immediately next to it when you remove things. Maybe it's having toddlers but I like in fear of carrying anything hot across anywhere because of spilling or tripping potential.
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I vote for the double ovens. That was on our wish list when we were home shopping.
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

You can just see our ovens on the left of this pic- the top oven is a GE Advantium 220 which is a microwave and a speed cook oven, the lower oven is a traditional/convection oven. It will hold a lot! They wouldn't have to be that high either, ours has a warming drawer under it. I love the setup and the space even though we don't technically have a double oven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I second the advantium. Micro and oven in one.
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

You have a big family, double oven without question!
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'd go for option 1 or 2. If you don't bake loads or don't bake two things at different temps often Id go for 1. The counter space would be really helpful with hot stuff.
                              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                              X