Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tidying up and KonMari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend posted this - maybe a good place to start?

http://embracinghomemaking.net/2015/...to-throw-away/
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

• Christmas decorations are down and put away, except for the tree. Hubby is going through the junk in the office right now!
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

• Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
        A friend posted this - maybe a good place to start?

http://embracinghomemaking.net/2015/...to-throw-away/
        Can't disagree that most of that stuff is better out than in. But don't get discouraged if it doesn't feel like it makes a big difference. I found that not much affected my day-to-day until I started focusing on the stuff I kept, why I wanted it around, and how I wanted to take care of it by finding it a place in my home.
        Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Can't disagree that most of that stuff is better out than in. But don't get discouraged if it doesn't feel like it makes a big difference. I found that not much affected my day-to-day until I started focusing on the stuff I kept, why I wanted it around, and how I wanted to take care of it by finding it a place in my home.
          Right now we just need to get rid of all the crap. There's so much paper and stuff in our drop-zones, and I feel like I can't do anything else until we tackle those. I emptied the basket by the back door this morning, so that's one step. Hubby is still working on the office desk, but making progress! I feel lighter already.

Comment

• Keep it up!!!
            Alison

Comment

• We probably got rid of 2-3 garbage bags full of paper and junk. We still have some work to do, but it's progress! I can only sit for so long and work on it before I get too uncomfortable, so back to knitting for a while.

Comment

• That's a good list! Except I keep my Apple product boxes...iPhones sell better when they look brand new in the original box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                  That's a good list! Except I keep my Apple product boxes...iPhones sell better when they look brand new in the original box.
                  Same with camera equipment. We're keeping those too, and they're well organized in a closet, currently.

Comment

• I slowed down. :/ Dad is visiting tomorrow, so other cleaning took priority.
                    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

• I just gave away all but a few of E's sippy cups and replaced them with Take n Toss cups, which stack easily and have lids of the same size, so I can stop putting them all on the drying rack in my kitchen with lids all over the place.

Comment

• I'm making my way through the apt again! I'm setting aside a pile for hubby to go through after he takes the ABSITE on the 31st

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                        Grace

Comment

• I ran out of steam late last week when we had more guests in town, but am feeling good about the progress I made. We ordered our dream dresser as a mutual Christmas present (10 drawer quarter sawn oak "chesser", omg!) so everything will have a place... When it arrives in 10 weeks. We've gone so long without appropriate clothing storage, it's going to make a huge difference to our organization. I'm going to get rid of all under bed tubs to battle the cat hair/dust bunny infestation. Anyway, not strictly KM but something we've wanted for a long time that I think is going to help a lot. The bedroom is almost under control. I've made it to the office 3 days this week, because it was almost as easy to find work clothes to wear as it is to throw on jeans and a t-shirt. The other two days I blame on PMS and a cold, not disorganization. Progress! Next up I want to fully tackle the kitchen and office categories (papers, electronic accessories, kitchen accessories, dishes). I'll do it by category, not room, but my goal is to have those two spaces becoming more organized and easy to use because they are big sources of stress for me, and I desperately want them to be energizing spaces where I can get things done and enjoy myself. I bet just those four categories could take me the next month.

Comment

• Just going to leave this here

http://the-toast.net/2015/02/24/get-...ve-abundantly/

Comment

• I immediately started feeling defensive after mentioning that we got a giant dresser ("DH is a t-shirt pack rat! He got all itchy when I tried to help him purge clothes! I'm going to store our bedding in the bottom drawers! I'm not going to use this as an excuse to accumulate crap!) And then I realized that this one enormous item will become a very joyful center of my morning, with a nice lamp sitting on it and a big mirror and a little top drawer for my makeup so I can get ready in the bedroom, where DD can play if she's already up (bathroom is small and outside the baby gated zone). I know KM doesn't really go for acquiring new organizational tools, but I think the end result is going to be very much in the spirit of KM.

Anyway, just responding to my own imaginary criticism...

Comment

• No way dude! Marie basically says you don't go on a Container Store spree and then try to fill the things you bought with your existing stuff, before you've even started discarding. And ideally, you try to work with what you have, because chances are, you already have most of what you think you need. But everyone buys furniture at some point or another, and right now when you know exactly what you have and how it will fit in the dresser, seems like the perfect time for that!

I totally bought all kinds of storage stuff during my process, with few regrets. But I also re-used a lot of Apple product boxes.
                                Alison

Comment

Working...
                                X