Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Washing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been happy with our front loaders. We had a couple Kenmores which were good, but now that Sears has tanked, it's not really an option. We bought an Electrolux in our new house, and it has cleaned well. It chewed up some clothes, but I've learned to keep the spin speed down on anything not absolutely rugged.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
      [MENTION=1315]TulipsAndSunscreen[/MENTION], do you have issues with the door latches or noise? That is my concern with mine.
      They are not the quietest. That is for sure. But it's fine. We got them off CL basically brand new for $400 so loud is fine with me. No issue with the latches. And I've never had a smell issue despite living in relatively high humidity and never running a special clean.

We have to leave them with the house though. DH has promised to "find something similar" on CL in Texas (which should be awesome on like 2 days notice). And we need a refrigerator too. Should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I have never had an issue with the smell either. I leave the door to the washer open a lot so it can dry, but that is it. Apparently that was largely a Whirlpool issue?
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
          I think maybe Samsung was the top rated on the majority of lists I looked at yesterday. Do you feel like it's cleaning the clothes? (I'm a little taller, I think I'd be fine with it).

We bought it in December and I feel like it does a good job. It was highly rated and came with the soaking sink thing on top. I NEVER use that feature and kind of find it pointless for anyone who already has a sink in their laundry room. The washing machine prior to this one was a Maytag Elite top loader which I liked, but the damn thing broke after only 3 years. Really pissed me off since our old school agitator one before that lasted over a decade.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Hum. Ok. Thank you all. Another question.... my last dryer had a steam function, but not the washer. This washer does. Do you think that using that would help the stains? I don't get the point of it on a washer - quick google had all sort of differing rationales for it.

Watching my kids get all sorts of stains on their clothes right now and it's only 9:45am.... awesome.

Comment

Hum. Ok. Thank you all. Another question.... my last dryer had a steam function, but not the washer. This washer does. Do you think that using that would help the stains? I don't get the point of it on a washer - quick google had all sort of differing rationales for it.
              Our washer has it. Personally, I haven't noticed a difference. I do use it on the dryer quite a bit, though.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Our washer has it. Personally, I haven't noticed a difference. I do use it on the dryer quite a bit, though.
                Bummer. Thought maybe I was just doing something wrong by not using it... (agree, great dryer feature!).

Comment

All our washing machines front loaders. I only give them 3 years before expecting them to die. They are cheap and easy to replace though.
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

So I'm reading.... quite a few of the recent stains are from mineral sunscreen. (Honestly was not a problem last year). Apparently hard water and mineral sunscreen are a deadly combo. Not sure how hard our water is... and doesn't change the fact that other stains - food, dirt etc- are still around. But sunscreen has been a major issue lately. Babysitter never put it on before they are dressed. Blah. I still need a new machine, but if the water is the problem.... it's so much harder. God I hate renting!!!!

Comment

Can you do a mandatory oxyclean soak before the wash goes in? Like just a 12-24 hour delay on all laundry.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Can you do a mandatory oxyclean soak before the wash goes in? Like just a 12-24 hour delay on all laundry.
                        Do you have this feature on your GE? It's the one thing I don't (think I) have and it drives me nuts. I have no laundry sink--it's a niche--so I have to soak everything in a bucket in the kitchen.

Comment

Do you have this feature on your GE? It's the one thing I don't (think I) have and it drives me nuts. I have no laundry sink--it's a niche--so I have to soak everything in a bucket in the kitchen.
                          Bucket over here too. Boo!
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post

I have been!!!

Comment

Yeah we do the bucket also.

Comment

I do the bucket soak too but just for certain things- chocolate stains and mud stains. They don't always wash out.
                                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                                X