Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sewing: how hard is it really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing: how hard is it really?

I'm feeling the need for more window treatments and have suffered from sticker shock. (Roman shades for ONE triple window: $1500 ) I am thinking of making both roman shades and drapes, and eventually stitching together a duvet. (FYI - I have a new house that drained our wallets and naked windows...and a parade of people driving by every stinking day to looky-lou)

Any good references/how-to books? Sewing machine guidelines? I'm utterly clueless but would like to learn. I want custom treatments but am to cheap to pay custom prices.

Can a doofus learn their way around a sewing machine?

Chris - maybe you and I could hire Julie for a weekend to teach us how to sew. Or better yet, hold her hostage until she sews everything we want. I, too, feel like I ought to be able to figure it out, but anything beyond a basic rectangle throws me for a loop.

Comment

I'm in on the hostage plan. Don't worry, Julie, we will be very good to you as long as you keep sewing.

Comment

I will confess.... I took clothing for two years in 4-H, my mom made my sister and I very cute matching outfits when we were little and used the sewing machine regularly as I was growing up, and my MIL has an entire room dedicated to her sewing machine, serger, etc. However, I break out in a cold sweat when confronted with a sewing machine and happily pay a friend of mine to mend our clothes. I. can't. sew. I am not a very spatial thinker and *definitely* not a visual learner. I comfort myself with my musical abilities and leave the visual/crafty stuff to people who can do it. I definitely appreciate it, though!
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Julie, I'll make you chocolates, Nellie will make pies, and Jenn will make cupcakes or cakes! Sally, are you in? I'm all over this hostage thing.

I can put buttons back on, that's a good start...right?

Comment

I've been sewing since i was a kid and its really not that hard if you can follow instructions - really. But unfortunately I don't have any good resources to get you started. You could buy a basic machine and then start with a basic pattern for practice before you tried roman shades...

I have a friend who made her own and they turned out great and she would definitely consider herself a beginner sewer.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

As Cheri says - sewing isn't really all that hard. With drapery, it is really important to get good quality fabrics (NOT the stuff you find at Joann's for 10 bucks a yard) and to line them properly. While $1500 is over the top - I wouldn't be surprised to pay a couple of hundred per window. That would cover just the cost of the fabric (starting at $30/yard heading skyward) and the hardware. Not to mention the expertise in making them.
              Kris

Comment

Bon Bon - I'm in the same boat. DH bought me a sewing machine (after doing his techy-research guy thing) for Christmas - TWO YEARS AGO. However, I've been so intimidated and completely clueless as to how to start. So I am watching this thread closely too.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                  Bon Bon - I'm in the same boat. DH bought me a sewing machine (after doing his techy-research guy thing) for Christmas - TWO YEARS AGO. However, I've been so intimidated and completely clueless as to how to start. So I am watching this thread closely too.
                  Crystal - start with something easy and fun. A skirt with an elastic waist. Or a tote bag. Depending on your style - Amy Butler stuff is supposed to be fairly easy.
                  Kris

Comment

What about Joann's special order spendy stuff? I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks per window for something nice...it's the $500 per window that makes me pass out. We still have to put a top coat on our driveway, build a deck, sidewalks, topsoil/seed lawn, landscaping...not to mention 'wants' such as crown mouldings and stuff. Gah, I wish we never built.

Comment

It's not hard, but it is easier if you have someone show you how to thread and operate the machine, read a pattern, etc. Is there anyone around that can walk you through the basics. Joann's offers basic sewing classes. They usually start with pillow cases and then move onto straight skirts or PJ bottoms. I think that's the best place to start. I've seen really cute kid's pillow cases with names, heart, etc. DO NOT start with something expensive. It's a learning process. They offer 30%-50% coupons towards classes as promotions. Sometimes they allow you to use the general coupons on classes, sometimes not. Check with them. Definitely use a coupon on your home dec fabric. Drapes are an investment. Period. We still don't have any. There are 50% coupons each weekend in the papers, and one long cut of fabric equals one item, so you can get all your fabric 50% off. As far as saving money, it depends on what equipment you have. You'll have to invest in big items and lots of little accessories. It will surprise you how much you have to invest to get this hobby started. Joann's regularly puts all accessories 50% off so I'd wait and hit one of those big holiday sales. Black Friday is around the corner and Joann's has a BIG sale on sewing, quilting supplies.

If you decide it's just for drapes I would consider checking out Craig's list and find someone that will sew them for you. You can buy the fabric with the coupons, make all the fun decisions, and then they can use all the equipment they've already invested in.
                      Last edited by Ladybug; 10-27-2009, 03:57 AM.
                      -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                        What about Joann's special order spendy stuff? I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks per window for something nice...it's the $500 per window that makes me pass out. We still have to put a top coat on our driveway, build a deck, sidewalks, topsoil/seed lawn, landscaping...not to mention 'wants' such as crown mouldings and stuff. Gah, I wish we never built.
                        The special order stuff should be okay. I've not ever used it for drapery, but it should be okay.
                        Kris

Comment

You guys are SO funny! I don't know HOW I missed this! Curtains can be tricky. I know - that is hard to believe. But dealing the weight of all that fabric is really tough and takes a LOT of patience. I've only done curtains out of cotton, and that took quite a long time. Trying to lay it all out, getting it stay w/out moving over the place, etc, is really tough. Roman shades are tricky, because of how they are hung. Honestly, if you want Roman shades, get some cheap ones from Target... No - I will NOT be bribed to do them!

Currently I'm almost done with my Amy Butler shirt... and am THRILLED!!! Oh man, this shirt is coming out so cute!!! I'm gonna a few things done for myself before I have start Christmas gifts!!!

Btw is anyone making some good Christmas gifts this year? I think I'll start another thread for that!

GL on the curtains.

Comment

Well, here's my update on making roman shades. Wait for Smith + Noble to have a 40% off sale. Order shades and hang.
                            Easy, and they look great!

I've decided I have too many kids to take on a project like this!

Comment

Snicker. I think that is a fabulous update. I would opt for the same answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X