Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bikram Yoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikram Yoga

I went back today on the recommendation of my PT (yes, training for the 5k has had quite the negative impact... see- I KNEW running was bad for me)

Holy Crap. My hips are so flippin' tight. No wonder I have lower back pain.

But it felt great- 90 minutes of sweaty stretching and I'm feeling good. (now. tomorrow Rick will have to help me brush my teeth and put on my underwear)

Jenn

Re: Bikram Yoga

Quick - EPSON SALT SOAK!!!

My yoga instructor recommended it...and it really does work. She does not take complaining about soreness if we choose not to soak.

My post hard workout regimen is an epson salt & tea tree oil soak for about 20 minutes and some advil.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

If I had some, that would be great. But I took a nice long warm shower and am drinking water like a crazy person.

Why did I stay away for a year? Oh yeah- no babysitters there.

Jenn

Comment

oh - yes, yes, yes. CANNOT forget the plenty of water.

Comment

I have some Yogi Peach Detox tea that I may have before bed, too.

Once my hip/leg/assbone etc. is better I'll get back to kundalini but that requires the ability to sit for an hour or so and I'm not there yet.

Jenn

Comment

I think I would like Yoga, any suggestions on where to start?
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
              I would recommend Hatha. I would also recommend that you try different places/classes because not all instructors are the same. I cannot stand yoga classes where the instructor just stays up front and shows you all he/she can do. I always choose a class where the instructor walks around the class and works with you to make sure you are getting the most out of the "poses" - that you are doing them properly - or shows you alternatives that work for your body that still provide the same benefits. Once you know how your body should feel in each pose, you could probably try a video or audio class.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                I have some Yogi Peach Detox tea that I may have before bed, too.

Once my hip/leg/assbone etc. is better I'll get back to kundalini but that requires the ability to sit for an hour or so and I'm not there yet.

Jenn

Yum - Yogi Peach Detox tea - where do you get it? What brand is it?

Kundalini is also a struggle for me. I am usually ok the first 45 minutes but sometime after that I start to think about my grocery list, things to do...I can physically sit but my mind is not disciplined enough to get past the 45 minute mark.

Comment

Is Hatha Yoga ok for very pregnant people? I had signed up for it last session, but it got cancelled. I'm thinking about trying again for winter/spring.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                    Originally posted by Luanne123
                    I would recommend Hatha. I would also recommend that you try different places/classes because not all instructors are the same. I cannot stand yoga classes where the instructor just stays up front and shows you all he/she can do. I always choose a class where the instructor walks around the class and works with you to make sure you are getting the most out of the "poses" - that you are doing them properly - or shows you alternatives that work for your body that still provide the same benefits. Once you know how your body should feel in each pose, you could probably try a video or audio class.
                    ITA with all of this. Another peeve is when the classes are so big that the instructor cant possibly keep an eye on everyone. And try to avoid having to sign up for a series of classes without trying one first.

I just started pre-natal yoga classes, have found a great studio and instructor with small classes. I'm so excited to be back doing some yoga again.

Comment

Originally posted by planet
                      Is Hatha Yoga ok for very pregnant people? I had signed up for it last session, but it got cancelled. I'm thinking about trying again for winter/spring.
                      I think Hatha would be great...again - I cannot emphasize enough to make sure and have an instructor that can suggest alternative poses for the "very pregnant" or if you have any issues - like aches/pains/past injuries/high blood pressure/allergies etc.

Comment

There are specific pre-natal yoga classes, too. Kundalini is supposedly great for pre-natal yoga because of it's emphasis on breathing. (it was the yoga that got Cindy Crawford through her no-med births)

Most of the pre-natal classes are based on hatha yoga. There won't be too much in the way of tough poses. They usually address gentle stretching (floor based since the center of gravity is way off) and breathing techniques.

Jenn

PS- the detox tea was from Whole Foods.

Comment

The Hatha Yoga is free though.

Comment

Holy Crap.

Take two weeks off and next thing you know, you're falling on your ass doing triangle pose. (at least it didn't hurt and made me laugh.)

They have a special pricing deal for active duty military and spouses/family members so I'm going to sign up once my initial 10 pass is up.

I'll be feeling this tomorrow.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                            X