Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My fitness journal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fitness journal...

Ok...for accountability purposes to myself, I've decided to start an exercise journal for the summer. So far, I've been walking a minimum of one hour every day for the last two weeks. I've decided not to weigh myself because it only causes trouble when the scale doesn't move. I've also decided (at least for now) not to diet. Dieting doesn't work for me. I end up feeling deprived and eventually pig out on foods I've put on the forbidden list.

I just noticed this morning that my pants are fitting me better. They aren't as...tight. Anyway, hopefully checking in every day or so will help motivate me to keep it up.

My exercise tally for Sunday the 25th was: 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour/20 minutes at night. My total was 2 hours/20 min.

This morning, I walked 1.5 hours. I plan on walking an hour again tonight...we'll see if the weather holds!

ETA: Walked 1/2 hour in the evening as well. Total for Monday the 26th: 2 hours.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: My fitness journal...

Way to go for day 1! I hope the weather is kind.

Comment

Great idea and congrats!!!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

It's been about a month now since I started this. I have only missed a day or two total because of rain or running to the ER one night with one of the kids.

So...here's the deal. Before I started this, I tried a really strict diet for a couple weeks....I actually lost 6 pounds, but I just couldn't stick with it. That is when I decided to switch to exercising and just trying to be more aware of my food intake. I haven't been perfect about eating...and I've had times where I've had more than I know that I 'should'.

Ultimately though, I've chosen more fruits and veggies and have really thought twice about what I put in my mouth.

The result?

I have....gained 2 pounds.

How the hell is that possible? I stepped on the scale this morning after a long hiatus of weighing myself and really thought after walking between 1-2.5 hours/day for a month that I would be down ... I was hoping to maybe have lost 5 pounds or something. :huh: To have gained 2. Wow...that just feels...terrible.

I haven't exercised this consistently since....well....I was in my early 20's. I really enjoy my walks now and have come to depend on them every day just for my own balance and happiness.

Obviously, I just keep going....but...is it possible to exercise this much and STAY fat?

Kris

Comment

Hey - biology girl - you KNOW that muscle weighs more than fat. You're working your body, and NOTHING bad can come of that. You've said yourself that your clothes are fitting better, and you're feeling better. Screw the scale and go with that.

Comment

Actually...muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. That's one of those dieter's myths. Of course, a pound of muscle weight is less ummm...bulky than a pound of fluffy fat. So I suppose if you take chunks of fat and muscle that are the same size and put them next to each other then the muscle would weight more.

You're right though...muscle weight is healthier than fat weight.

Maybe I'll just end up being a healther ummm....fat person.

Boohooo though.

Comment

Don't you hate that?

Here is my "theory" about all that. You gain muscle faster than you lose fat. So you've been doing all this great exercise that adds muscle (and weight) and the fat is slower to go away leaving you with a net gain.

Way to go on all that walking! I'm glad you feel better and your clothes feel looser.

Comment

Nellie, that's kind of what I was thinking too...that I'm gaining muscle mass but losing the fat more slowly maybe? Yesterday, Thomas was remarking that my shape was starting to change.

It's hard to be patient about things like weight, so I have to try and keep myself focused on the idea that I'm doing this for my health/breathing/stamina/endurance and not 'just' to lose weight.

It is really amazing to me how far I've come though. Even though I'm walking kind of around the same amount of time each day, the distance has gotten farther and farther. Thomas and I have been trying to walk near the hospital, along the Mississippi River a few nights a week together. We used to do one lap. Last night, we took a bathroom break after two by using his ID to get into the hospital , grabbed a drink from the dr's lounge and then did another lap. I felt like I could have even walked farther (but after I sat down in the car on the way home, I could barely limp into the house because my feet were so sore once they got some rest! )

So...clearly I need to focus on something besides my weight. It's just so hard because I have so much to lose. I don't know how to shift my focus.

Kris

Comment

Lily,

I actually did see a nutritionist once. The bottom line is that I need to choose more healthy foods and decrease the amount that I'm eating. That's the honest truth. I know what to do...it's just doing it when I feel stressed, deserving...whatever...

Ummmm...25??? Seriously, you are my new best friend.

Kris

Comment

I thought the same -- you don't look 38. Also, I love your curls.

Comment

Thank you, dahlings.....

Comment

So...my update....

I have been walking between 2-7 miles every day including weekends. I am just now finally noticing a difference in my weight. I'm down 12 pounds. I have so much to lose and some of this is still steroid weight so it is hard to be completely enthusiastic. Despite the 12 pounds, I'm still at an all-time weight high for myself. Still...it is progress!

I feel like I've made an actual change in my life. I love walking. I go every morning and every night and occasionally in the afternoon as well. It has been a great stress reliever for me. I can't believe that I have stuck with this so long and am gaining so much in terms of my stamina and enjoyment.

Kris

Comment

Way to go Kris!!! I am proud of you!

Comment

Sounds great!! Go Kris!!

Comment

Yay! I'm so happy for you. It's awesome when you find out you actually ENJOY something that's actually really good for you, isn't it? Keep up the inspiring work!!
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X