Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

summer is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer is coming

with the super hot temps breaking out around here this past week I feel like summer is right around the corner... but the baby chub is lingering. I can't complain too much but definitely not ready to put on the swimsuit quite yet.

I don't really like to set a weight loss goal. It only makes me obsessive about how much the scale reads instead of how I feel or how clothes fit etc.. so from now until july 4th I am going to exercise everyday and try to eat a little more healthy (read: no more baking cookies). long term goal is runing a half marathon in the fallish.

anyone else setting some goals and want to keep track of progress?
    Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
    ~~~~~
    SAHM to 3

I was going for the half marathon in November but my ass muscle rebelled. Apparently I have one of the sciatic nerves that goes through the muscle and not around it and at age 42.5, they've conspired against me.

We have a wedding in London in August and my husband is one of the bridal attendants (he's going to get a pink tie in honor of the occasion) so we're going to drop some lbs. in advance of that. (don't want to be the Fat Americans)

Jenn

Comment

My goals are not number oriented, but attitude oriented. I want to be happy with how I look in a bathing suit and not have the flabby thighs, "muffin top" or flabby arms. I'd like to start working out 3 times per week for May, and then up the ante during summer vaca...they say if you do something for 21 days it becomes a habit - and watching musicals on Netflix has become too much of a habit!

I'm willing to offer any support or prodding needed
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Right now, I feel like I do have to make numeric goals.

I am *gulp* weighing in weekly right now at my doctor's office. I just started on Monday.

I have food-goals...and they are to not eat out anymore...I have been eating waaaaay too much fast food (it has become my comfort food, actually and is very unhealthy)and then dh and I have been eating at TGIF every Monday (kids eat free)...plus...dh and I have been eating out once a week...sometimes more if he has a long lunch break. Many times, lunch is a club sandwich with fries, etc....waaaaay too many calories and too much fat.

My exercise goals are really right now to get to the YMCA and play basketball 3 times a week or so. Lame, I know. I'm trying the progress not perfection route.

I'm trying to just make some simple, healthier food choices and am not doing a big diet. I'm destined to lose weight this way, but it will take a looong time and...already, even though it is only Thursday, this week has felt very long. I know that sounds silly. Why do I miss food so much?

In any case, I hope that the additional component of going in each week to be weighed will help me when I feel like cheating.

We have Amanda's 13th birthday on Saturday and will be going out. I'm going to order the same thing that I always do but have them put 1/2 of it in a to-go-box before they even bring it out so it isn't sitting in front of me. Then I can eat the other half the next day for dinner.

Kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm sloooowly training to run a half marathon this Fall. Right now I'm focusing on jogging at least 30 mins six times a week. I've made some progress, but I still have to force myself to do it. I keep hoping that daily exercise will be something I look forward to (nope, not yet).

I really hadn't planned on setting a weight goal ... until I weighed myself. I'm mourning the days where I could eat whatever I wanted. Screw you aging body, screw you.

Comment

I am going to try my absolute hardest to be kind to myself and my post baby bod. I'm pretty vain, so this will be a very difficult endeavor for me. Still, I'd like to be as kind to myself as I would be to a dear friend. At 35 weeks, I'm up 29 pounds which means I'll have ten to fifteen to loose. This is a lot on a 5'2" frame.

This is my last baby and my kids will be off for summer break. I don't want to be all freaky: "Mommy has got to go off for a two hour run...Meet your sitter." Nope, that is not going to happen.

The hard body can happen this fall when the older two are in school.

I bought a Land's end tankini and swim skirt in a larger size and have been picking up some long shorts in larger sizes. The kids and I are going to enjoy summer and try to live outside as much as possible. I'm going to try to establish a good BF relationship and see where it goes.

This fall, watch out.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

weekly update

So it's been a week of eating well, er better, and exercising more. The eating part would be much easier if I didn't have a picky toddler who enjoys mac n cheese along with other kiddo specialties that are not so good for the waistline. Along with food chioces I am trying to drink more water and eat slower and avoiding shoveling food in my mouth at mealtime. And no more snacking while they nap, big no no.

Excersie is coming along great. The weather is not really cooperating so I have been hitting the on demand tv workouts during naptime which prevents the snacking too. I really want to be running but find it's too early for me to get up at 4ish and I am way to tired by the time the kids go to bed and DH is home. 2 more months and the baby can be in the jogger and I can get a good run outside during the day... for now I have to enjoy the walks.
              ~~~~~
              SAHM to 3

Comment

Erinna, it sounds like you’re well on your way! Great job!

I’ve been doing well the past couple of weeks with mixed results. The good news is that my exercise regimen is beginning to feel more like a habit and I can tell that I’m getting in better shape. The bad news is that I weighed myself this morning and … I’ve gained two pounds. That scale is toast – I can’t handle that kind of discouragement.

Comment

Bittersweet... don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat! Keep up the great work!
                  ~~~~~
                  SAHM to 3

Comment

Well, I had my second weigh-in at the dr's office on Monday and lost another 3.8 pounds, for a grand total of 7.... I'm trying to get myself to feel good about the weight loss, but I'm actually still 2 pounds heavier than I was when I started a diet program 6 months ago AND am still 20 pounds heavier than I was right after Zoe was born....and...umm....I was somehow able to lose 20 pounds after that running from radiation to the NICU.

I keep telling myself that I am moving in the right direction, but it is hard work and there is that critical little voice in my head that won't be happy until I am at the weight that I was when all of my treatments were finished (which, btw...was a high weight for me.) I feel this psychological need to get the slate clean...and it will take time for me to get down to that weight again...and then after that, I still need to lose weight.

I feel impatient, I guess.

But...7 pounds is 7 pounds. My bras are finally not cutting into my back anymore and there is downward movement.

I just really hope that I can keep it up.

I'm walking 3 miles/day along with the eating changes.

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Kris
                      I'm banking on it!!

7lbs is nothing to scoff at - you're doing great!

Comment

Kris - celebrate every victory, every pound, every time you make a good choice (and reach for an apple instead of a candy bar).

It is our natural tendency to turn all the positives of weight loss (like lost 2 pounds) into something negative (like "well this is the second or third time I am losing those two pounds"). This thought process sabotages our weight loss - so make a conscious effort to pat yourself on the back so that you replace the positive thoughts for negative thoughts.

No one is perfect and I am learning in my weight loss that the best most important thing is not to beat myself up when I get off track - instead I focus on getting back on track the next meal, each day is new and each week is new!

Okay sorry for the long post but you really need to give yourself more credit for your seven pound weight loss - that's GREAT!
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I feel really good about the fact that Monday will be my third weekly weigh-in. Have I really been doing this for 3 weeks already? I'm about to hit my first goal, which sadly is the weight that I was at before I started dieting 6 months ago...but it is weight gone. Yeah! Also, I'm close to a 10 pound weight loss goal...that is another thing to celebrate! I feel good that I am walking 3-5 miles/day and am making really good food choices...better than I have in a very, very long time...consistently....I feel really good about that!!!

If I can stay motivated and keep going, I WILL lose this weight.

I am walking daily with a friend now and she and I really push each other to do "1 more mile" etc.

We can do it!!!

Kris
                          Last edited by PrincessFiona; 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Go everybody! Keep up the awesome-ness!
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I fell off the bandwagon last week as DH was on vacation (lots of BBQ and beer) but this week have started off on the right foot. Our pedi said it was fine to use the jogging stroller with the baby and we headed out yesterday, and both kids were great! We went out for about 20 minutes and not a peep from either of them, just soaking up the scenery. I can actually exercise during day light hours. woo hoo!

now I have no excuse, except laziness.

how is everyone else holding up?
                              ~~~~~
                              SAHM to 3

Comment

Working...
                              X