Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Triathletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triathletes

Hello! I was just wondering if there were any Triathletes or those interested in them! I am training for my first Olympic distance Tri, and I'm about 1.5 weeks into my 8 week training plan. Would love to connect with anyone with similar interest! I also love running, but have never done a marathon ....yet

Wow. Impressive! I am not an athlete at all. My sister is the one currently training for the Woman's Nike Marathon. Are you training with a group, trainer, or on your own?
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Jane, thanks! I'm training on my own, which can be challenging. But I have a great guide book, that I would suggest for anyone interested in trying one out. You don't need to be super athlete to do them, and they can be great for health and fitness as well as building more confidence. I have only done one, 5 years ago, and it was Sprint distance. But I would like to get back into doing them more. I do have a race in 2 months, so I'm pretty excited about. Plus it helps give me something that I LIKE TO DO, and where I'm not focusing entirely on my NS; and it's a great way to get/stay/improve your shape and health. Training is great for me, because I'm up already with my NS to help him out the door in the morning, so instead of relaxing over a cup of tea, I head to the gym, pool, or out for a morning bike ride. It really helps me feel great in the morning when I head to work, and helps me work out some stress or insecurities or frustrations I may be having because of how busy he his and having to deal with all the stressors that come with that.

Now if you don't have time for 3 sports, picking one can be great. Swimming is always a safe bet, because it's gentle on your knees and joints, but works your whole body! Plus if you have kids, it's a fun place to have a family activity if you have no one to watch them when you head out for a work out. I use the YMCA, which is usually a great resource in most communities. I would love to do some races this year, are there any runners who might be thinking of a big race coming up?

What activities do you guys do to help keep fit and healthy? I know many have lots of challenges with families, but I would love to hear what you guys are up to!

Comment

I ran my fourth marathon this spring [Chicago, Elyria, Baltimore, Boston] and I usually do a couple of sprint triathlons each summer plus a half marathon or two - yeah, you could say I've got the bug....I think I need a 12 step program.

I completely agree with you, it's a great way to invest in yourself even if you can't see the doctor.

I'm so impressed that you're training for an Olympic! I hate bike riding, in fact I have been on my bike once this year...in a sprint tri. I didn't even ride it in the parking lot beforehand. I only put up with it because you have to do it to compete. I'm an ok swimmer and obviously running is my thing. I'm not fast but I love competing against myself and trying to improve each time.

Which of the 3 disciplines is your best event? Have you done any really cool races?
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

WOW! Thats sooo great! I have always wanted to do the Chicago Rock and Roll marathon, just never got around to it. The longest distance I have completed in a race was the Army 10 miler. I did just the one sprint triathlon, which I thought was more my speed per say. But I really wanted to do this Tri in September, and it was an Olympic and I said to myself, "Man up." So I had been running and swimming about 5 days a week for the past 4 weeks, and figured I would just start the training plan. If I survived the first week I would sign up. I survived lol.

I am like you the Bike is my Nemesis! 5 years ago when I did my first and only TRI, I did all my training on the stationary bike, and got my bike 2 weeks before the event. Needless to say I have no clue how to ride a Road Bike, and couldn't balance myself to drink water during the race. Then the bike went away in storage, and came out last year, only to have a few rides, then back away again. I live and the City and walk to work daily, which is nice, but I thought wouldn't it be nicer to ride my bike to work? saves times. So I pulled it back out 2 weeks ago, and have been riding it all over. I think it helps me get more comfortable using it so much. Plus I don't let myself use the excuse "I don't have time to take my bike out to do my workout, I'll just go to the gym." If there is a bike workout, I do it. And now the more I do it, the more I love it. Getting used to the Saddle and sorebutt lol is taking some getting use to, but I'm starting to love riding my bike to the pool, to work, etc. For me, it was the only way for me to get past my hate of the Bike and the Bike leg, has been just to get out there an start using my bike.

So i'm guessing you only are doing the 2 events in the tri? Believe me I have wanted to do the same. I am excited about the Olympic distance. Just training for it, versus the Sprint has been quite different. I use the "Woman Triathlete" which to me is the greatest training guide I have come across. I find the workouts challenging, each and everyone of them, and the fact its 6 days of training and 1 day of recovering or active recovery (which I go do a yoga class that kicks my butt), is tiring and makes me work to keep myself engaged. I def feel more tired then I did before, and the training sessions are much longer. 2.5 hr bike rides and 9.3 mile runs on the weekends. And since my NSG is usually in the hospital rounding at those times in the morning, I just have myself to motivate me to go. So I def agree with that it's something good to do for yourself: and it's a positive activity that beneficial to the relationship. Fitness, some me time, focus, etc.

Big races I have coming up:

Nation's Tri Sept
          Army 10 miler: I captain 2 teams

I would love to do a marathon or half. What races do you have this year? How is your training for the sprint? Do you do all year round since you do so many, or just rev up before the event? How's your DH like your athletic desires? And what's in Africa? Vacation? Family?

Comment

Yay!

I've done 4 sprint tris--DH pushed me to a few years ago in college and I got hooked. I try to do one in the fall and one in the spring. I'm ADD when it comes to sports, so triathons are perfect for me--I get bored otherwise. I swam in high school so the swimming thing is a snap, I go riding with DH every once in awhile (it's been more on the "awhile" side lately), and the 5K is honestly rough on me, but I get through it.

I'm impressed at the Olympic Distance--I refuse to do more than a sprint because I don't do open water swims (nasty! At least to me) and I don't want to run more than a 5K.

I'm glad there is someone else interested on here--I was about to sign up for one in Sept. and one in Oct. a few days ago, but the $$ issue is making me hesitate. These things aren't cheap! They really are a good time, though.

I should probably get on that whole training thing...I have in the past, but I'm guilty of doing one cold turkey. Wasn't that bad, but I was really really slow.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
              So i'm guessing you only are doing the 2 events in the tri? Believe me I have wanted to do the same. I am excited about the Olympic distance. Just training for it, versus the Sprint has been quite different. I use the "Woman Triathlete" which to me is the greatest training guide I have come across. I find the workouts challenging, each and everyone of them, and the fact its 6 days of training and 1 day of recovering or active recovery (which I go do a yoga class that kicks my butt), is tiring and makes me work to keep myself engaged. I def feel more tired then I did before, and the training sessions are much longer. 2.5 hr bike rides and 9.3 mile runs on the weekends. And since my NSG is usually in the hospital rounding at those times in the morning, I just have myself to motivate me to go. So I def agree with that it's something good to do for yourself: and it's a positive activity that beneficial to the relationship. Fitness, some me time, focus, etc.

I would love to do a marathon or half. What races do you have this year? How is your training for the sprint? Do you do all year round since you do so many, or just rev up before the event? How's your DH like your athletic desires? And what's in Africa? Vacation? Family?
              No, I do the full triathlon. I figure that doing the whole thing is important. Plus, if I were going to do it as a team, I'd only run since I'm not that fast a swimmer and usually being on a team means everyone is really good. If I ever decide to do an Olympic I'll look into that training program, I should probably use my bike in general more like you suggested. One question: do you use road bike shoes? Then what do you do when you get where you're going?

I know what you mean about making yourself tired with training. On the longest weeks for marathon training it's all you can do to keep your eyes open! You need a lot of sleep to recover but I find that it's great to do something that takes so much time. When he rounds in the AM, I'm off running and usually by the time I'm showered, he's home [he's only MS3].

I did Boston in April, a sprint tri 2 weeks ago, and we're doing the Nairobi Half Marathon in October. I don't train for sprints [I know, I know...that's why I'm bad at bike!]. I run year round, especially this year with a spring marathon and usually keep a base mileage of 20-25 miles per week including a long run on Saturdays of 8-11 miles. This is a good base for me to rev up to events and then for marathons I'll taper. I don't usually taper for half marathons but I might be able to shave some time if I did...I just hate tapering so I don't do it. You'll get an awesome taper for the Olympic, your muscles will be twitching to go on the morning of your race!

DH has run all but 3 of the marathons with me and he will usually do some of the sprint triathlons as well. He's an incredible biker [i.e. he placed 3rd overall in the bike in the last tri] so it's not very motivating to ride with him [Sooner - I think you have this problem too. It's not fun to ride with them if they leave you in the dust!]. He's getting pretty busy though so he's probably off long races for a while after Africa. Africa is a year abroad, DH is doing research and I'm volunteering. It's a bucket list thing and he'll finish up 4th year when we return.

Sooner - I feel you on the price. Around here they average $50-$80 for tris and $80-$110 for marathons...it's not cheap!

Pebbles - I ran Chicago during the heat wave in 2007. It hit 95 degrees and they canceled after 3.5 hours...I made it to mile 21 [staggered start, I was about 35 minutes behind gun time] before they made us walk. I still count that as a finish...they clocked us at 5 hours or something ridiculous. After they canceled we danced in the fire hydrants, stopped for food, and I sat on a curb and cried for a while. That was $110 for a cotton t-shirt and I vowed never to do a big city marathon again. I made an exception for Boston but I prefer capped fields of 15k people maximum. I don't ever need to run with 35k people again. It's insanity, especially if you're a middle or back of the pack runner, by the time you reach a water station you're skating on cups. It was awful which is sad because the people of Chicago were some of the best fans ever [although they don't have Boston beat].
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Soooo incredibly impressed. Really. This is my dream. When I turn 40 in a couple of years and my youngest is in preschool, I'm going to "tri".

For now, I'll just remember how out of shape I felt watching the Ironman time trials in Kona.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

A sprint tri is a good place to start--there are TONS of people just like you. Most of those tris are geared towards them, and there is often a training program you can sign up for (and pay for) to help you get ready. And on race day, you get so much support!
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                    A sprint tri is a good place to start--there are TONS of people just like you.
                    Is this aimed at Kelly? People just like her, as in, with multiple marathons under their belts?

I started becoming a bit of a gymrat in 2004, started riding my bike regularly by the middle of that year. I raced bikes in 2005, but then I got hit by a car and never fully came back. I trained for the Phoenix Rock n Roll Marathon 2008, but downgraded to the half at the last minute after my training schedule fell apart. Currently I'm pretty happy with the amount of exercise I get just hiking with the family (wearing the 24 pound baby), walking around town (wearing the 24 pound baby or pulling around a wagon with 60 pounds of kids plus paraphernalia), and chasing kids/walking up and down stairs tidying up. I did just join a gym for the first time in years, but my kid won't tolerate the childcare, so I'm currently only going once a week or sometimes even less, whenever DH can watch her. When I go, I try to do some moderate-intensity whole-body strength training and some moderate-intensity intervals on the elliptical. It ain't much but it's something.
                    Alison

Comment

The hardest thing about a Tri is that you can't just jump into it like you can a running race. The bike requirement significantly increases the investment before you even do a race. With running shoes there isn't a huge performance difference but in Tris I often get passed on my bottom of the line road bike with it's tiny wheels [I'm really short] by people with Tri bikes and Aero bars. And I'm passing folks who are doing it on mountain bikes.

It's just a weird aggravation to me that you can buy yourself into a better finish in the bike portion.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post

For now, I'll just remember how out of shape I felt watching the Ironman time trials in Kona.
                        Kelly lol, this made me laugh. I watch those and I feel like my workouts are nothing compared to the Ironman. lol One day I will do an Ironman, but I want to be smart about it, and work my way up to it. It's just an accomplishment finishing one, but I would like to finish it without the help of the EMS! So you do marathons?? Oh I really want to do one, just haven't sucked it up and trained for one. Which one would you recommend for 1st timers

As for the comment on Sprint Tri: I did only one about 5 years ago, and the training plan was really decent to follow, and I found the race enjoyable. I would probably have done another Sprint distance because I think it's good to get a base of performance, but this Tri was coming up and I didn't want to miss it; regardless that it is an Olympic Distance. I felt like I was in "ok" shape before I started my training plan: because I have always been able to run, and could swim "ok ok" and the bike...well see my earlier post about my nemesis lol: but the difference in Sprint to Olympic for me training wise, has been significant. There is much more time commitment in just the length of a daily workout. You have to have between 1 - 2 hours available during the week, and 2:30 - 3 hours on the weekends for the long endurance bike and run. Which i wiggle in the mornings, since I am up with my NSG every morning to see him out the door, I just then see myself out the door to my workout lol. I was never really a morning person, even after 12 years in the Army, but living with him, has made me a morning person lol. So I think it's very doable Olympic Distance, you just have to be prepared for the time commitment and knowing you will being feeling pretty tired from that point out, because the training plans tend to more vigorous and obviously have more distance to cover. I'm midway into my 2 week, and I'm starting to feel tired, but good.

I think it would really cool (although I am new and just getting to know everyone) if maybe all the IMSN ladies who wanted/could do a running race together. I think that would be pretty cool! Mind you it would take some logistics, but I don't know: what do you ladies think?

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                          The hardest thing about a Tri is that you can't just jump into it like you can a running race. The bike requirement significantly increases the investment before you even do a race. With running shoes there isn't a huge performance difference but in Tris I often get passed on my bottom of the line road bike with it's tiny wheels [I'm really short] by people with Tri bikes and Aero bars. And I'm passing folks who are doing it on mountain bikes.

It's just a weird aggravation to me that you can buy yourself into a better finish in the bike portion.
                          Yeah, I can see where that'd be frustrating. But I'm sure everyone has their stumbling block among the disciplines. For me it'd be the swim. I could jump in with my Mom-style full-coverage swimsuit and splash my way through the distance. And doing that, I could work on my own times and improve and be happy with that. But to have a chance at competing against others' times I'd have to buy a suit (or a wetsuit for some races around here), I'd have to pay for swimming lessons since my best form looks something like a cross between a doggy paddle and a death flail. I could probably buy my way into a better placement that way too, you know?

Ug, y'all are getting me all inspired. I dunno, I suck SO BAD at swimming, I doubt I'll ever be a triathlete. But maybe I should do Couch to 5K and see if I can recover that "runner's high" feeling I got while training for my marathon. Need to figure out how to strengthen my pelvic floor though while I'm at it.

Speaking of just jumping into running, isn't that supposed to be sort of the theme of the "Born to Run" book that I've been hearing so much about? Anyone read it?
                          Alison

Comment

You people are crazy. Unfortunately, the only thought I have about running right now is, "Why would anyone ever want to run unless they were being chased by a bear?"

I think your heart only gets so many beats in this lifetime. Why waste them on exercise? That's my story, and I am sticking to it. I wonder what's on the Food Network?
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                              You people are crazy. Unfortunately, the only thought I have about running right now is, "Why would anyone ever want to run unless they were being chased by a bear?"

I think your heart only gets so many beats in this lifetime. Why waste them on exercise? That's my story, and I am sticking to it. I wonder what's on the Food Network?
                              LMAO! Oh the love of food! mmmmmmmmm

Alison: no but now I want to go look it up on amazon ! I have to say, swimming is such a great way to get in shape and tone the body. It's great with no pressure on the joints, and you are constantly working your whole body. Plus I'm sure your "mamakini" is hot! Which marathon did you do? Thats a great accomplishment, I still have yet to man up and train for one.

Comment

Working...
                              X