Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Has anyone tried the minimalist shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
    DD - are you still wearing the minimalist shoes? How are your neuromas doing in them? Were the neuromas bothering you when you started wearing the shoes?

I had neuromas in both of my feet about 6 years ago, and (lucky me) it's back in one foot. I've done PT and had injections (yep, I know I probably shouldn't have, but I just wanted it to go away). Anyway - it's still bothering me after about 4 months. I went to the running store over the weekend and the guy told me I shouldn't try minimalist shoes until I am injury free. I'm kind of annoyed, and so sick of having foot pain. Anyway, was just wondering if you - or anyone else - started wearing the minimalist shoes while dealing with an injury. (I was just planning to wear them around the house, maybe grocery store etc - not run in them).
    Yup, still wearing them for all my work-outs and almost every day just out and about. I have had ZERO problems since switching and I always had daily soreness. I couldn't even go grocery shopping without hobbling home. I've since discovered that the super poofy shoes were causing me to change my gait, made me feel unstable and weak while also making me more likely to roll my ankles. I have to be very aware of my technique when weightlifting and doing CrossFit in my minimalist shoes, but I am far more stable and flexible. I also make sure to stretch my ankles well before working out. I have so much scar tissue from previous breaks that they weren't very flexible and that created a weird lateral weakness.

I think one of my biggest issues with most shoes is the lack of flexibility in the toe box or the inability for my feet to have a natural motion. Shoes that are flexible (like my minimalists) are fine. Ones that aren't (like my Doc Martens) fucking kill me.

I'll likely never be a runner, but I can CrossFit like a mofo just fine now. My feet haven't hurt ONCE since I switched to the minimalist shoes, and I haven't had a work-out in the 20 years before where I could say that.

Comment

Interesting. Maybe I should just get a pair. I've spent a ton of cash on this foot problem over the years- so it realistically doesn't matter if I end up not being able to use them. My feet could be too flat... maybe that was his concern, but since I'm not going to try to wear them for running - or even grp fitness classes for a while - maybe they will help.

So frustrating!!!!

Comment

BTW - I did a few CrossFit workouts before buying the minimalist shoes. I noticed a huge difference from that first new shoes workout, so it isn't just a difference between CrossFit and other types of working out.

Comment

I'll pick up a pair on Saturday - going to one of those running store form clinics. Which should be interesting since I'm really not walking so well this week!

I would totally think about a minimalist shoe for grp fitness - most of the people in my non-barefoot classes are wearing them. But in my current state I think I may need to work up to that... It would be awesome if this neuroma pain would chill out a bit.

Comment

It would be awesome if this neuroma pain would chill out a bit.
            A-fucking-men. I'm not a pussy when it comes to pain, but those mofos have brought me to my knees more than once.

Look into the New Balance Minimus. They're spendy at most stores, but have a little arch support built into their construction that allows for natural foot movement. I got mine on a great sale at Big 5. I think they were $50 and they're usually something like $80-$90 everywhere else I was checking online.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
              Look into the New Balance Minimus. They're spendy at most stores, but have a little arch support built into their construction that allows for natural foot movement.
              Ohhhhh awesome. I had no idea you could get a minimalist shoe with some arch support, that sounds perfect.

Comment

...and although New Balance doesn't work for my running shoe needs, I absolutely LOVE their commitment to manufacturing a significant percentage of their shoes in the USA.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                  ...and although New Balance doesn't work for my running shoe needs, I absolutely LOVE their commitment to manufacturing a significant percentage of their shoes in the USA.
                  I was just reading about this today in the WSJ! I thought the timing was funny considering how much I've been thinking about NBs the last few days.

Comment

So I am currently wearing a pair of Brooks pure cadences. They apparently have a lot of support for a minimalist shoe - and so far I am loving every step. They feel SO much better they do in than super cushioned shoes. And they are not bothering my neuroma! Hopefully things stay this way. Too bad the minimalist thing wasn't around 6 years ago - maybe I could have avoided relying so much on those orthotics that I think essentially made things worse.

I also went to a "good form" clinic today, so I know that I heel strike... Which apparently is no good in a minimalist shoe. So def going to spend some time trying to correct that before I attempt running in these, but I think eventually minimalist running could be the answer for me.

Thanks for posting this thread. With my history I likely never would have thought to go in this direction.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! How's the knee rehab coming along?
                      It's coming, thanks! I'm being a giant baby about squats and lunges though. I need to just bite the bullet and work hard, because the only thing holding me back now is weakness.

For running in minimalist shoes, you have to start veeeeery slooooooowly. Altering your gait feels weird, but at the same time wearing those shoes makes it come naturally, if that makes any sense. I found I did much better when I didn't focus on it. There are lots of videos online that can show you proper form. I would also encourage you to try actual barefoot running sometime. It feels *amazing*. And I'm still an out-of-shape fatass.

Comment

Working...
                      X