Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Detox cleanse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll clarify. My thoughts on it are this:

1) If you feel you benefit from a gluten-free diet, it is possible you have a medically diagnosible intolerance or celiac disease. It is hugely underdiagnosed, and way more people have it than think they do.
    2) If you go gluten-free without a test, it is possible that you will get a false negative on a future test. I believe that when people do a diet change without a diagnosis they tend to take it less seriously, as it is not a medically prescribed diet. But gluten intolerance is something to be taken very seriously -- I'm at higher risk for lymphoma, osteoporosis, thyroid issues, and other inflammation and malabsorption-related issues unless I follow a very strict diet.
    3) A gluten-free diet can be very emotionally trying -- realizing you're at a work function where you can't eat anything, never eating at someone else's wedding again, realizing you forgot to bring your own snacks on a plane, etc... I just wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that unless there's a reason!
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I haven't really researched celiac and such. I only read labels when I made cookies for Thirteen one year. I highly doubt I have anything diagnosable. I was going to try it to see if I felt better like all the hype. I have always had a "sensitive stomach" according to my mom and over the years I've just gotten used to dealing with my random gut issues. Now with all the gluten-free hype I'm tempted to try it and see if I like it.

I know if I do it, I'll only end up eating fresh fruit and veggies and meats and nothing else. Which isn't a bad thing either just would make long term difficult if it actually works.

I see what you are saying about diagnosis though. Is there a good checklist or anything that could help me decide to go see a doc before trying it on my own?
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
        I haven't really researched celiac and such. I only read labels when I made cookies for Thirteen one year. I highly doubt I have anything diagnosable. I was going to try it to see if I felt better like all the hype. I have always had a "sensitive stomach" according to my mom and over the years I've just gotten used to dealing with my random gut issues. Now with all the gluten-free hype I'm tempted to try it and see if I like it.

I know if I do it, I'll only end up eating fresh fruit and veggies and meats and nothing else. Which isn't a bad thing either just would make long term difficult if it actually works.

I see what you are saying about diagnosis though. Is there a good checklist or anything that could help me decide to go see a doc before trying it on my own?
        Here's an interesting recent article that basically frames the issue: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...eed-it-or-not/
        I'm not saying you would have to have celiac to benefit from a GF diet -- many people test positive for the gliadin antibodies without having enteropathy. It's a hairy subject. I'm probably oversensitive to the "fad" nature of the gluten free diet because it means that waiters/cooks/hosts think that it's a fad and a lifestyle choice rather than a medically prescribed diet for me. I'll back off. All I really want to say is don't jump into it uninformed.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
          All I really want to say is don't jump into it uninformed.
          You mean like exactly what I'm doing??? :big grin: I'll read the article. If I'm honest with myself, dairy is more likely the culprit, but I can't bear to think of a life without cheese! And fake cheese is NO WHERE CLOSE as a substitute.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
            You mean like exactly what I'm doing??? :big grin: I'll read the article. If I'm honest with myself, dairy is more likely the culprit, but I can't bear to think of a life without cheese! And fake cheese is NO WHERE CLOSE as a substitute.
            Ugh, I have ongoing inflammation issues too, and I think it's dairy related but I'm a dairy addict. Ideally I would do a full elimination diet to pinpoint my sensitivities above and beyond gluten, but I so resent the restrictiveness of my diet already that I can't bring myself to do it. Especially not in the middle of winter when I'm craving comfort food.

Comment

I was careful about gluten for 2 days and noticed a change. It was more pronounced when I added back pudding/graham crackers and pizza and king cake. I wonder if it might be related to sugar as well....but even those two days that I avoided major sources of gluten, I ate milk chocolate chips.

I'm going to an allergist tomorrow. And if he won't test me, I'm still going to give up gluten for "Lent". (I'm not a practicing Catholic).
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
              X