Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Milk, Cows Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My family goes through 6 gallons of milk every week.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      My family goes through 6 gallons of milk every week.
      Whoa.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

We usually go through 4-5 gallons a week. DH has always had a large glass at dinner and the kids drink quite a bit. I have it on cereal or if I'm eating something like chocolate or cookies. I do seem to drink more when I'm pregnant. My 8 year old neighbor who is allergic to milk was shocked when she opened our fridge right after I had gone to the store. She didn't understand why we would have so much milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by civilspouse View Post
          We usually go through 4-5 gallons a week. DH has always had a large glass at dinner and the kids drink quite a bit. I have it on cereal or if I'm eating something like chocolate or cookies. I do seem to drink more when I'm pregnant. My 8 year old neighbor who is allergic to milk was shocked when she opened our fridge right after I had gone to the store. She didn't understand why we would have so much milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yeah, people have that reaction to my fridge too. And the quantity of fruit. I don't mind. Growing up, people reacted that way to the quantity of soda in our house.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

So, I've been in a family practice clinic for the past month. My preceptor did her residency research on vitamin D. She finds an insurance covered reason and tests EVERYONE for it. We live in Florida (the sunshine state). Normal lab values are between 30-100 with 50 being fantastic. Everyone we test in at least insufficient (20-30), and a lot are deficient (<20).

People aren't in the sun anymore. I know my own Vitamin D was 21 at last check. Further, my parathyroid hormone is high and my alkaline phosphatase is high. I don't have enough calcium and the calcium I do have doesn't have enough vitamin D to use it appropriately, and I noticed I wasn't drinking as much milk as I should have been. I've upped that. I wish I could spend more time in the sun too to get that vitamin D.

As it is because I'm insufficient, I'm also supplementing. It's hard to remember though.

Milk is hugely important in our diets.

Other sources of vitamin D are fortified foods, cheese, tuna, salmon, mackerel, egg yolks, beef liver.

I don't think most people eat those regularly. Normal people need 600 IUs a day. Being insufficient, I need to make up my D, and need about 4,000 a day right now.

I know milk gets a bad rap in some circles, but it's a really great food! Yay milk.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
              So, I've been in a family practice clinic for the past month. My preceptor did her residency research on vitamin D. She finds an insurance covered reason and tests EVERYONE for it. We live in Florida (the sunshine state). Normal lab values are between 30-100 with 50 being fantastic. Everyone we test in at least insufficient (20-30), and a lot are deficient (<20).

People aren't in the sun anymore. I know my own Vitamin D was 21 at last check. Further, my parathyroid hormone is high and my alkaline phosphatase is high. I don't have enough calcium and the calcium I do have doesn't have enough vitamin D to use it appropriately, and I noticed I wasn't drinking as much milk as I should have been. I've upped that. I wish I could spend more time in the sun too to get that vitamin D.

As it is because I'm insufficient, I'm also supplementing. It's hard to remember though.

Milk is hugely important in our diets.

Other sources of vitamin D are fortified foods, cheese, tuna, salmon, mackerel, egg yolks, beef liver.

I don't think most people eat those regularly. Normal people need 600 IUs a day. Being insufficient, I need to make up my D, and need about 4,000 a day right now.

I know milk gets a bad rap in some circles, but it's a really great food! Yay milk.
              Yup. I was severely vitamin D deficient.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X