Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Foam Roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Roller

I'm wondering if anyone has used the foam roller for rolling muscles after runs. Do I have the name right? Has anyone used it? I find that my muscles get sore. Not necessarily injury pain, but just sore. It seems like rolling pressure would help then. Does anyone have experience?
    token iMSN "not a medical spouse"

I have one and like it it when I was doing a lot of running. It helps. Didn't really need it for short/normal stuff though
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I have one too (or I did before my children took it and hid it). I mostly use to keep my IT band loose if I’m doing higher mileage but nothing stopping you from using more.

For general soreness, I’d say do a little bit of cooling down by walking around rather than immediately sitting down if that’s what your doing. Helps to wash down lactic acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I don' have one. I have a stick that does something similar though.

Also try compression tights and socks post run. That helps.

Maybe attend a "good form" clinic where they can look at your stride and see if you are doing anything wonky that might exacerbate injuries.

Hope that helps.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I have one too (or I did before my children took it and hid it). I mostly use to keep my IT band loose if I’m doing higher mileage but nothing stopping you from using more.
          Ugh...it's a favorite "toy" here too. Probably because it looks like a giant weapon.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
            Ugh...it's a favorite "toy" here too. Probably because it looks like a giant weapon.
            Us too! I actually never use them anymore. But have 4. They use them as weapons or as props for their “sites” (there is a lot of construction in our neighborhood, so love making “work sites” - I’m so over it!!).

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
              Us too! I actually never use them anymore. But have 4. They use them as weapons or as props for their “sites” (there is a lot of construction in our neighborhood, so love making “work sites” - I’m so over it!!). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Don’t have a roller but considering one.

I’m right there w/you on construction. There are 4 properties on 1 street (3 adjacent) that are under construction!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                I have one and like it it when I was doing a lot of running. It helps. Didn't really need it for short/normal stuff though
                When do you use it? Right after the run?

Comment

Yes, during post run stretching. But also during down time in front of the TV at night.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I use one, as well as myofascial balls and a yoga block, depending on the area and sensitivity. I don't run but I CrossFit and lift. In warming up squats and deadlifts I often roll my lower back with the ball just standing against the wall. Otherwise I use them when I'm sore and tight. I also take many Epsom Salt baths.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                      Otherwise I use them when I'm sore and tight. I also take many Epsom Salt baths.
                      I have a crazy question about Epsom Salts baths. I have taken them too for sore muscles. But, is it bad for your hair? I have hair down to my waist that I don't want to damage. I had been piling my hair on my head when taking an Epsom Salt bath. But, then one time I wanted to shampoo my hair, but I decided not to because I wasn't sure. Are Epsom Salts bad for hair?
                      Last edited by Bluejay; 03-07-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Actually I have no idea. I have very short hair! If you're worried maybe put it in a bun or shower cap? I either use lavender infused salts or put in some oil for smell.

Originally posted by Bluejay View Post
                        I have a crazy question about Epsom Salts baths. I have taken them too for sore muscles. But, is it bad for your hair? I have hair down to my waist that I don't want to damage. I had been piling my hair on my head when taking an Epsom Salt bath. But, then one time I wanted to shampoo my hair, but I decided not to because I wasn't sure. Are Epsom Salts bad for hair?

Comment

I don’t think you should wash your hair in a epsom salt bath. I doubt it’s really bad for it, but would probably feel kind of gross after.... kind of like you needed to wash it. (I’m not sure, I’m just thinking about swimming in the ocean or saltwater pool. I always wash my hair after).

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                            I don’t think you should wash your hair in a epsom salt bath. I doubt it’s really bad for it, but would probably feel kind of gross after.... kind of like you needed to wash it.
                            Yes that makes sense. You would get lots of salts in your hair, and change the texture to be more coarse. I'll continue keeping my hair out of the Epsom bath.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                              I also take many Epsom Salt baths.
                              Question: how much Epsom Salts do you use in a bath? My container says to use 2 cups for a bath. But that seems like alot. How much do you actually use?

Comment

Working...
                              X