Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Marathoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, DH thinks that we can stroller the boy for the whole marathon. He'll be 15 months.

The P. F. Chang Rock 'N' Roll Marathon is right here in Phoenix.
    Alison

Comment

Well that's very good to know, I'll have to push for a move toward family during residency or get a babysitting coop or something because BF got to see me when I couldn't run because of injury for 4 months....it was NOT pretty.

Good luck with PF Chang! Phoenix is so beautiful, we visited BF's sister who is in Tempe a few weeks ago and went to Sedona - I loved it though the Southeast will always be my first love.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Yeah, DH thinks that we can stroller the boy for the whole marathon. He'll be 15 months.
        Just keep Suzanne on speed dial so she can meet you at whichever mile marker you decide to forgo pushing Eddy in the stroller!

I can tell you that even when I did mine (and I walked, remember) I can't fathom having to push a stroller at the same time. By mile 20 even the tiniest hills were annoying.

Jenn

Comment

Those websites put me into a tailspin after a while. They're awsome and so informative but I always have to back my way out of them and remind myself that I'm just a beginner and will probably never get to those levels. I don't think I even want to get that intense about the sport, although I totally admire the people who can run 20 miles straight, holy crap. That's pretty frickin' cool.

But back to my reality...

After 4 weeks of training ( :stars: ) I've worked my way up to 5'ish miles in about an hour. Not glamorous I know, but honest. More importantly, I am starting to fall in love with this running thing. My goal is to run 3 miles a day - run 3 miles a day, at least 4 days a week - for the rest of my life.

The training program I'm using claims a 30 minute 5K run is do-able with 6 weeks of training. So far I've been able to follow it, we'll see what the next 2 weeks bring (especially with 5 days of vacation coming up)... Wish me luck!

But since I'm only running 15-minute segments at the most now, I don't know how this program plans on doubling that within the next two weeks... This is going to get painful, isn't it?!

Comment

Jodi -

That's so awesome about your training plan! Actually I don't think it will get more painful, you're building up a base and you'd be surprised what you can do once you get a base going. It definitely doesn't matter how fast or slow you run, it's just about the mileage which is extremely comforting on days you have to run slow because you're tired/hungry/grumpy, etc.

I always motivate myself by saying, "you have never regretted going to the gym or on a run but you've regretted NOT doing it many times."

Oh, and Runners World has a beginners section too with helpful tips - I usually start there. And they also have a hilarious blog written by 2 moms who are running a marathon, definitely check that out!

Elisabeth
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Heh, the jogger in theory and the jogger in reality....

I found it wasn't my pushing the jogger that was a limiting factor. It was the kids wanting OUT after 15 minutes. So, I'd say that if jogging with a kid(s) is in the plan, go for Benadryl unless you know they really like being in for a while.

This looks like a good deal for Orlando...
              http://www.escape2orlando.org/

Not that I'm looking for vacation spots or anything.

I'll cheer you all on!!

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

How do all of you with children find the time to train for marathons? I'm trying to train for the half-marathon in Philly in September and am having a hard time getting any long runs in. I don't know how I'll ever be ready!

Comment

My first injury - Help!

Yesterday after my "run" (running/walking for about 75 minutes now) I was lifting Kyle out of his car seat and 'tweaked' my knee, I'm not sure how... But anyhow it's been over 24 hours and it's still acting up.

When I stand up or change direction while walking my right knee will 'give out' - I have to catch myself from falling, yelp, and them limp for a few minutes, and then it goes away. This happens at least once every hour.

Today was a rest day, but I don't know what I should do about tomorrow's workout. Any suggestions?

Is my running career over?

Comment

Yeah, DH thinks that we can stroller the boy for the whole marathon. He'll be 15 months

Ummm...this entire post is meant with love... but you know that 15 months is a very, very busy time right? You also know that marathons take us mortals several hours, right? Are you planning on using benadryl or taking something for yourself?

Seriously, I'm just aghast at this suggestion...Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but the act of marathoning has just about killed me...Pushing a baby jogger and having to deal with a young toddler (and physician spouse) sounds like hell to me. I'm thinking you all should work up to this sequentially. IMHO, please try a 5K, then a 10 miler, then a half with the stroller before committing to this decision.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

A lot of marathons will not allow strollers in the race so you should definitely look into that before seriously considering it. I have a friend who ran a marathon in Phoenix 2 years ago and when they got there were told that they couldn't use their stroller.

Comment

Don't worry, guys! I know how insane the idea is, and am slowly but surely breaking it to DH. I think the marathon might be a bit much for a lot of reasons, but at the moment I'm keeping it open as a possibility; I figure I'll make a definite decision by the time I've got my base pretty well established and am starting to build toward serious endurance. I have until mid-September to register for one or the other and still get the cheapest entry fee.

Hm, there's an online training program included in the fee...

Oh, yeah. So, point being, I'm planning to get a babysitter for the race (and for my longer training runs.) In fact, there's a chance I could coerce my mom into coming down.
                          Alison

Comment

Jodi -

Don't get discouraged! Almost anyone training for anything "tweaks" something from time to time. Try to ice and stay off of it (I know, easy for me to say because I don't have twins). Also, don't underestimate the power of Aleve/Advil (basically anything your significant other would call an NSAID) - it really makes a difference if you take them every few hours. Also keep in mind that inflammation is much worse at night so don't over-exert in the morning or you'll be hurting in the evening.

Good luck! I'm thinking of you.

Comment

Sorry, I got stuck on the "first time marathoning with a young toddler baby jogger comment" and washed over all the rest.

How do all of you with children find the time to train for marathons? I'm trying to train for the half-marathon in Philly in September and am having a hard time getting any long runs in. I don't know how I'll ever be ready!
                              You try like hell to get three solid runs a week in. Even if two of those three runs are just really solid half hour runs balanced with a long run, that will get the job done.

To hell with any other running plan, as a med spouse, you just can't manage most of them unless you've got money to burn for baby sitters and/or family around. My single biggest challenge is not the marathon, but the training for it. I've run on lunch hours, late at night, early in the morning, when we have adult visitors old enough to watch the kids, when I could drive up to St. Cloud to have another medspouse watch my child. I've paid sitters, used baby sitting cooperatives, the effing-torturous treadmill, and the baby jogger....

I'm sure that this confession reveals the depths of my running depravity, but running three times a week is always on the top of my "must do" list.
                              To really take this to the looney level, I just kind of mentally put this "three times a week" goal into my mind and hope that the universe accomodates it.

My DH, currently averaging about 100 plus hours a week right now, had the temerity to complain about *all this running sh*t*

....And then the feral she-beast within awoke....Smoke curled out of my ears and fangs unsheathed....I think that I persuaded him of my point of view pretty quickly.

Running is my happy hour. I've been a good sport about...oh...I don't know...A DECADE OF effing SURGICAL TRAINING. Be a good sport, suck it up, and let me pound out a few miles on the pavement instead of on you.

In truth, however, you just have to let some goals go. I may have to walk a significant portion of my January marathon because of inadequate training. I guess that I'll just have to accept that this is where I am right now. You have to keep in mind that the greatness is in the distance and just getting out there...not in the numbers.

O.K. with this confession, I'm slinking back off to my cave...

Happy running.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

don't know what I was doing in the marathoning thread ... sorry guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X