Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Accountability group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MENTION=1889]SoonerTexan[/MENTION], great job on 6 miles!! I've had good results with calf compression sleeves to prevent shin splints. Have you been fitted for running shoes? Aren't chance it's time to replace them?

I've been happy with Nike for my running app, but all of you guys are on Strava, so I finally joined. Please add me, too!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• Okay, I decided I really wanted to test-drive this concept of going for a run before DH gets up. (This is how I plan to stick to a training schedule over the summer when I don't have consistent M-F child care, by getting my workouts done before 9am.) He was skeptical I could do it, especially without an alarm, but I got up just about 6 hours after we turned lights out, and I have my running clothes all ready to go! So I am going to sit here and wake up a little, finish about 1/4 of my coffee, and then hit the road by 7:30. Only planning about 3-4 today, but it's the getting up -- and leaving the kids unsupervised -- that's huge! I am nervous but determined.

One thing though is that my cousin recently started having back issues after running, and a physical therapist told him that running first thing could be a problem because your "spine refills overnight." Well, I googled it and it's basically an actual thing, being horizontal causes your spinal fluid to increase pressure in your discs (?) which leaves them more prone to compression injuries (?) and strength trainers are recommended not to lift and runners not to run within an hour of waking up and being vertical again. I can't wait that long, so I'm sitting here doing gentle stretches and trying to get my CSF to equalize. Feeling like a bit of a doof though. >.<

Edit: I did it! Four miles, and I got home before DH even got up! Kids are still here and uninjured as well. At least, I think so…haven't actually seen the 9yo yet...
      Last edited by spotty_dog; 04-10-2016, 09:24 AM.
      Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
        I've been happy with Nike for my running app, but all of you guys are on Strava, so I finally joined. Please add me, too!
        Yay, gotcha! You should be able to sync what you had on Nike to the Strava site too, if you want to see it aggregated there.
        Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Yay, gotcha! You should be able to sync what you had on Nike to the Strava site too, if you want to see it aggregated there.
          I tried. I googled it, and it looks like they used to have that functionality, but not anymore. I saw some third party sites that might be able to import it, but I'm not sure I want to risk giving my info to them.
          Laurie

Comment

• Ah, boo. If it won't go automatically, can you at least export to GPX and then manually upload? I'm sure it'd be a pain to get a significant amount of data transferred that way though.
            Alison

Comment

Ah, boo. If it won't go automatically, can you at least export to GPX and then manually upload? I'm sure it'd be a pain to get a significant amount of data transferred that way though.
              Good idea. I might try that...
              Laurie

Comment

• Hey guys! I noticed there hasn't been any Fitbit challenges lately. Are you guys still doing them?
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

• We have missed a couple of weeks! Let's do one -- I'll start it, and if I miss any iMSN'ers that are on your friend lists, add 'em on!
                  Alison

Comment

• My Fitbit was wonky for a while, but now it's working a little better (and a replacement is on its way) so I'm trying to get back into tracking all my steps.

Comment

• That's great! I know your reservations about working out early are different from mine (as in, I like to sleep and you actually have morning responsibilities) but it has been REALLY wonderful to do it first thing in the morning before anything else can get in the way. Now that I've established the habit I can be a little more lax -- I really only NEED to be at the gym by 7:30 on Wednesdays and Fridays but most other days I still get there early.

And you will certainly adjust to working out first thing. It has turned into a sacred time, even if it's at a gym. Also, between the FitBit challenges and the fact that the same 3-5 people are at the gym every morning it's a nice accountability routine.

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                      Okay, I decided I really wanted to test-drive this concept of going for a run before DH gets up. (This is how I plan to stick to a training schedule over the summer when I don't have consistent M-F child care, by getting my workouts done before 9am.) He was skeptical I could do it, especially without an alarm, but I got up just about 6 hours after we turned lights out, and I have my running clothes all ready to go! So I am going to sit here and wake up a little, finish about 1/4 of my coffee, and then hit the road by 7:30. Only planning about 3-4 today, but it's the getting up -- and leaving the kids unsupervised -- that's huge! I am nervous but determined.

One thing though is that my cousin recently started having back issues after running, and a physical therapist told him that running first thing could be a problem because your "spine refills overnight." Well, I googled it and it's basically an actual thing, being horizontal causes your spinal fluid to increase pressure in your discs (?) which leaves them more prone to compression injuries (?) and strength trainers are recommended not to lift and runners not to run within an hour of waking up and being vertical again. I can't wait that long, so I'm sitting here doing gentle stretches and trying to get my CSF to equalize. Feeling like a bit of a doof though. >.<

Edit: I did it! Four miles, and I got home before DH even got up! Kids are still here and uninjured as well. At least, I think so…haven't actually seen the 9yo yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by ballibeg View Post
                        OK if I ask to follow on Strava? Always motivating to see friends training.
                        Of course, I'll PM you my name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• [MENTION=1488]ladymoreta[/MENTION], I've been fitted for shoes and they are pretty new, but I may try the compression sleeves. The foot ones have been helping for the plantar fasciitis.

I had similar issues as I approached 6 miles years ago, which leads me to believe I probably need to be doing less running and more of something with less impact eventually. I want to meet some goals soon first though. Then maybe I'll join DH on the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                            Hey guys! I noticed there hasn't been any Fitbit challenges lately. Are you guys still doing them?
                            I can't find you on my list of friends....

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                              I can't find you on my list of friends....
                              She switched to a pseudonym, but don't worry, she's partying with us now.
                              Alison

Comment

She switched to a pseudonym, but don't worry, she's partying with us now.
                                Fiestas?

Comment

Working...
                                X