Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

30 days, 30 new recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 days, 30 new recipes

Hey, I'm in. No crockpot, though. My goal will be to do 30 balanced and healthy and mostly organic meals. I'm obsessed with my Five Factor Fitness book so I'm going to try and follow the guidelines set in there.
    The five criteria are:
    1. Low-fat, quality protein
    2. Low-GI carbohydrate
    3. Fiber
    4. Healthy fat
    5. Sugar-free beverage

Also keep in mind, that I'm only cooking for 1 or 2 people so my recipes will probably seem small. But... maybe my recipes will contribute to some new years resolutions (like my own!)

Sounds fun. Just a hunch, but I don't think I could swing it every day. My Cook's Illustrated "Family Cookbook" has a nice crockpot section. Let me know if you need ideas and I can give you some recipes from there.

The leftover thing is a great skill that I would like to improve. A few years ago I saw a cooking class for "kitchen efficiency". Sounds boring and home-economics-ish but the menus looked really good. Gourmet home economics. The idea was basically that everything got used. Roast a chicken, have that for dinner, use the leftovers for another meal, use the carcass to make stock, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
      30 days, 30 recipes, 1 chicken.

That is cookbook material! You go!

Comment

I'm in!! If you look at the old posts you will see I have asked for crockpot recipes every year!!!!!!!!I love to cook and it is very relaxing for me. Saturday I was so stressed because I started my LAST semester, I had one dish in the oven, one on top of the stove, and one in the crockpot!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'll play. I love this idea.

If you (we all) post the recipes in advance we could cook the same recipe on the same day and then compare notes... (really, I wasn't one of those girls who couldn't go to the bathroom alone...) Am I making this more difficult than you intended?! :! What was your idea again?

Anyway, however you want to do this, count me IN!

Jodi

Comment

This sounds fun. I don't have a crockpot either but will try to stick to your recipes or make something similar. I'm getting sick of same old stuff too, but usually too tired to do anything fancy. A few weeks ago I got a duck in an attempt to try something new. Needless to say it's still sitting in my freezer.

Comment

Recipes later today. We're having a snow day! (in honor of 2 inches of snow ).

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                This sounds fun. I don't have a crockpot either but will try to stick to your recipes or make something similar. I'm getting sick of same old stuff too, but usually too tired to do anything fancy. A few weeks ago I got a duck in an attempt to try something new. Needless to say it's still sitting in my freezer.
                Mmmmm, I love duck!! Let me know what you are considering, but I always love a good citrus glazed fowl on top of some polenta!

Comment

I'm not a big fan of polenta but would like to try the citrus glaze. Can you post the recipe?

Comment

I'm in- I'm going to have to figure out inspiring dishes for one. I can't do 15 days of chili leftovers, etc.

I can break things down into two person meals and have lunch for the following day. (nikolai can have whatever I'm having- he's good about trying things, as long as they aren't green))

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                      I'm not a big fan of polenta but would like to try the citrus glaze. Can you post the recipe?
                      http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/vie ... 366#121366

Comment

Okay...here is the index of Crock Pot recipes from the Cooks Illustrated Family Cookbook. If you see something you like, I'll come back and post the ingredient list.

Texas style Chili Con Carne
                        Weeknight Chili
                        Beef and Barley Soup
                        Hearty Beef Stew
                        Guinness Beef Stew
                        Hungarian Beef Goulash
                        Mexican-Style Pork Stew
                        Lamb Vindaloo
                        Country Style Pot Roast (variations for Italian, Southwestern)
                        Beef Brisket w/ Onion Gravy
                        Pork Loin w/ Sweet Potatoes, Orange, and Cilantro
                        Pork Loins w/ Cider and Prunes
                        Country style Pork Ribs with Sausage and Beans
                        Barbecued Pulled Pork
                        Barbecued Beans
                        Meaty Tomato Sauce w/ Pork
                        Chicken w/ White Wine, Tarragon, and Cream
                        Chicken Chasseur
                        Chicken Cacciatore
                        Chicken Provencal
                        Chicken w/ Sausage and Corn
                        Curried Chicken w/ peas and potatoes
                        Morrocan Spiced Chicken w/ Apricots

Comment

I can't believe that CI actually "stooped" to crock pot level! I never thought they'd do it (but I'm pleased they have!). I'll have to go find those.

Comment

I think I'm going to go for 30 vegetarian recipes for 30 days. Except that it will really be less than that because we will be going out for dinner before Rick leaves. Maybe I'll start the day after he leaves.

Jenn

Comment

Morrocan spiced chicken with apricots sounds good, I'll try it.
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X