Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you like white meat or dark meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like white meat or dark meat?

Same here. Fine Cooking has done a few features on making dishes with thighs and/or legs.

A few years ago we roasted a duck for Christmas with my mom. I'd like to do that again.

That is what I did per Barbara Kafka. It works!

Comment

ITA Annie!
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I like white meat. We're talking food, right? :>
        I can't stand all the veins and wobbly parts in dark meat.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Depends on the meat and how it's prepared.

White meat chicken can be horrible but turkey legs are a huge pain to deal with.

Jenn

Comment

back in the day, I used to be dark meat all the way...and I loved duck too.
            Now I only eat "the other white meat" - tofu.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

But tofu and chicken are pretty interchangable!

Jenn

Comment

white for food, dark for men (c'mon - I had to make that joke ... I'm married to an Indian!)

Comment

I'm with you, Annie! Dark meat and I love duck!

Comment

I prefer dark meat, the other is too dry. however, I do try to eat it for the obvious health reasons.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I guess it differs depending on how I'm eating the chicken. If I'm going to chow down on the bone of the bird, I'm going straight for the leg. If I'm grilling chicken for a salad or scallopini or something, I'd definitely choose breast meat.

Comment

No. I'll look but I have it in a cookbook, Barbara Kafka's Roasting. If I can't link it, I'll wait for the sqealing to subside and type out a Cliff Notes version.

I made some brined grilled chicken breast last summer that was really moist. I would have it again. I'll post that sometime.

Comment

I found a link to one of the recipes:
                          http://home.comcast.net/~eastmoreland/f ... oings8.htm

Her cookbook is a staple for me so if you like roasting, you might want to check it out.

I just read through the link and it does point out some of the tips in the text before her recipe. It's worth wading through the goose chatter.

Just skip the star anise part and the rest of the recipe should be the same. Or use it if it sounds good. I recall doing something with a blood orange and some Madeira. The pasta recipe is also nice.

If you don't have a good exhaust fan, I would suggest 450 and a little longer cooking time.

The carcass makes great stock. Enjoy!

Comment

Dark. White is too dry. I'll eat it if I have no other choice or in a sandwich with lots of mayo.

And I hate all turkey basically. Does anyone really like turkey? Chicken is so much better.

Comment

I agree- A nicely done chicken breast is great- but I've found it's much easier to handle in the home kitchen rather than the run of the mill restaurant- I think because they require a closer eye, the larger kitchens tend to let them overcook (which for health purposes is better than underdone.)

and I totally agree about the dark meat- must mot be squishy. EVER.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X