Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cooking Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Heidi! I'm waiting for my assignment!!!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I will try to post the menu and recipes by tomorrow morning. Nellie, can you send me the recipe for the cooks illustrated soup? If not, I'll post a different one that looks good.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I have 10 pounds of First Edition onions curing in my attic (they're meant to be great for French onion soup). I'm in!

Nellie, does this recipe look right?

http://www.cookography.com/2008/the-...nion-soup-ever
        Alison

Comment

Yes! That is it or close enough. THanks for finding it and thanks Heidi for putting together a menu. I'm excited!

Comment

I'm in- any cookbook or excuse to buy another cookbook is good with me.

Jenn

Comment

Count me in as well although I'm going to admit I'm just learning to cook, so you'll have to be patient with me. I can't believe I just admitted that!

I've been using allrecipes.com since I don't own any cookbooks. I've been wanting to buy one, but I'm intimidated and there's so many to pick from with no way of telling which one will not assume you know the basics.
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                I've been wanting to buy one, but I'm intimidated and there's so many to pick from with no way of telling which one will not assume you know the basics.
                I used Betty Crocker a lot when I was first learning to cook. It has a lot if pictures of how to do things, and good explanations. I'm not sure what the latest version looks like, but mine is a red binder.

Also, it's not out yet (will be released at the end of this month), but The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond looks like it will have step by step recipes with pictures. It sounds like it might be good for learning. I'm excited - she's doing a book signing here!
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                  Count me in as well although I'm going to admit I'm just learning to cook, so you'll have to be patient with me. I can't believe I just admitted that!

I've been using allrecipes.com since I don't own any cookbooks. I've been wanting to buy one, but I'm intimidated and there's so many to pick from with no way of telling which one will not assume you know the basics.
                  If you are at all nerdy, I highly reccomend Cooks Illustrated. It's not a ton of super-simple recipes, but as you've survived well into adulthood, I'm assuming you DO know some simple throw-together stuff. Cook's Illustrated is cool b/c it teaches you WHY things work, which then helps you to understand how to go off on your own. Plus, I think they're funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                    If you are at all nerdy, I highly reccomend Cooks Illustrated. It's not a ton of super-simple recipes, but as you've survived well into adulthood, I'm assuming you DO know some simple throw-together stuff. Cook's Illustrated is cool b/c it teaches you WHY things work, which then helps you to understand how to go off on your own. Plus, I think they're funny.
                    ITA! DH and I are totally nerdy and love the Cooks Illustrated, Baking Illustrated, and others from America's Test Kitchen. Highly recommended!
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Just this thread and I am totally in! I think I will do the onion soup on Thursday or Friday. We got a ton of beets from our CSA but have consumed them all so may not get to do the salad but look forward to the dessert as well. Thanks for bringing this back and I will post pics afterwards!
                      Danielle
                      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                      X