Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Whose Cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsF View Post
    I feel like I only cook actual food if I have another person around to cook for, even if it's a kid. I've been watching our niece a lot recently which gives me the motivation to make decent food but during the week I feel like I'm getting caught in a cycle of eating quick and crappy meals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's fair! When DH was on a lot of away rotations before DD was born, I practically lived on frozen turkey burgers and steamed frozen veggies. Throw a turkey burger in a skillet, throw some veggies in the microwave, dinner is done. It was nice to not give a crap. I do that for DD now if DH isn't home in time for her dinner.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

For the last two years I worked 1-9pm so I'd cook dinner in the morning and take it with me and leave the leftovers behind for C when he got home, or they'd be his lunch. It took about a year to get into this rhythm and now that we're at my parents I've hardly cooked at all. My moms the cook every night and it hasn't bothered me. I am excited to get back to my bus kitchen on our road trip though. It's small but so perfectly designed for me that I love cooking in it.

My new favorite thing to do is to cook for 4 or 6, freeze 2 servings and eat the rest now. Then it's like magic when I take it out of the freezer later and it's already ready! Miracle!

C has trouble cooking. He wants to be all free form and use whatever inspires him but lacks the basic cooking knowledge you have to have to do that. No, you cant substitute milk for eggs in a recipe, yes chili powder and cayanne are indeed different spices and not meant to be used interchangeably in quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since moving back to my home state we've gotten in a bit a of pattern. I cook at our place two our three times a week. On Wednesdays I cook for us and my parents at my parents house and on Fridays we have the Sabbath meal at my parents and my mom cooks. If I left J an exact recipe he could do it but he is so scientific he can't make any adjustments to a recipe. So mostly I do it myself.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
          Since moving back to my home state we've gotten in a bit a of pattern. I cook at our place two our three times a week. On Wednesdays I cook for us and my parents at my parents house and on Fridays we have the Sabbath meal at my parents and my mom cooks. If I left J an exact recipe he could do it but he is so scientific he can't make any adjustments to a recipe. So mostly I do it myself.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
          I know I've told the story here about DrK attempting to cook pasta in a skillet.....He's awesome at omelettes though.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

LOL. Omg,tell it again. I must hear this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
              LOL. Omg,tell it again. I must hear this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
              Oh, he's just clueless about cooking and housekeeping; really a stereotypical dude. When we were first married, I was commuting for work and away for 2 week periods at a time. I'd come home and the same pot of coffee I made two weeks before would still be sitting on the machine with a layer of mold on the top. Really gross. I worried he'd starve while I was away. He knew how to make omelettes already so, I started simple teaching him stuff like scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, or sauteed veggies. "One pot" meals that could be made in a skillet. Then I was going to try teaching him how to make pasta with jarred spaghetti sauce but he got tripped up when we had to use a pot instead of a skillet. That's where our cooking lessons ended. It was cute when we were newlyweds but now that I'm cooking and cleaning for 3 kids, I wish I'd been more persistent with those housekeeping lessons.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
              X