Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My favorite way to eat zucchini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite way to eat zucchini

Ok, this so does not count as eating a vegetable given what little nutritional value peeled zucchini has in the first place. It's yummy though.

Zucchini cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup oil
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 egg
    1/4 c buttermilk OR milk
    2 c flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup cocoa
    2 cups peeled and grated zucchini (I try to squeeze some water out)

Preheat oven to 350.
    Combine sugar, oil, vanilla, egg, buttermilk in a mixer and beat well. Combine flour, salt, soda, cocoa; sift or whisk. Alternate adding flour mixture and zucchini to mixer, starting and ending w/ flour. Pour into 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until tester comes out clean.

Frost with a store bought chocolate frosting or...

Chocolate Icing

3 T butter
    3 oz unsweetened chocolate
    2 c powdered sugar (break up if lumpy)
    1/3 c milk
    1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter and chocolate over double boiler or hot water, stirring to speed up melting. Add in sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla and stir until smooth. Let the icing cool until thick enough to spread on cake.

Yummy. Sounds great. Do you think I could make it without the zucchini?

Comment

In the opposite direction, my favorite zucchini recipe:

Wash, do not peel ,slice into thin rounds. Sprinkle with garlic salt, saute in olive oil, sprinkle with LOTS of parmesan cheese and cover til the cheese melts. Yum!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm sure you could. I would guess the zucchini adds about 1 c of moisture -- so maybe increase to 2 eggs, 3/4 c oil, and 3/4 c. buttermilk? No guarantees on that version.

The savory zucchini sounds good Luanne. I'm sure my neighbors will have more to pass along.

Comment

Oh, I was just kidding Nellie. I actually love zucchini bread and even zucchini patties. I think the other way it is ...a brownie? I'm just entertaining myself. I do that a lot.

Comment

Too funny.

Comment

When I first saw the title, I immediately thought: MUFFINS!!! One of our HS friends mom's used to make us zucchini muffins and they were soo good. I think I'm going to have to make some now. Yum!
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I make a delicious fried zucchini with a pine nut sauce. I'll have to find that recipe and post it...

(I prefer fried and fatty over sweet any day... Not that it's any better... )

Comment

Working...
                X