Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
    I did a minor binge on her in college -- My Antonia, Song of the Lark, and O Pioneers. After that I got a little tired of the old West themes. She's good though, maybe I should return to read 3 more
    I read all those in college.
    Needs

Comment

• I just got "The Circle", "The Interestings" and "The Newlyweds" off of library wait lists, back-to-back. I started "The Interestings" and "The Circle" over the past week but neither have grabbed me. I'm listening to "The Chaperone" via audio book, and am really enjoying it.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
        I just got "The Circle", "The Interestings" and "The Newlyweds" off of library wait lists
        Ohhh, I loved all of those! Especially The Interestings, that was one of my favorite books I read in recent memory. I thought The Newlyweds was a good, solid read ... not super fast-paced, for sure though. I hope you end up liking it. And The Circle was so crazy weird to me; it picks up as the story moves along.

I just finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd and loved it. I didn't realize that it's historical fiction (loosely based on an actual southern family during the abolition movement) and probably wouldn't have picked it up had I known that (not normally my thing), but I loved The Secret Life of Bees and wanted to read more by that author. I'd recommend it, it was engaging and fairly fast-paced, a relatively quick read for me.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

• I'm on a book binge currently.

I'm reading the 3rd book in GoT: Storm of Swords. Holy *&^%, it is 1000 pages and involves map and family tree references, but it is so well done.

Also, Queen Bees and Wannabes. Kind of makes me hate the cruelty of my gender.

Mindset by Dweck.

All GREAT reads for very different reasons.
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BonBon View Post
            I've read Atlas Shrugged three times and never could make myself read The Speech. *shame*
            Haha! I just tell people I skimmed it.

I just finished Flowertown. I'll save my opinions for when we're ready to start discussing it. I'm back to reading All Joy and No Fun. It's a book on parenting studies. I like the lack of judgement on right or wrong, just laid out there as "this is what real people are actually doing".
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• went with KiteRunner after Flowertown and now reading Flauberts Sentimental Education. after this not sure what ill read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm reading The Circle.

For our vacation over spring break, I intend to sit in a hammock and read for a week. I'm trying to decide between the Dorothy Dunnett Lymond series starting with The Game of Kings, the Wheel of Time series, the Wideacre series or Order of Darkness series from Phillipa Gregory, or something entirely different. I'm obviously looking for a world I can escape in to and several books that stay within that world. Any ideas or opinions?
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• I can vouch for Wheel of Time and Wideacre. WoT is much better, but you won't be able to finish it in a week like you possibly could with the Wideacre series.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• I love Phillipa Gregory, but the Wideacre series grossed me out. Incest to a whole new level. I'll leave it at that.
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Reading a Ben Franklin biography that was always too expensive to get but I found a hardcover copy at a library book sale last year for 30 cents.

Comment

• Newest book: "Same Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe." It is an academic book and extremely challenging to read (at least the first two chapters) because I have no background in Greek. It is heavily footnoted, but it is one of the hardest things I've read in a long time--just to keep up. There are a lot of ancient texts to which the author refers with which I am not familiar. But it is a fascinating and engaging read. Even though it is taking me a hour to get through four pages… It was written in 1994, before the current hyper-politicization of the same sex marriage. It was not written with an agenda, other than to present history.
                        Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• The Light Between Oceans. It's emotionally difficult but otherwise an easy read. I plan to read Flowertown next.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• On Kindle I've got "The Circle" and "The Interestings" - I had to kind of pick one so I am much further along with "The Interestings". On audio I'm reading "Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness", which is interesting so far, and very scary when you consider the subject matter. Parts of it in the first third are a little repetitive and drawn out, but it was the author's experience so I expect she's trying to illustrate just how trying the ordeal was.
                            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                              On Kindle I've got "The Circle" and "The Interestings" - I had to kind of pick one so I am much further along with "The Interestings". On audio I'm reading "Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness", which is interesting so far, and very scary when you consider the subject matter. Parts of it in the first third are a little repetitive and drawn out, but it was the author's experience so I expect she's trying to illustrate just how trying the ordeal was.
                              Is this the bipolar psychiatrist? I read the one on artists/poets/musicians with mental illness but was never able to get through her memoir

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

Comment

• DH has been begging me to read Wool Omnibus so far so good. I needed a break from the heavy biographies I like to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X