Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reading "The Light Between Oceans" in fits and starts now. I cannot tell if it is any good because I always attempt it during late night feedings. I've hit the point where I cannot concentrate for more than a couple seconds. It's for my IRL book club. We just finished "Orphan Train" which they all luuvvved. I thought it wasn't bad for a YA novel; compelling but not very deep. I'm not sure that they noticed that it was written like a YA novel. Not that there is anything wrong with reading YA novels, as long as you know it's a YA novel and not Tolstoy. The book they read before it was "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food" which was truly awful. They didn't want to read "Goldfinch" because it was too long. Not sure if this is the book club for me but it gets me out of the house and meeting new people. My cousin is in it. She has 9 children and never actually reads the books. She comes for the wine. Maybe I should read less and drink more.

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
    Now I'm listening to "Labor Day" and I have mixed feelings about it so far. I'm almost halfway through.
    One perk of the book club. . . Joyce Maynard actually baked pies with my IRL book club when she passed through here on a promotion tour for the Labor Day movie. How cool is that? I missed it because I was too busy with babies but, Wow. Maybe I'll stick it out with this book club.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Read them but no Starz. When they are on streaming somewhere, I'll watch. I loved the White Queen and Red Queen but couldn't get in to the White Princess - it's on my Kindle waiting for me. And sadly, I feel like I missed out on a lot at the Tower because after my kid passed out I was a little distracted! We did get to see the private quarters of the guards while he was getting medical attention - and then we got head of the line later at the Crown Jewels because the guards were being nice to us. It's weird to be there in person when you've read so much because you keep trying to imagine it all and it doesn't fit what's already in your head.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• Looking for good book. I have never been into reading but find myself wanting to curl up with a book and relax. Anything that is sure to get me addicted.
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by bokelley View Post
          Looking for good book. I have never been into reading but find myself wanting to curl up with a book and relax. Anything that is sure to get me addicted.
          The Goldfinch was pretty engaging.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• I'm listening to a Henning Mankell "Wallander" book on Overdrive since I didn't want to bring a real book on my work trip last week. It's good, I think if I stick to the light fluff with audiobooks I won't miss too much with my constant zoning out. I'm also reading The Cuckoo's Calling, which is the recent mystery novel by JK Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith. It's nothing incredible, but I find it really fun, and it has her unique and enjoyable voice. I would say as JK Rowling goes, it's not a masterpiece, but as fluffy mysteries go, it's great.
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

• I devoured Flowertown on vacation last week. It was engaging but plot twists at the end were pretty bad. Right before leaving for the airport I purchased Kite Runner because it seems like people have raved about it for years. I'm only about 25% through but about to rip my eyes out. Light reads can provide a nice break but I'm definitely in the mood for something more dense. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                I devoured Flowertown on vacation last week. It was engaging but plot twists at the end were pretty bad. Right before leaving for the airport I purchased Kite Runner because it seems like people have raved about it for years. I'm only about 25% through but about to rip my eyes out. Light reads can provide a nice break but I'm definitely in the mood for something more dense. Any suggestions?
                What's your style? Among the less fluffy books in my to-read pile are Jhumpa Lahiri's The Lowlands and a couple of Joan Didion's essay collections, Slouching Towards Bethlehem and The White Album. And neither of those are very dense. I read mostly fluff lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                  What's your style? Among the less fluffy books in my to-read pile are Jhumpa Lahiri's The Lowlands and a couple of Joan Didion's essay collections, Slouching Towards Bethlehem and The White Album. And neither of those are very dense. I read mostly fluff lately.
                  Ah, Lahiri is good! I read her stuff in college, I'll have to check out Lowlands. I tend to binge read authors so I've read most works by people like Faulkner, V. Woolf, Edith Wharton, Tolstoy. Recent years tending towards contemporary guys like Banville, Murakami, Per Petterson, and most recently Houellerbecq.

Kite Runner is good but I have a craving for dense language and long sentences

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                    Ah, Lahiri is good! I read her stuff in college, I'll have to check out Lowlands. I tend to binge read authors so I've read most works by people like Faulkner, V. Woolf, Edith Wharton, Tolstoy. Recent years tending towards contemporary guys like Banville, Murakami, Per Petterson, and most recently Houellerbecq.

Kite Runner is good but I have a craving for dense language and long sentences
                    Have you binged on Willa Cather yet? My mom recently read her entire oeuvre and passed a couple antique hardcovers on to me. I really enjoyed Death Comes for the Archbishop.

Comment

• I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice. Next will be Northanger Abbey. I'm on a Jane Austen kick (just finished Sense & Sensibility). Hehe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

• Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                        I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice. Next will be Northanger Abbey. I'm on a Jane Austen kick (just finished Sense & Sensibility). Hehe!

P&P is my favorite book in the world! Though, I'll give a shoutout to Jane Eyre too (my second favorite). Not quite up to Jane Austen's wit, but enjoyable, nonetheless!

Comment

• I decided this is the year of old books that I never got around to reading. Except for Crime & Punishment. I made it halfway over two years and just could not read another word. LOL

Veronica
                          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I decided this is the year of old books that I never got around to reading. Except for Crime & Punishment. I made it halfway over two years and just could not read another word. LOL

Haha ive given up on ever completing unfinished reads. Whether i start from the beginning or pick up where i left off ive never succeeded!

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

Comment

I decided this is the year of old books that I never got around to reading. Except for Crime & Punishment. I made it halfway over two years and just could not read another word. LOL

I love this idea!! What's awesome is that most classics are free on Amazon. I've read Atlas Shrugged three times and never could make myself read The Speech. *shame*

Right now all I'm reading is pure fluff that takes zero brain power (YA stuff, mostly) and nutrition textbooks. I finally got The Goldfinch from the library but was only allowed to keep it for 14 days. Boo. Wasn't able to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                                Have you binged on Willa Cather yet? My mom recently read her entire oeuvre and passed a couple antique hardcovers on to me. I really enjoyed Death Comes for the Archbishop.
                                I did a minor binge on her in college -- My Antonia, Song of the Lark, and O Pioneers. After that I got a little tired of the old West themes. She's good though, maybe I should return to read 3 more

Comment

Working...
                                X