Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blah. Hated Crime and Punishment and pretty much every other book I was compelled to read in high school.

I am terribly picky with books though.

Worst book I ever read: "The Good Earth." Horrid. If someone here actually liked that book, my head might actually explode. Mind blown. 4 stars on Amazon. No fucking way.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

• What are you reading?

Vishenka needs to practice teaching Russian on US. Seriously. British Lit and Russian Lit are my go to's if I'm feeling all educated and stuff. I haaaaaate American Lit. I kept apologizing to my teen last year when he was studying it. Ethan Frome? The Sun Also Rises? Blech.

Gimme some Kafka. I can tolerate O'Henry and Poe though - so maybe it's just the novelists I hate.
      Last edited by Sheherezade; 11-21-2013, 10:19 AM.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• Originally posted by diggitydot View Post

I also REALLY love Russian composers. I sometimes think I was born in the wrong era on the wrong continent.
        Are we talking Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky or Shostakovich and Prokofiev? I love me some Schnittke.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
          Are we talking Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky or Shostakovich and Prokofiev? I love me some Schnittke.
          Some of my faves are Tchaikovsky, Shotsakovich, Stravinsky, and Mussorgsky. I'm not really a Rimsky-Korsakov or Rachmaninoff fan. They're OK, just not the top of my list.

Comment

• What about nonfiction stuff?? I loved Daring Greatly and The Last Lecture ( very inspirational, not depressing). David McCullough's John Adams and other books are great as well.

Not exactly nonfiction but I like some of the Jeff Shaara books as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyFoot View Post
              I'm halfway through an ebook called "The Devil Wears Scrubs" by Freida McFadden. I saw it mentioned on a blog somewhere and it was .99, so I downloaded it. The author is a resident, I think, and the book is a fictionalized version of her intern year. It's both hilarious and terrifying, considering my dh is a 4th year student and will be heading into that next year, but I'm loving any glimpse I can get into his world.
              I read House of God right before DH started medical school. Definitely freaked me out.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• I have been reading "If Aristotle's Kid had an iPod" while waiting for kids. Next up is "Blessed are the Bored in Spirit" -- I help with the high school youth group at church.
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

• I just started "A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty" and am still slogging through "American Gods"...which I actually really, really enjoy but do not have time to pick up my Kindle these days. Hoping to finish it up over Thanksgiving. There are three other Gaiman novel's I'm itching to get into...
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Can you tell where I am in my current life by this list?
                    "Smart but Scattered"
                    "Taking Charge of ADHD"
                    "Quiet Kids"
                    "Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students"
                    Each day's selection from this list is based on which kid I'm struggling the most to understand and help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

• Moonwalking with Einstein: the Art and Science of Remembering Everything -- a journalist's story of how he learned how to better use his crummy memory and eventually win the USA memory championship.

it's due back at the library tomorrow. I better hurry up and finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                        Can you tell where I am in my current life by this list?
                        "Smart but Scattered"
                        "Taking Charge of ADHD"
                        "Quiet Kids"
                        "Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students"
                        Each day's selection from this list is based on which kid I'm struggling the most to understand and help.
                        My favorite genre, stuff to help me help my kids! I just finished "The Read-Aloud Handbook", "Guiding the Gifted Child" (though I'm still not positive my kids are necessarily in that category), and "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics". On to "Mindset: the New Psychology of Success."

I also picked up "Where'd You Go Bernadette" but I am nervous to start in case I don't like it! I am out of practice reading fiction.
                        Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                          My favorite genre, stuff to help me help my kids! I just finished "The Read-Aloud Handbook", "Guiding the Gifted Child" (though I'm still not positive my kids are necessarily in that category), and "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics". On to "Mindset: the New Psychology of Success."

I also picked up "Where'd You Go Bernadette" but I am nervous to start in case I don't like it! I am out of practice reading fiction.
                          I'm reading Mindset right now. Lurve it; lots of food for thought. I bought it for my kids, but am finding it applies to my own life as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                            I'm reading Mindset right now. Lurve it; lots of food for thought. I bought it for my kids, but am finding it applies to my own life as well.
                            Great minds think alike! I loved the bit in the intro about John McEnroe hating tennis even though he was so talented. I've always told my kids that excelling at anything takes at least two of the three: talent, passion, hard work.
                            Alison

Comment

• Reading "Backseat Saints" by Joshilyn Jackson (well, listening to it). I finished "A Grown Up Kind of Pretty" about a week ago and really enjoyed it. So far, I like this one much better - it's a little dark but also sweet and full of southern whimsy. Plus, the author reads the audio version and I really like when that happens.
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                                I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It's a really wonderful book and I have no clue how it escaped my childhood reading, but I'm catching up now!

LSW, that's exactly what I'm reading right now! Got it at a library book sale a little while ago and started it yesterday. I finished Midwives by Chris Bohjalian and really like it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X