Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
    Re-reading Ender's Game.

#nerd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol then so am I. I did that last winter.

I read Defending Jacob. I guess I am the dissenting voice here. I thought it was good, but not great. It was really slow and repetitive at points for me.

I am currently reading Allegiant and listening to the Uglies series and am on book four, Extras. It hasn't been a great series, but easy listening. I've also picked up Scored from the library. Not sure if I will end up reading it. Yes. I am a young adult genre whore.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

My daughter (14) loved the Uglies series but hated Divergent series. Just goes to show you, reading is personal. Lol
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
        My daughter (14) loved the Uglies series but hated Divergent series. Just goes to show you, reading is personal. Lol
        I can 100 percent appreciate why she felt that way about them. I personally wasn't attached to either like I have been other books (Hunger Games, Graceling.. ). You are right, reading is very personal.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

LJane, I also didn't care for Defending Jacob. I just wanted everybody to shut up in that book. Although, I did appreciate the surprise ending!
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I've just joined a book club that a few friends also belong to and I'm not really feeling their selections. It's a lot of SUPER religious older (60s+) ladies and a couple of us in our 30s. They apparently really like mid-life, angsty, Sweet-Valley-High-turns-50-and-cheats-on-their-cancer-riddled-spouse-and-begs-forgiveness-by-signing-up-for-cooking-classes kinds of stories. That isn't my bag.

If I'm stuck reading a shitty story that I couldn't care less about, I'd at LEAST like the writing to be decent. No such luck.

Comment

DD, not a fan of those either. They have a huge following though....
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Apparently, it's not uncommon in this "club" for people to bag the book and just go to hang out and chat, which is fine. I holding out hope some of the hostesses start making better choices, though. I have accepted that there won't be any edgy choices, but it kinda bums me out.

Comment

Maybe we should start up the iMSN book club again. The only book club I've ever been in didn't invite me back after I disclosed my agnosticism. To be fair, they did want to discuss religious books.

Did you guys know there is such a thing as...Amish romance?! Our library has a ton of them on ebook.

Comment

Recently finished Jan Guillou's "The road to Jerusalem". It was solid historical fiction and the first instalment of a trilogy.

Comment

My only book club is a mother daughter one with my teenager. We are starting to read some better books now that they are older. It's been a lot of dystopia YA thus far. At least it's interesting.

We just did a poetry month with Caroline Kennedy's collection "She walks in Beauty" because we were all feeling lazy at the start of the school year and wanted to just each pick a few poems we liked. And then, there is chatting.

I'd be up for an iMSN book club again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal
                      Angie

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post

Did you guys know there is such a thing as...Amish romance?! Our library has a ton of them on ebook.
                        STOP!!! That's SO funny! (I went to school in a very Amish area, so I think I find this more amusing than I should).

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                          My only book club is a mother daughter one with my teenager. We are starting to read some better books now that they are older. It's been a lot of dystopia YA thus far. At least it's interesting.

We just did a poetry month with Caroline Kennedy's collection "She walks in Beauty" because we were all feeling lazy at the start of the school year and wanted to just each pick a few poems we liked. And then, there is chatting.

I'd be up for an iMSN book club again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal
                          Which dystopian YA did you read? I've read a few books that could be described that way recently, and enjoyed them.
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                            MIL LOVES those.
                            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

What are you reading?

Matched series, Divergent series, Ship Breaker, City of Ember, the latest Lowry book (can't remember the name) and...there's a series with like 13 books that's usually shelved with the adult fiction that we started awhile back. Main character is something like Walker? I read the first and my daughter plowed through the remaining 12. She's also read the Uglies series. Lately, she's in to urban fantasy though. She reads a lot. I thought I read a lot but she laps me. Crazy voracious.

ETA: I enjoyed these too but I think after Hunger Games kicked off as such a trend my uber hipster daughter decided dystopia had to go. Lol I'm so glad beyond worrying about how what books I like reflect on my coolness. Then again, maybe it's just that adults don't talk about books as much as teen girls.
                              Last edited by Sheherezade; 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM.
                              Angie

Comment

iMSN book club, FTW!

Those of you who read "Defending Jacob" and thought it was so-so, I can agree with you on it being a little long winded. After finishing it up and getting to the courtroom scenes, I definitely found it to be a little cumbersome and repetitive. I get that real courtroom proceedings can sometimes be like that but it read like a very, very long court transcript. The story, however, I really enjoyed. After wrapping it up on Sunday, overall I thought it was a great read, if a little dull during the trial parts. The surprise ending, though - whoa!

Now I've moved on to the audio version of "Dark Places" and I am officially 7 books shy of my 50 book goal for 2013!!
                                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X