Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
    DH has been begging me to read Wool Omnibus so far so good. I needed a break from the heavy biographies I like to read.
    Oooh...that's one of my favorites of the last couple years; the writing is just so good. I think the first story is still my favorite, but the whole thing hangs together well, and once you're done with that, you can read his newer "sand" series.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
      Is this the bipolar psychiatrist? I read the one on artists/poets/musicians with mental illness but was never able to get through her memoir

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk
      No, this is a NY Post reporter who all of a sudden started having this really odd changes in personality and mental state. It took them months to figure out what was happening and she worsened and basically descended into complete psychosis with weird periods of lucidity, but they couldn't figure out what it was. I haven't spoiled it for myself but DH looked her story up and it was caused by some encephalitic event coupled with a very very rare disorder (? condition?) in which some other factors disallowed her body to do something else and the resulting event was all the craziness described in her memoir that kept resembling mental disorders that she didn't actually have. I'm particularly interested to hear about how they eventually figured it out and treated her - they were ready to commit her to a psych ward for the rest of her life. (Vague post is vague, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may be interested in reading)
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by poky View Post
        Oooh...that's one of my favorites of the last couple years; the writing is just so good. I think the first story is still my favorite, but the whole thing hangs together well, and once you're done with that, you can read his newer "sand" series.
        ETA: the "dust" series is a follow-on to "wool" (includes "first watch" and others); the "sand" series is pretty completely different.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

• Originally posted by poky View Post
          ETA: the "dust" series is a follow-on to "wool" (includes "first watch" and others); the "sand" series is pretty completely different.
          Yup the first story blew my mind. So good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 12 Years a Slave is available for 99c on amazon kindle in case anyone is interested.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Who has read "The Interestings"? I'm on the last handful of pages and feel...mixed.
              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• The Whole Brain Child.

It is a good read for anyone BUT the subject matter has been on my mind. It feels like our culture values logic, ambition, IQ, and success to the point where we are neglecting the emotional and instinctual lives of both ourselves and our children. The book offers analysis and specific strategies to integrate the upper and lower brain as well as the left and right side. Excellent food for thought.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

• It's not on my bookshelf, but I thought it might be of interest to some of you who've bemoaned the pink princessification of "girl stuff" - the review I read said it was kinda basic for people already familiar with feminist critique of popular culture, but had some good information and tools to use to help combat the stereotyping and sexualizing of girlhood: http://www.amazon.com/Redefining-Gir.../dp/1613745524
                  Sandy

Comment

• I'm still on my Jane Austen kick. Reading Persuasion right now. Mansfield Park is next. Oh, and I found the boxed set of BBC movies used on amazon for cheap. 😀 A Jane Austen marathon will be my prize when I finish all the books.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

• The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
                      "She was power incarnate, standing in the crackling air. She was the storm, she was the lightning, she was the adult world with all its power and all its secrets and all its foolish casual cruelty. She winked at me."
                      God I love Neil Gaiman.
                      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

• Anyone know of a good book on child development? I'm interested in learning at what age they learn different things and what their needs are at those various stages.

In the meantime, I'm on a travel memoir kick. Bill Bryson books are fantastic, especially after spending a whole year on the road.
                        Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

• i should have checked how long this Flaubert was. ive been reading a lot more modern authors recently so im having a hard time getting into the characters. prob havnt read for a week because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Am currently reading Mo Yan's (2012 NP winner) "Big breasts and wide hips" and am enjoying it a lot.

Comment

• I love Jane Austen! I could read her stuff several times with satisfaction.

I started a Steven King kick awhile back and I'm taking it one scary novel at a time. I want to read his entire collection which seems enormous. I've finished Carrie already.
                              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

• Let's check in again - what's on your nightstand/eReader right now?

I just finished "A Tale for the Time Being" by Ruth Ozeki which I really liked...up until a point where it took a really weird and totally unbelievable turn. It sucks because it sort of ruined the whole book for me. *shrug*

I'm about halfway through "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb and I am enjoying it a lot. I've only read one other book by him ("She's Come Undone", which was really dark and sad but so well written, I thought) and have to say I like his narrative style.

I also recently finished "That Old Cape Magic" by Richard Russo which was really underwhelming. I'd read "Empire Falls" a few years back and thought it was good, so I snagged this via audiobook from the library. I was one of those books where literally NO character is likable. Overall: "meh".

That brings my grand total to 33 books so far in 2014. My goal is 80 but I may have to keep upping it...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X