Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reading Us now and Dear Daughter is on my list.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• DW had "Us" sitting on her nightstand and I had a weekend alone manning the ice dam buckets, so I read it.
      Meh.
      I couldn't wait to get through some of those reflective chapters - what a whiner.
      Just managed to finish it to find out what happened.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        I'm reading Us now and Dear Daughter is on my list.
        What do you think so far, MrsK?
        [MENTION=860]migirl[/MENTION] - I know you said long ago you didn't have any more room for another social networking site but I implore you once again to get on goodreads so I can pick through your virtual "shelves" - our reading tastes are so similar! I know, I know, just another thing to keep up with - can't blame me for trying!
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• [MENTION=852]fluffhead[/MENTION] - interesting! I definitely can see how some of the more reflective chapters seemed to drag on and the self-realization he may have ultimately reached sort of took a while to, well, be realized. However, I am one for well written emotional accounts and reflections on a life together, etc. I didn't find it too sappy, either, which I think it could have easily been in the hand of another - dare I say female? - writer

There was an interesting discussion on goodreads about whether or not a man would enjoy this so it's interesting to hear your perspective.
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
            What do you think so far, MrsK?
            [MENTION=860]migirl[/MENTION] - I know you said long ago you didn't have any more room for another social networking site but I implore you once again to get on goodreads so I can pick through your virtual "shelves" - our reading tastes are so similar! I know, I know, just another thing to keep up with - can't blame me for trying!
            I'm just starting it but it's amusing so far.

Comment

• [MENTION=1479]LilySayWhat[/MENTION] - I burned through it in about 36 hours. Happy to discuss if you want to! It was very Gone Girl-esque.

sigpic

Comment

• Has anyone read Time and Again? A friend loaned it to me and I think I'm going to give up on it...just not holding my attention.

Finished another by Margaret Atwood. I think I"m done with her. Have Banville's newest coming to me in the mail.

Comment

• Which Atwood book? [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION]

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                    Which Atwood book? @MAPPLEBUM
                    I've sort of binge read authors, but I've liked Atwood less and less the more I've read. First Surfacing, which I LOVED, then Blind Assassin. I thought it was beautifully written but had a hard time getting into the flow. As soon as I'd start getting into one storyline it was jolting to suddenly be in another. Then Lady Oracle, which had too many similar themes as Blind Assassin for my taste. Do you recommend any? I would give her another. I love the way she writes but tends to be too sentimental / too many common themes.

Comment

• [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION] I agree that the ones you've read are too similar. She has several in that vein, even more than you mentioned. I think that where she really excells is in her dystopias. Try The Handmaid's Tale or the Maddadam trilogy (start with Oryx and Crake). She writes about things that are presently happening in the world and follows political and scientific theories to their extreme conclusions. She has a lot to say and says it well.

Comment

• BTW, Oryx and Crake has a male protagonist. It's an entirely different point of view than her feminist writings.

Comment

• I started watching Outlander last night and am hooked. I didn't realize it is based on a book series...so maybe I will read that next. In May. Because I won't have time til vacation and the book was released when I was 3 years old so clearly it will still be around
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• It (Outlander) is a whole series....8 books! And they're long ones! I got sucked into the series last summer and can't wait until she writes another one. DH and I love the tv series, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

• Oh good! I'm set for the next 10 years at the rate I'm going!!
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Yeah, I was glad I discovered them over the summer (but it was late summer) because I had time to get lost in the first book and really get hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                                X