Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We raided a bookstore this weekend and I left with 'Euphoria', 'Career of Evil' (new Robert Galbraith), and 'Anansi Boys'. (Sadly I had to pare it down from the 7 I'd chosen, and left with just three).

Anyone read any of those? I started Euphoria on Saturday and am really into it.
    Last edited by WolfpackWife; 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION], since you mentioned Atwood I realized I never read the Handmaid's Tale. So I remedied that this week, and really enjoyed it. Thanks! Also, [MENTION=4278]WolfpackWife[/MENTION], I am dabbling in Gaiman as well -- Ocean at the end to the Lane, today.
      Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
        [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION], since you mentioned Atwood I realized I never read the Handmaid's Tale. So I remedied that this week, and really enjoyed it. Thanks! Also, [MENTION=4278]WolfpackWife[/MENTION], I am dabbling in Gaiman as well -- Ocean at the end to the Lane, today.
        Oh, that's a good one! Enjoy!
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

• I'm reading The Magicians, on the first book in the trilogy. So far I really like it. It's kind of like Harry Potter if they started in college. Definitely more adult, and not quite as good, but I love the world in the book.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

@MAPPLEBUM, since you mentioned Atwood I realized I never read the Handmaid's Tale. So I remedied that this week, and really enjoyed it. Thanks! Also, @WolfpackWife, I am dabbling in Gaiman as well -- Ocean at the end to the Lane, today.
            It's a good one isn't it? The MadAddam trilogy is great too.

I'm working my way through George Eliot's Middlemarch. It's a lengthier read. It's a tad choppy with all the plots and there's not quite enough character development to really connect but it's still enjoyable.
            Last edited by MAPPLEBUM; 11-11-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Done with Ocean, that was a good read. Gaiman's brain is fascinating, he's like some of the best Stephen King, with his ability to build worlds and delve into emotionally stirring descriptions.

I am tempted to follow you to Middlemarch, [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION], if you're finding it enjoyable. I do like a book that takes more than a day or two to finish.
              Alison

Comment

Done with Ocean, that was a good read. Gaiman's brain is fascinating, he's like some of the best Stephen King, with his ability to build worlds and delve into emotionally stirring descriptions.

I am tempted to follow you to Middlemarch, @MAPPLEBUM, if you're finding it enjoyable. I do like a book that takes more than a day or two to finish.
                Tolstoy is really the only other lengthy novelist I've read so I can't help comparing. The characters are too bland to connect with, they lack dimension. It's enjoyable but a bit boring. Kind of like what I imagine from Jane Austin novels but I wouldn't know cause I could never get past the first chapter. You should read it just to see how much our opinions differ!

Comment

• Hm, I love Austen, she's like an 1800s version of the New York Times bestseller -- light and fluffy and entertaining, what with all the gossipy characters and shocking misdeeds. I'll try to track down a copy of Middlemarch.
                  Alison

Comment

• Middlemarch is one of my favorites. I used it as a jumping off point for my law school application essay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• I thought I'd update that I'm about halfway through Middlemarch. (53% on the Kindle, LOL!) The plot is starting to actually show itself, and I'm getting to know the characters a little better, so I'm getting more and more into it. Totally ignoring most of the important deeper meanings and imagery and just enjoying the story. But I'm also getting to the bit where we are learning a lot more about the difference between Lydgate (who wants to apply a scientific method to medicine) and the country physicians (who just want to dispense physic and drugs according to the "humors".) So that's kind of a fun insight into where medical training has come from.
                      Alison

Comment

• About halfway through All the Light We Cannot See and halfway through The Harder They Come.

Last edited by MrsK; 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION] I'll be interested to know your thoughts on ATLWCS because I thought the writing was beautiful but something about it didn't grab me the way I'd expected.

I've just finished Fates and Furies, and started Ready Player One and Notorious RBG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                            [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION] I'll be interested to know your thoughts on ATLWCS because I thought the writing was beautiful but something about it didn't grab me the way I'd expected.

I've just finished Fates and Furies, and started Ready Player One and Notorious RBG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            The writing is absolutely beautiful. I love how the writer engages the senses and her use of light/darkness/mechanical/natural/electricity/below ground. Also, the suspense and underlying tension of the novel is moving.

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                              I loved Ready Player One so much!

I've got to focus and finish some books. Currently reading Book 2 of The Magicians, Neverending Story, and You're Never Weird on the Internet.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• Just finished Invisible City about the hassid (so?) community in Brooklyn. Julia Dahl is the author. Very good murder mystery.
                                Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X